• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stockland Green

By 1953, when the trams ceased, the BSA shop was now advertising radios. Harpers were still there trading as were Wrensons at that time.
I believe tram 320 has been commented on BHF before, it lasted from 1911 until 1950 and was frequently on the Perry Barr 6 route.
An unusual photo which shows a tram on route 1, which only ran from Steelhouse Lane to Stockland Green as a short working of the 78 Short Heath route.

I've quickly read this thread but may have missed the bit about the terminus. Originally the No. 1 terminated at Stockland Green and then the extension was built and Streetly Road cut through to Shortheath Road. The tram number changed to 78. This had originally been intended to carry on further to Witton Lodge Road but never did. Think this is right - it's what my Mom told me and it continues the post above.

I've quickly read this thread but may have missed the bit about the terminus. Originally the No. 1 terminated at Stockland Green and then the extension was built and Streetly Road cut through to Shortheath Road. The tram number changed to 78. This had originally been intended to carry on further to Witton Lodge Road but never did. Think this is right - it's what my Mom told me and it continues the post above.
You are spot on Lady P. I find it strange that when the 65 bus replaced the tram, there was a request for it to continue to the Spinney, this was turned down. Last time up there no 7 to the spinney no 65 back to town.
Bob

Yes Bob, I have no occasion to use the 65 unless I'm catching it from work to town (very handy as it stops outside the office). I did notice that it went to the spinney now - if only it had done this when I was little I wouldn't have had to walk up Jerry's Lane on a Friday night coming home from Salford Bridge.

Hello jennyann

Reading about the Plaza on Stockland Green can you tell me where abouts it was located in relation to Stockland Garage ? I worked for Stocklands for over 4 years back in the middle sixties and can't remember ever seeing the Plaza, can remember the pub next door where many of our drivers spent their spare time but that's another story :)
Jennyann the plaza cinema was on the opposite side of the road to the Stockland pub on the corner of Streetly Rd and Marsh lane.

Right on Alberta. The Plaza Cinema opened in 1928.(There is a photo on this site: https://www.smallheathcircle.co.uk/brum-cinemas.html
This site has black and white photos of all the Birmingham cinemas we all remember.

niccc101,did you work for the McLoughlans? They owned the Stockland Garage for many years, father and brothers. The Stockland Inn was right next door and is now operating as a Chinese restaurant called "Modern China".
Over the years Stockland Green has changed and is a very busy traffic interchange these days.
Yes I also worked at Stockland garage at the filling station part time.

What year were you there Allan ?
Well I think it was 1962 - 1965 as I was an apprentice and had just got my driving licence and was saving for a deposit for our 1st house. I also worked at their petrol station on Shortheath Rd near to Streetly Rd junction where Wheelers wood yard is now. How about you?

Well I think it was 1962 - 1965 as I was an apprentice and had just got my driving licence and was saving for a deposit for our 1st house. I also worked at their petrol station on Shortheath Rd near to Streetly Rd junction where Wheelers wood yard is now. How about you?
Also petrol prices regular 4shilllings and 8p super was 5shillings and 6p

I started in 1964 and left in 1967. Were you at Stockland green or a Short Heath road ? My Mate Ernie Marsden worked part time on the Stockland Green pumps, unfortunately lost touch in the early seventies. Sorry just re read your post re Shortheath road, I used to chassis wash the coaches prior to the ministry inspections at Shortheath road, dirty job but got paid extra.

I started in 1964 and left in 1967. Were you at Stockland green or a Short Heath road ? My Mate Ernie Marsden worked part time on the Stockland Green pumps, unfortunately lost touch in the early seventies. Sorry just re read your post re Shortheath road, I used to chassis wash the coaches prior to the ministry inspections at Shortheath road, dirty job but got paid extra.
We probably just missed each other as I had saved my mortgage deposit by 1966 and was working on my house. The one thing I can remember was when locking up one night at the Stockland green depot was that I got held up and the loose money from the till was taken, lucky I had put the notes in the floor safe.

We probably just missed each other as I had saved my mortgage deposit by 1966 and was working on my house. The one thing I can remember was when locking up one night at the Stockland green depot was that I got held up and the loose money from the till was taken, lucky I had put the notes in the floor safe.
Always remember Ernie telling me not to buy the commercial bottled oil, guess you know why.

Lennon's was the name of the Supermarket that opened up on the Plaza site. Mr. Riego, Manager for a very long time used to live down the road from me in Ransome Road. He was President of the Midland Alsatian Dog Association and kept several dogs at his house in a special enclosed yard. He used to exercise them in the gully behind our house and I would often run into him with the dogs when on my way to Marsh Hill J & I school.

Good day Anyone, my name Richard Downing and I went to Stockland Green Modern School for three years, leaving on 23 July 1959 "that is very accurate date as I still have my school leaving certificate" but spent one year earlier at Slade Road all boys school.
One thing I remember, I must have been about 14 years old and went on a school trip for a week in the mountains in wales, there was about 14 kids and two teachers, you should have seen the teachers panic when I walked out from the bushes with a "bomb" I found, it was only about 16 inches long, it had 4 flights with holes in them. but it got the the teachers attention very fast. my sister Marie went to the same school 4 years later an some of the teachers still remembered.

Hello Richard. My years at Stockland green 1964 until 1970 were spent working for Stockland Coaches full and part time. Welcome to the Forum.

From the left - Grocery (the smell of cheese and bacon!) Butchers (sawdust on the floor had a smell of its own combined with that of the meat) Greengrocery/Fishmongers (wonderful mingling of fruit, veg and fish) and lastly the Chemist (perfumed antiseptic). Rebuilt quite recently but everything's in plastic now so no aromas.

Back