• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley & Alum Rock

Yes, John is my older brother. We lived in the shop on the corner of Bridge and College Roads.
Thanks for your reply Beryl, im not sure if you or John would remember us, we lived right next door to the Rosary Chapel, I used to run around with John, many years ago. My name's Terence, how is he now ?? tell him I was asking about him. We get up to Brum very rarely now, my wife and I live in Northern Ireland now, we have a daughter in Bristol so get over there quite regularly....

Thanks for your reply Beryl, im not sure if you or John would remember us, we lived right next door to the Rosary Chapel, I used to run around with John, many years ago. My name's Terence, how is he now ?? tell him I was asking about him. We get up to Brum very rarely now, my wife and I live in Northern Ireland now, we have a daughter in Bristol so get over there quite regularly....
Hi Terence, I can't say I remember you but I do remember John and Michael knowing some one who lived next door to the Rosary. We also moved away ..quite far away. We live in Adelaide in South Australia. John is fine and I will mention you to him. I have been back to the UK many times but haven't been to Saltley for many years.

Hi Terence, I can't say I remember you but I do remember John and Michael knowing some one who lived next door to the Rosary. We also moved away ..quite far away. We live in Adelaide in South Australia. John is fine and I will mention you to him. I have been back to the UK many times but haven't been to Saltley for many years.
T
Mmm

Last edited:
Sorry Terence, I should have mentioned we all moved to Australia as a family in 1973. John lives here in Adelaide as well. The name Martin McCrory sounds familiar to me. I remember playing football in the playground of the Rosary school with a heap of boys during school holidays.
Do you remember a truck going through the living room of a house on Bridge Road.?

how many of you guys still live in saltley or close to it, and has the Gardner’s shut down .

Do any of you remember the Copes family who lived in Bridge Road near the church they had to daughters Carol who was my sisters bridesmaid can't remember the younger one. Bobg the Gardeners is still going but its a private club now not a working mans club. Bish

Hi. Beryl talking 1957-63 have remembered the younger sister Brenda. Anything else you want would like to know about the Rock and Saltley Imay be able to help. Bish

Tell me about it born and bread in Phillimore Rd there till 1974 used the Labour club in Highfield Rd. Bish.

Hi. Bob. There were two corner shops on Wright Rd. Porters on the corner with Havelock Rd. and Pughs on the corner of Herrick Rd. Bish.

Hi. Bob. sorry forgot Fields on the corner of Phillimore Rd. next door was Harry Longs corn shop Bish

Pretoria road was in bordesley green that is where my now to be wife was born i remember walking her home after a night at the country girl pub it was so nice in those days
My Uncle and Aunt lived in Pretoria Road No 54, they lived there all there married lives, they were Harold and Gladys Fisher. My family lived in Raymond Road Alum Rock, about 20 mins walk away.

I've searched and searched and I can't find a photo of Raymond Road in Saltley!! Does anyone have one please? My sister lived at no 25 and my new husband and I lived in her front room for a while!!
I lived in Raymond Road, Alum Rock. I do not have a photo, but I lived there from my birth in 46 till 56, we lived at 35.

Reginald Road back garden late 1950's, looking towards the back of houses on Ralph Road. An enhanced and colourised picture of my parents in their garden in Reginald Road, with the inevitable shed at the top of the garden. There was an alleyway at the top of the garden, but only used by the people on Ralph Road. We used a shared alleyway between our back yard and the garden to get to the street rather than our front door.

Attachments

• Mom Dad Reginald Road Garden.jpg
    Mom Dad Reginald Road Garden.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
nice photo phil..could i ask what number your parents lived at as i have a couple of photos including one taken during the silver jubilee 1935..if you would like to see them i can post them

lyn

nice photo phil..could i ask what number your parents lived at as i have a couple of photos including one taken during the silver jubilee 1935..if you would like to see them i can post them

lyn
Hi Lyn. It was 42 Reginald Road. Always good to see relevant photographs to pass on to my grandchildren.

hi phil as you most likely know the houses are still there..i wrongly thought they had been demolished but i will still sort out the ones i have and post them for you

hi phil as you most likely know the houses are still there..i wrongly thought they had been demolished but i will still sort out the ones i have and post them for you

Yes that's the house. They had been partially rebuilt a number of years ago as an upgrade to the area, although we did add a bathroom to the house in the 60's, where the outside toilet and coal house were. My parents moved out at the start of the 70's to a house on Alum Rock, although they then moved down to Somerset. I used to play where bombs had fallen during the war, at the place we called 'the flats'. You can still see them now as a strange addition to the street.

Back