• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caramac 1959
Caramac.jpg

Caramac is so called because it was made by Mackintosh's out of caramel; "Cara" and "Mac", geddit?
After seeing this post I bought some last week, but like many things it was not as nice as I remember it. I found it oversweet with an unpleasant aftertaste. Still it only cost a pound for three bars and my husband ate the rest!

After seeing this post I bought some last week, but like many things it was not as nice as I remember it. I found it oversweet with an unpleasant aftertaste. Still it only cost a pound for three bars and my husband ate the rest!
yuk that is sickly i never did like that.

You are lucky then Pete. The post was really aimed at Lady Penelope, who said she had never found chocolate she did not like. They are, to my and many other's minds, absolutely vile.

all evening i have tryd to find info on a sort of compact rice bar about 2"x1"x3". we used to eat, anyone remember them,

I think Thorntons still use only milk fat in their toffees, so they would taste much better than many

If I recall correctly, caramac was a light coloured chocolate type bar that was not chocolate?

Did you ever have the misfortune to try Hershey's original ?

Mike, only just been able to get onto the site. For some reason it didn't connect after my last post. No, I haven't tried a Hershey bar but decided to see what other people thought and this is what came up (not being ironic):

According to MailOnline, the chemical found in Hershey's chocolate, vomit, parmesan cheese and sour butter is called butyric acid. ... They also claim the butyric acid — which gives vomit its acidic smell and taste — gives American chocolate its "tangy" flavor.

Needless to say Mike, I won't be trying one in a hurry!

Mike, only just been able to get onto the site. For some reason it didn't connect after my last post. No, I haven't tried a Hershey bar but decided to see what other people thought and this is what came up (not being ironic):

According to MailOnline, the chemical found in Hershey's chocolate, vomit, parmesan cheese and sour butter is called butyric acid. ... They also claim the butyric acid — which gives vomit its acidic smell and taste — gives American chocolate its "tangy" flavor.

Needless to say Mike, I won't be trying one in a hurry!
Thanks,LP.i wonderd why vomit stunk.no i know:laughing:

As I understand it, Hersheys deliberately add an enzyme to the milk before it is incorporated into the chocolate which affects it (My description would be it makes it "go off"). At one time Cadburys Indian milk chocolate (not for quite a while now though) used buffalo milk rather than cows milk. This did not have quite the "piquancy" of Hersheys, but was also pretty horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back