• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street Aston

By the way, the photographs I have posted today date from 1961. Also from that year is this 'fuzzy' view looking down the hill from somewhere near the chippy. It shows a cluster of shops down towards the Globe Cinema. This is interesting in that it shows a dray from Atkinson's Brewery Ltd. The company had been acquired by Mitchell's and Butler's two years earlier but it would seem that the Cape Hill brewery were still running the fleet with Atkinson's livery. I suspect that they were still operating with some autonomy out of Aston.

View attachment 141595

wonderful kieron...the large building in the distance i think would be aston uni...but you most likely know this....cheers

lyn

Back up the hill a bit now to No.101 High Street which was, for many years, the premises of William Henry Owen & Son, a tailoring business. Born at Thornby in Hertfordshire, William and his Halesowen-born wife Edith had earlier kept a tobacconist's shop across the street at No.104, a few doors from Burlington Hall. Edith probably managed the fag shop as William was already documented as a tailor. The couple, along with their four children, moved across the road to these premises by the end of the Victorian period. William Owen died, aged 75, in June 1939 and the family business was continued by his son Clarence who had become a master tailor.
View attachment 141596
Great photos of a road I used a lot but until I saw these photos couldn't even remember those shops. If it's the same one, I remember the tailors shop because in1960 my Dad bought a roll of suit fabric from a bloke in a pub. He took me to be measured up and a suit was made. Problem was, for me anyway, the trouser bottoms were not narrow enough. One day, after I had saved up my part time wages, I sneaked the trousers out and took them to Goulds on the corner of Inkerman St and had them tapered to 14inch bottoms. I don't think my Dad ever did notice the difference.

Great photos of a road I used a lot but until I saw these photos couldn't even remember those shops. If it's the same one, I remember the tailors shop because in1960 my Dad bought a roll of suit fabric from a bloke in a pub. He took me to be measured up and a suit was made. Problem was, for me anyway, the trouser bottoms were not narrow enough. One day, after I had saved up my part time wages, I sneaked the trousers out and took them to Goulds on the corner of Inkerman St and had them tapered to 14inch bottoms. I don't think my Dad ever did notice the difference.
I remember Goulds for the same reason...it was across from The House that jack Built. Unfortunately, my dad hated narrow pants so I had to change into them and leave them at my mates house.
Dave A

I remember Goulds for the same reason...it was across from The House that jack Built. Unfortunately, my dad hated narrow pants so I had to change into them and leave them at my mates house.
Dave A
Story of our youth Dave. Our Parents just didn't understand us.;)

By the way, the photographs I have posted today date from 1961. Also from that year is this 'fuzzy' view looking down the hill from somewhere near the chippy. It shows a cluster of shops down towards the Globe Cinema. This is interesting in that it shows a dray from Atkinson's Brewery Ltd. The company had been acquired by Mitchell's and Butler's two years earlier but it would seem that the Cape Hill brewery were still running the fleet with Atkinson's livery. I suspect that they were still operating with some autonomy out of Aston.

View attachment 141595
That's a great shot! obviously a telephoto lens..you can even see some of New St, where the bingo (arcade) was.
Dave A

No I wasn't expecting that! I'm just grateful to see the photos of that area :) Thank you !

getting closer lynn...if you look at the map i posted you will see where it says HALL here is a photo of the hall so your moms house is just out of shot to the left of the hall6 Burlington Hall (6).jpg....would anyone know if it was hawkins jellied eel shop at no 88..i have a vague memory of it being on a corner somewhere around there...

lyn

getting closer lynn...if you look at the map i posted you will see where it says HALL here is a photo of the hall so your moms house is just out of shot to the left of the hallView attachment 141599....would anyone know if it was hawkins jellied eel shop at no 88..i have a vague memory of it being on a corner somewhere around there...

lyn
Wow Lyn that's fantastic!! Silly me getting a bit emotional now thinking thats where my lovely Mom came into the world...

getting closer lynn...if you look at the map i posted you will see where it says HALL here is a photo of the hall so your moms house is just out of shot to the left of the hallView attachment 141599....would anyone know if it was hawkins jellied eel shop at no 88..i have a vague memory of it being on a corner somewhere around there...

lyn
Hawkins was a bit further up Lyn, but not on the corner.
Dave A

lyn
if i remember right it was just past the hall going up the hill on the right, just by a pawn shop/junk shop before the corner of park lane.the woman who worked there had bleach blond hair,i remember her.but that is a pm story

Wow Lyn that's fantastic!! Silly me getting a bit emotional now thinking thats where my lovely Mom came into the world...

dont worry about it i have wept a few times when i have found a photo that means something to me...as i said the photo does not actually show no 90 but we are getting closer...i will check out my aston photos when i have time in case i have one taken a tad further up from the hall..

hi dave thanks for that info i dont know why i thought hawkins was on a corner :rolleyes:

dont worry about it i have wept a few times when i have found a photo that means something to me...as i said the photo does not actually show no 90 but we are getting closer...i will check out my aston photos when i have time in case i have one taken a tad further up from the hall..

hi dave thanks for that info i dont know why i thought hawkins was on a corner :rolleyes:
It's close enough Lyn! It's so wonderful to be able to take a peek back into the past, this truly is a great forum. Thanks again.

Back