• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford Area

Just found this thread.We moved from Inkerman St Vauxhall to Easthope Rd in 1949.Had good memories of the area even found out after many years they had named a grove after the family.FIFIELD GROVE.Great memory's of Glebe Farm Recand the football matches played there & the Irish Hurling on. Sunday afternoons.Remember some of the names mentioned f rom the grove as well.Times we played on the railway trucks on the sewage farm and the Pears we Scrumped from there in September and paddling in the River Cole.

Last edited:
Hi Dave
Just Been Reading Your Thread About Stechford Station, Well,
I Have it Listed as This, Stechford , On The. London/ Birmingham line was One Of The Earliest suburban Stations, Open end In 1884.
OnlySix Years After The Opening Of The Line,'. Glover Of Stechford Published This Card c 1910 ,
Also may I Mention Aston Station Bridge Carrying The LNWR, line from Birmingham To Sutton Coldfield Was Replaced In 1906
On Sunday 25 the March Of That Year ,
The New Bridge was Placed In Postion In Just 15 and Half Minutes good going I would say compared by today BRS Slogan We Are Getting There
I Wonder If Trains Was Running Late In Those Days Surely Not As Often And As Long Of Today's Standards aye Mate
Best Wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,,,
According to the Warwickshire Railways website, the station opened in 1844, but who built the bridge, the rail company or council and when was it built? Any ideas?

According to the Warwickshire Railways website, the station opened in 1844, but who built the bridge, the rail company or council and when was it built? Any ideas?
According to The London, Midland and Scottish Railway Vol. 5. S. Jenkins & M. Loader:

"Opened for 'short' (i.e. local) trains in December 1844, the first station was a simple wayside stopping place with staggered platforms on either side of a level crossing. The present station was opened on 1 March 1881, when a new line to Aston was brought into use as an alternative route to Wolverhampton, avoiding New Street."

The layout at Stechford became considerably more complicated as, along with the new junction, there were goods yards on the north side to the left of the road bridge and a goods yard to the right of the bridge on the south side. (I don't know if this all happened at the same time but the road bridge would be essential before the goods yards could be used).

I would imagine that the railway built the banking for the road and the bridge. The road would have been adopted by the council and the bridge structure would remain the responsibility of the railway, as is still the case.stech1886.jpg
The 1886 OS Map

Hi,

It would be interesting to see any photos/pictures of Station road before the embankment/bridge
were built. Although it might appear that Station Road hill was all banked up to allow the bridge to
be put in, with the Parkinson works being at a lower level one side, and Northcote Road on the other side,
there must have already been a considerable hill between Albert Road and Victoria Road (station end).

Perhaps the line was cut into the side of the hill, and the removed soil used to create a steeper section
on the lower side .

The signal box marked SB to the right of the bridge was Stechford Frame in the 1950s, and I think
there were also extra lines on the other side of the track shown, as this area had a ramp, and
was used as a marshalling yard at that time.

Stechford signal box was at the other side of the station just above the second of the 4 gardens
bordering Frederick road in the map in post #84 and shown as a small black blob.

Kind regards
Dave

Me ,my brother and father used the station to go to London on Sunday's on the excursions in the 50s 7/6d for dad and 3/7dhalfpenny for each of us.Worth every penny.15 shillings for a good day out.

Found it!! My mom and Dad moved into Kitts Green road in 1937. On his exploration of the area, my dad found the Hall, just before it was demolished. How sad to have lost all these lovely old buildings when other countries keep them for years!
. Here is another of the tavern.

Attachments

• Lea%20Hall%20Tavern%20(2).jpg
    Lea%20Hall%20Tavern%20(2).jpg
    825.9 KB · Views: 48
I remember when this was Ted Haynes! Would you happen to have a photo of that please?
. A couple more for you mizzyjo

Attachments

• Image19.jpg Pool Way Kents Moat 1950.jpg
    Image19.jpg Pool Way Kents Moat 1950.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • Image11Atlas_Stechford.jpg
    Image11Atlas_Stechford.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 64
I have some great memories of Stechford. First one is the swimming baths and being taken there from school in an open door blue and cream double decker every Wednesday afternoon from Archbishop Williams school Tile Cross in the 1960s. It also became a place to meet our "girlfriends" in the evenings. A lot of messing around in the pool but nothing much more apart from the odd kiss. Innocent times indeed!, Later memories of a few beers in the North Star as a mate of mine lived nearby.

I have some great memories of Stechford. First one is the swimming baths and being taken there from school in an open door blue and cream double decker every Wednesday afternoon from Archbishop Williams school Tile Cross in the 1960s. It also became a place to meet our "girlfriends" in the evenings. A lot of messing around in the pool but nothing much more apart from the odd kiss. Innocent times indeed!, Later memories of a few beers in the North Star as a mate of mine lived nearby.
:kissing::kissing::)
we would climb over the fence and have a swim in the outdoor pool. at night when it was hot weather

Last edited:
. A couple more for you mizzyjo
I can just about remember this row of shops. The Co-Op butchers was down to the right and the chippie was further up to the left. I was a paperboy for Axfords when they moved to their new shop in Poolway, next to the new Co-Op.

I don't know where to put this question, so I hope I'm forgiven for this! Does anyone remember Levis's at Stechford? I was in the works office there for a short time but I can't remember what it was they made!! I also worked at the Criterion in Albert Road, in the laboratory and packing. I'm writing my biography for my kids because I wish I had the answers to all the questions I'd like to ask my parents and grandparents. So if it's okay, can I pick a few brains which might be in a better condition than mine is? Thanks xx

Post moved to this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Back in the early 60s I rented a garage in Albert Road from a guy who used to own a Levis
motorbike during WW1. He showed me a groove in the side of the steps down to the garage where
he used to run a gas pipe during the war to start and warm up his Levis on gas then switch over
to paraffin when it was hot as he could not get petrol. He also told me that the bike didn't have
a separate cylinder head, and when you wanted to decoke it you had to remove the cylinder!

In Levis's later days they became known as Leviss. I rang them up and asked them why the
spelling of the company name over the door in Old Station Road had changed, and they
told me that it was because they were always being confused with Levi's Jeans!

Kind regards
Dave

So sorry to be 6 years late! I hope you have found other people who remember your family. Apologies and Good luck.

Back