• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Actually Phil, the tram is going downhill into Digbeth. It was going to Kyotts Lake Road after the final tram abandonment of 1953. The photo is discussed elsewhere on BHF.

Actually Phil, the tram is going downhill into Digbeth. It was going to Kyotts Lake Road after the final tram abandonment of 1953. The photo is discussed elsewhere on BHF.

Yes when I look at it properly it's obvious it's heading in the other direction.

Hello carolina. I have countless pages of stuff about old Birmingham and many of the old pictures were enhanced and re-printed years ago to help me with my venture as a tourist guide for Birmingham. I have resumed my task of de-cluttering and I am sorting out several boxes of papers and while I am at it I will keep looking for the pictures others have asked about.
stitcherm
bgt.jpeg

Not an old pub but it did keep them stocked up with beer. An M.& B. horse drawn drayin 1938.

Hi - loving the pictures, do you have any info on the Board Inn, and a landlord James Donovan.

Best regards

Guy

Using the only two photos I could find of the White Swan Hanley St I combined them together to make this first image. I did this for my Sister-in-Law who, together with her siblings lived there with their parents when they ran it. They were Frederick & Clara Morrall and ran it from 1941 until Frederick unfortunately died in 1947. In those days the brewery wouldn't allow women to hold a licence to run a pub so Mrs Morrall had to leave. My Sister-in-Law tells me that the brewery said her Mom could keep it if she re-married within six months!! The other photo shows her ( in the white wraparound ) with some Family members and a few regulars shortly before she vacated the premises. Although most of the pub is in Cecil St the address was Hanley St.
White Swan A.jpgMrs Morrell & regulars A.jpg

A nice photo showing not only another now defunct public house the Royal George on Park Rd in Aston, but also the now gone from the face of the earth HP sauce factory at the rear of it.

Phil
Hi Phil, It ws good to see that photo of the Royal George pub in Aston. My father was the licencee in 1930. JohnS

Hello Stitcher
I am trying to trace a photo of a pub my Great Great Grandmother used to manage. It was the Shakespeare Inn and the address was 37 Parade according to the 1891 census. Her name was Mary Hayes. Hoping you can help
Thanks Jan

Hello Stitcher
I am trying to trace a photo of a pub my Great Great Grandmother used to manage. It was the Shakespeare Inn and the address was 37 Parade according to the 1891 census. Her name was Mary Hayes. Hoping you can help
Thanks Jan
There is a watermarked copyrighted photo dated 1920 on the site below.

This aerial view dated 1938 shows the pub (colour highlighted) on the corner of Lionel Street.
Shakespeare1938.jpg
image from 'britainfromabove'

And the Google street view below shows it today looking good.

oldmohawk ... :)

the pub is still very much up and running today..below is todays street view

I'm looking for some help with a photograph that I've found. It claims to be the Red Lion on Soho Road, Handsworth in 1929. The clothes the bowler hatted gent is wearing gets the date about right, but the new Red Lion which is listed, is still there but abandoned was built in 1901. Does anyone know what the pub is in the photograph?

Attachments

• Red Lion Handsworth 1929?.jpg
    Red Lion Handsworth 1929?.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 41
I'm looking for some help with a photograph that I've found. It claims to be the Red Lion on Soho Road, Handsworth in 1929. The clothes the bowler hatted gent is wearing gets the date about right, but the new Red Lion which is listed, is still there but abandoned was built in 1901. Does anyone know what the pub is in the photograph?
It is stated that there was a pub on this site since 1829
Is this the Red Lion that was photographed since 1829, mistakenly written down as 1929
Clearly the shape shown in map 1889
red lion map 1889.JPG

Last edited:
I have a different photo of the pub, which is marked as the original Red lion, Soho Road. See below

View attachment 142360

Thank you for the new photograph. Given that practical photography was not really available until the mid 19th century I think a date of 1829 is unlikely. I suspect that both of these were taken probably around 1900 just before the pub was demolished in 1901.

the pub is still very much up and running today..below is todays street view

Well remember The Shakespeare. I had my 21st there on a hot August night in 1975. Coincidentally I shared it with the landlady of the time - don't remember her name - who was , I think, 29 on the same day. Had an all nighter and emerged into the bright sunlight the next morning and just collapsed onto the grass verge outside. Oh to be young again - just a glass of port now!

Back