• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lorry in Cecil Street

great photo..apart from the interest in the lorry photos of cecil st are very thin on the ground

lyn

Many road vehicles, in past times, including cars, were pretty basic. No extras - no all singing and dancing, except those in the luxury price bracket. It was what the working man could afford. They were more easily repaired, often by amateurs.

Many road vehicles, in past times, including cars, were pretty basic. No extras - no all singing and dancing, except those in the luxury price bracket. It was what the working man could afford. They were more easily repaired, often by amateurs.
I can remember my accelerator cable snapping when I was in the Stourport area in my Morris Minor rot-box. It was Sunday and no garages were open in those days. So I bought a ball of string from a paper shop, tied one end to the lever on the carburettor, exited the bonnet and ran the string through the quarter-light window. All I had to do was pull the string with one hand and steer with the other. Oh, no hands when changing gear! Got me home OK and I have this little story to tell which I have not recounted since that very week.

Back