• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street Aston

Blimey, I started something here! Lyn is right about New Street - the bus is emerging from New Street onto the High Street.

Lyn, I found another thread for High Street so I have wrecked the forum!!

Here's one taken from where the bus was located, looking back up the hill ....

View attachment 141610
Wow! Thats a really great shot! You can see both cinemas on the High St. the Globe & the Orient. It absolutely captures the feel of going up the road. This area was known as the Monkey Run or just "the Run".
Dave A

Lyn, this 1st photo shows No 90 High St when it was a house. Later photos show it to have converted to a shop ( 2nd photo).
Some members can't recall as to where these places were so I have pointed out Hawkins & Burlington Hall. Sorry for the clarity of the 2nd photo as it's a part of a larger one.high st- Whitehead Rd  Aston copy.jpgHigh Street - copy.jpg

Lyn, this 1st photo shows No 90 High St when it was a house. Later photos show it to have converted to a shop ( 2nd photo).
Some members can't recall as to where these places were so I have pointed out Hawkins & Burlington Hall. Sorry for the clarity of the 2nd photo as it's a part of a larger one.View attachment 141625View attachment 141626
Banjo, I can't tell you how grateful i am to you for finding these. It means so much to me to finally see where my Mom was born, I never thought there would be any actual photos of the address. I only wish she was here to see them herself! Thank you so much. :) :kissing_heart:

brilliant just brilliant banjo i knew there would a photo somewhere...lynn i feel your excitement and just to confirm things your moms house at no 90 is showing well in banjos first photo..it is the house to the right of the shop on the corner..happy days

lyn

was there a diy/woodshop. and a funeral director by the hall? the DIY shop is where I bought fret saw blades from in the 60s.

was there a diy/woodshop. and a funeral director by the hall? the DIY shop is where I bought fret saw blades from in the 60s.
Yes, you're quite correct. The woodshop was further down the street,towards the Barton arms,almost opposite the Globe cinema. I used to buy plywood from there in the late '50's.........………..Mal

brilliant just brilliant banjo i knew there would a photo somewhere...lynn i feel your excitement and just to confirm things your moms house at no 90 is showing well in banjos first photo..it is the house to the right of the shop on the corner..happy days

lyn
Its amazing Lyn! And so kind of people to take the trouble to find these photos. Over the years I' ve tried to imagine what the area would have been like and now i know, and can imagine my Gran and all the family there. Wonderful.

Some members can't recall as to where these places were so I have pointed out Hawkins & Burlington Hall. Sorry for the clarity of the 2nd photo as it's a part of a larger one.View attachment 141625View attachment 141626
Just a quick note to say thank-you Banjo as you have made lmr3103 very happy with your input.

Back