• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs And Clubs Of The 70s And 80s

Attached is a survey of Birmingham pubs from a CAMRA perspective in their newspaper, What's Brewing, of Sept. 1975

Pubs in Birmingham. Whats Brewing.Sept.1975A.jpg

Hi Lyn, I recognised quite a few that I'd been to but the writing was too small on some. Says it all really!
I definitely don't appear on any of the photos as they are MUCH TOO LATE. More Jenna's era really. Funny how the hairstyles and general 'look' take you back isn't it? Our main destination was the Rum Runner complete with hairpieces and false lashes.
I seem to remember going to a pub in the Bull Ring but I'm not sure whether it was the Wandering Minstrel or not. It was upstairs and they had a salad bar which we used to visit on a Saturday lunchtime. Cheese salad (always without onion as we were out on the night) was 6/- (30p to all those who could be in the photos.) We also used to pay a visit to the Alhambra as it was close to the station. It was a bit big really and fairly noisy so if we wanted to chat we would go to the Market Hotel in Station Street.

nice bit of film here folks ...bet some of you know these places i know i do and please own up if you spot yourself..:).

lyn
Used the George many times when going to the Market on Saturdays. Also do you remember theBlack Cat pub in Bromsgrove St a lot of the marketers had a few beers in there.

Am I confused again or did the Royal George once go under the name The Outrigger?

I don't think so, The Outrigger was also called The Ship Ashore and was near Moor Street Station.
I think the Royal George was on the corner of Digbeth.

Hi Lyn, I recognised quite a few that I'd been to but the writing was too small on some. Says it all really!
I definitely don't appear on any of the photos as they are MUCH TOO LATE. More Jenna's era really. Funny how the hairstyles and general 'look' take you back isn't it? Our main destination was the Rum Runner complete with hairpieces and false lashes.
I seem to remember going to a pub in the Bull Ring but I'm not sure whether it was the Wandering Minstrel or not. It was upstairs and they had a salad bar which we used to visit on a Saturday lunchtime. Cheese salad (always without onion as we were out on the night) was 6/- (30p to all those who could be in the photos.) We also used to pay a visit to the Alhambra as it was close to the station. It was a bit big really and fairly noisy so if we wanted to chat we would go to the Market Hotel in Station Street.
Does anyone remember the Red Lion in old meeting St

WOW. Mr Sparks ,thanks for your swift response.
Funny how a couple of photos can quickly refocus ones mind. I was convinced I had visited The Outrigger in my wild and woolly youth. I now realize that I have never been in there but spent many happy hours in the Royal George.
Seems my wild and woolly was wilder and woollier than I thought.:cool::cool:

Nodd the not so confused.

Glad to help :)
Maybe the ship sign on the George made you think of the Outrigger :D

Possibly,however somewhat embarrassing for a former Royal Marine with sea service not to recognise the difference between a full rigged warship and an outrigger.:(

Nodd the not so nautical

Nice to see the old pubs of Brum used to drink in the outrigger moor street in the late 60s early 70s past of my mis spent youth lol

I remember the"Royal George", did drink a couple in there, though not often. was a real novelty when it first opened. Paul

Back