• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford Area

I must have gone over stetchford bridge hundreds of times but never knew there wasnt a bridge sometime. Was the road, the outer circle lower in those days?

Hi

I can't see that being the case either, as the old station was built at bridge level.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi,
You could well be right Dave, but I have a memory of a neighbour telling me that the original London to Birmingham track was built in the 1860s, and the original station road had a set of gates (presumably before the bridge). From what I remember, he called it 'Yardley Gates'??? Maybe he was completely wrong, but I assumed that the mechanism I found in the Living room cupboard would have fitted the story, with old railway gates having some kind of bell to attract the attention of the stationmaster. could've been for another purpose maybe? I'm no expert on railways! :)

Regards, Jerry.

Hi Dave
Just Been Reading Your Thread About Stechford Station, Well,
I Have it Listed as This, Stechford , On The. London/ Birmingham line was One Of The Earliest suburban Stations, Open end In 1884.
OnlySix Years After The Opening Of The Line,'. Glover Of Stechford Published This Card c 1910 ,
Also may I Mention Aston Station Bridge Carrying The LNWR, line from Birmingham To Sutton Coldfield Was Replaced In 1906
On Sunday 25 the March Of That Year ,
The New Bridge was Placed In Postion In Just 15 and Half Minutes good going I would say compared by today BRS Slogan We Are Getting There
I Wonder If Trains Was Running Late In Those Days Surely Not As Often And As Long Of Today's Standards aye Mate
Best Wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,,,

Hi Dave
Just An Add Note from the last thread I Have Just Put on ,
The First Railway Into Birmingham Was The Grand Junction, Between Birmi than, And Liverpool, Openend. In 1837.
Followed By The Birmingham And London In 1838
, Both Lines. Used Curzon Street As The terminus, I Have Got Picture Two Picture Photo Cards Of The official published
By The London And North Western Railways Company In 1905. Reproducing Companary Engravings Of The Station
New Street Station, and Queens Hotel Were Designed by William livock And Open end In 1854 For The London,'Birmingham and Grand
Junction Lines, Official LN W R. Card Posted In January 1905
The Some What Fanciful Impression of The Hotel Shows The Enlargement of 1911 With The Front Filled In,Tower Like projections,
And Additional Floors, Were All Demolished In The 1960 s Another L N W R,Card
May I Add To You My Grand Parents Had A Large business and Ajoning dwelling Five Hundred Yards From The Curson Street station
For Guest To Stay They was there from The 1930 to 1958 When He Sold The Business and it was called Birmingham train station in Those days
long Before New Street Station was Set Up Best Wishes Astonian,,,,,

Hi all,
I've just been looking on a website about old Yardley which states that (and I quote) "Stechford Station (note Stech not Stich - a railway mis-spelling ?) opened in '44 : the level crossing was replaced by a ramp and overbridge 21 years later." (From a local history leaflet on Yardley and Stechford by John Morris Jones 1980).
So according to this (if I'm understanding it correctly), the Station Road bridge replaced a gate crossing in 1865.

Kind regards,
Jerry.

[FONT=&amp]Hi Alan and Jerry,

Alan, you are a mine of information, - it just shows how much can be learned from this forum.

Jerry, It looks like this work was carried out a lot earlier than I thought, so the station must have been
built after the remodelling of the landscape. Of course, all the surrounding houses in Station Road and Victoria
Roads would have been built after the Ramp was built, mostly around 1900 I believe, but that ramp must have been
a major undertaking.

Incidentally the Stationmaster was still using those steps down the bank in the 1950s, - the wall that retained the bank carried
a huge enamelled advertising sign for Palethorpes Sausages, I wonder if anyone can remember that.

The spelling of Stechford changed over the centuries, I believe it was at one time spelt Stycheforde -a reference to the ford at the River Cole.

I wonder what the mechanism consisted of, A system of pulleys perhaps?

Kind regards,

Dave
[/FONT]

A few more of stechford.

Image27_Station_Rd_and_Northcote_Rd_Stechford_1961.jpg

Image26_Facing_station_Stechford.jpg

Image24_Station_Rd_January_1960.jpg

And the last one for now.

Image23_Station_Rd_Stechford_1959.jpg

All the best Stars
Oh, Stars!! Thank you for that lovely nostalgic meander around Stechford!! Wonderful memories! x

Sad really! But at least they've saved the wall, although it's not the original wall that all my children walked on!!

My mom used to go to lathems up the glebe when I was a little girl, thanks for bringing back memories.
I bought the material for my skirt for my very first job there. 2 yards of black and white check, 1/11d. That was my pocket money gone! Lovely memories these old photos bring back!! Can you remember the smell? I think it was the wooden floor boards and all that material. Lovely. Thank you! x

Thank you so much for those pictures! Such memories!! Do you have any photographs of the Lea Hall Tavern, or............even...... Lea Hall ITSELF!!!!! That would be really wonderful wouldn't it? Also, does anyone have a photograph of the actual Glebe Farm. I remember seeing a picture years ago at the museum in town. It had a Ford Popular parked there.
Jo
Found it!! My mom and Dad moved into Kitts Green road in 1937. On his exploration of the area, my dad found the Hall, just before it was demolished. How sad to have lost all these lovely old buildings when other countries keep them for years!

Attachments

• Lea Hall.jpg
    Lea Hall.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 47
Found it!! My mom and Dad moved into Kitts Green road in 1937. On his exploration of the area, my dad found the Hall, just before it was demolished. How sad to have lost all these lovely old buildings when other countries keep them for years!

Attachments

• Glebe Farm ~ Front view.jpeg
    Glebe Farm ~ Front view.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Glebe Farm ~ another view.jpg
    Glebe Farm ~ another view.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 38
I remember a Derek Proctor - think he was a friend of a friend. Also, believe he had a younger sister but can't think of a name to fit. I seem to remember she had thick, dark hair but may be wrong. I lived in Gillscroft Road, Church Lane end.

Does anyone remember the Co-op club at the Glebe on a Tuesday and Friday? I spent many a happy time there.
Lovely photos, thank you
Yes, that was my brother Deryck, Dido. Our little sister is Sandra! Deryck still lives around the Glebe. Sandra is in Gloucester!

Hi all,
I've just been looking on a website about old Yardley which states that (and I quote) "Stechford Station (note Stech not Stich - a railway mis-spelling ?) opened in '44 : the level crossing was replaced by a ramp and overbridge 21 years later." (From a local history leaflet on Yardley and Stechford by John Morris Jones 1980).
So according to this (if I'm understanding it correctly), the Station Road bridge replaced a gate crossing in 1865.

Kind regards,
Jerry.
Hi Jerry! I do know from history books, that Stechford did use to be called Stychford or Stichford. My mom called it Stichford!

Trai spotting on the bridge in Stechford spent many hours there in the smoke and haze from the trains I can even smell it now. Use to take the #11 ring road bus to Smethwick and also the Villa games

Back