• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham songs

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Listening to Folk on 2 on the bbc iplayer last night we were surprised to hear an updated version of James Dobbs' song 'I can't Find Brummagem'. This was written as a music hall song back in 1828 and has been updated by folk singer Jon Wilks who includes a verse of his own which mentions the nightclub Snobs. You can also find this song on youtube.

Lots of songs about other places - are there any other songs about our city?

We're off to the MAC in March to see this singer and hopefully there'll be more to share after that.

A ditty I remember my old man 'performing' way back when was:

You can see the palm-trees swaying,
Down on Summer Lane.
Every Saturday there's jubilation,
They're bustin' all the winders at The Salutation.
There ain't no snow in Snow Hill,
And it's too late to catch a train.
And when it's winter-time in The Argentine
It's summer in Summer Lane!

There was a tune to this, but I'm unable to identify it. It was his 'party piece' at Christmas....where he got it from I haven't the faintest idea. Probably made it up himself, but I don't think he did.

G

There is a link to a video which includes this song at

Blimey, I'd forgotten all about that thread, even though I posted on it! Even so, I'd love to know how and where that song originated.

I spent quite a lot of my mis-spent youth in the Sally, a great place whether or not you actually liked trad jazz...which I didn't very much.

G

G the song is longer than that and i heard it was written by a man who lived in brearley st which is off summer lane but dont quote me on that...got it on cd somewhere..

lyn

Don't recall any of these songs on Juke Box Jury in in any of the Top Ten shows.
Maybe you should have invited Frank Sinatra; he sang tunes about the large places he visited. :D
I do remember, back around 1950 + or - a year or so, being at the Birmingham Hippodrome (to differentiate it from the Aston one) someone on stage singing something that had the words "you can always tell a Birmingham wench". But beyond that I have no more knowledge about it. I suspect it was part of the act and was never used elsewhere.

A ditty I remember my old man 'performing' way back when was:

You can see the palm-trees swaying,
Down on Summer Lane.
Every Saturday there's jubilation,
They're bustin' all the winders at The Salutation.
There ain't no snow in Snow Hill,
And it's too late to catch a train.
And when it's winter-time in The Argentine
It's summer in Summer Lane!

There was a tune to this, but I'm unable to identify it. It was his 'party piece' at Christmas....where he got it from I haven't the faintest idea. Probably made it up himself, but I don't think he did.

G

:)

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,

last night I gave my lady wife a rendition of the Summer Lane Song, in my rich but wistful baritone (!) And she said that someone we knew long ago, now deceased, used to sing it, and my memory was jogged. She was absolutely correct. And she too said there were other verses - wish I could find 'em. If I ever do, I'll put them on here.

G

Big Gee, this was on 'Aston Brook through Aston Manor'

Way Down Summer Lane
About the song called “Way down Summer Lane”. My husband told me it was composed by Bert Mallet who lived in Brearley Street. It was Bert who taught it to me and I took it for granted it was his song. Not many people know the verses to it, so here goes;

Way Down Summer Lane
Now if you’re friends from the country for a day or two,
Take them round the town all the sights to view.
First in Cutler’s for a drink you’ll call, you show
Then the fountain and the Old Town Hall.
Then along Colmore Row, the car you can catch,
To see the Water Melons on the old Black Patch.
But there’s one sight you must not miss.
Before your friends say goodbye, just mention this.
You ought to see the palm trees swaying way down Summer Lane.
Every Saturday night there’s a jubilation
Hear the Birdies singing in The Salutation
Though there’s snow in Snow Hill,
You’ve cause to take the train.
To your southern home where the weather is warm
It’s always summer in Summer Lane
Now you keep on sighing for your Dad and Mam
Your Mason Dixie Line and your alabam.
You say you’ve heard your Tennesse call,
Yet you never saw Tennesse at all.
And your songs from Mandy Land have been done Brown
So let’s have a song about your home town.

We sang this song always if we went on a trip, on coach or train. When we were older and went in “The Little Bull” on the corner of New Summer Street and Summer Lane, or the ‘Barrel’ on the corner of Tower Street. We used to sing ‘Carlo Musseltoff’ which became more popular as a pub song than ‘Way Down Summer Lane’. But if Summer Lane is remembered in later years, as such as Nellie Dean, by lots of us.
spacerfooter.gif

Unfortunately I couldn't see a name on the post.

That was smashing, made and OldBrit very happy thanks to all John Crump in Parker, Colorado USA

glad you enjoyed it john...i love the song especially as i was born off summer lane...i have visions of it being sung around a piano in the pubs down the lane:):)..back in the day of course

lyn

Thanks Lyn, I've seen the song written down before but never heard it. Perhaps we can find some more recordings of songs about Brum. I'm going to investigate the ballads mentioned in Pedrocut's post #2.

I think what struck me about James Dobbs' song was that it's still as true today as it was 200 years ago.

Hi Lyn and LadyP,

thanks for this! It seems that the words my dad sang were slightly different to the lyrics of the genuine song! But that was my old man all over - he used to make up his own (rather risque) words to hymn tunes, much to the horror of other more staid members of the family! As to the long-forgotten and now deceased person my wife reminded me of, who also sang that song - and to the same tune, more or less, as my dad - I really can't remember if his words were the same as those in Post No 10.

Unfortunately, Firefox has in its wisdom prevented me from playing YouTube, why I haven't a clue, so I'll shift over to Chrome later and have a listen.

Best,

G

Hi Lyn,

just played that YouTube recording - yep, the chorus is the tune both my dad and my late friend sang it to, and the one I remember. I never knew there were verses, though! And the lyrics of the chorus on the recording were slightly different both to yours and mine, so I reckon that anyone who fancied a sing in the old days would like as not add their own lyrics - which is what I'm sure my dad did. It's all brought back a few memories of older, less cynical, times. Many thanks!

G

Hi Lyn,

just played that YouTube recording - yep, the chorus is the tune both my dad and my late friend sang it to, and the one I remember. I never knew there were verses, though! And the lyrics of the chorus on the recording were slightly different both to yours and mine, so I reckon that anyone who fancied a sing in the old days would like as not add their own lyrics - which is what I'm sure my dad did. It's all brought back a few memories of older, less cynical, times. Many thanks!

G
thanks big gee
i know its a bit naughty folks and not xmas

Last edited:
It isn't Brummie as my Nan's dad, Harry Bridgens, was from Brierly Hill....but he wrote his own songs. Nan had a little black book of them which 'went' when she re married. But as she used to sing them I can just remember one.
I had to Whistle For It. It was about going without and putting up with things, in life.
He went without a smoke, and a kiss and being alone with a lady and
I remember the chorus......
Oh I had to whistle for it,
I had to go without,
I Had to Whistle for it
In that there is not doubt,
I thought I'd get one but you see I didn't quite secure it,
And thought I was dyeing for that kiss/smoke,
I had to Whistle for It.

We're The Rotundas and we play social and industrial songs from Birmingham and the Black Country. Here's a link to The Penny Sit Up, a woeful tale of an itinerant and drunkard Digbeth broadside printer The Penny Sit Up and a link to our Soundcloud recordings The Rotundas
Thanks so much for that link. Nan used to sing, Clear the way for old Bob Tyler ''it im in'is bally an bost 'is biler.....to Men of Harlech. I have heard so many different versions to John's Brown's Body. The Battle hymn Of The Republic etc. My Teacher Mrs Jenkins who was Welsh sang John's Brown's Body's got a puncture in his tyre. My auntie who ran the Cheltenham boys' home taught me, John Brown's body's got a cold on his chest and they rubbed him with camphorated oil. Bt she was Brummie born.My mum who was from near Stourbridge sang, They scraped him off the tarmac like a pewnd (pound) of strawberry jam. There must be others?
I heard one in Dublin, Up went Nelson and The Pillar too.

William Pratt of 82 Digbeth was a printer of broadsides until 1861 then my 2xGt. Grandfather took over. I don't think he was a drunkard and he didn't leave his family, I hope the song isn't about him!!
rosie.
Don't think so Rosie! To be fair there were a few to choose from, and plenty of scope for dramatic license! Hope you enjoyed the song though?

We're The Rotundas and we play social and industrial songs from Birmingham and the Black Country. Here's a link to The Penny Sit Up, a woeful tale of an itinerant and drunkard Digbeth broadside printer The Penny Sit Up and a link to our Soundcloud recordings The Rotundas
Thanks Nico, we're always looking for songs, or snippets of songs, and tales we can turn into tunes! Do send us any we can adapt, extend or invent!? ;)

Thanks Nico, we're always looking for songs, or snippets of songs, and tales we can turn into tunes! Do send us any we can adapt, extend or invent!? ;)
My Cov Gran sang, "Oh the land, the land of Scotland, shooting peas up a nanny goat's bottom," to men of Harlech. I have CD of my dad's, The Spinners singing The D Day Dodgers to Lili Marlene.
I was asked to tweak some songs for 'around the campfire' 'lifting spirits' for my friend, one of the HS2 protesters to sing, in Crackley and Cubbington. So I changed the words to Nymphs and Shepherds, Oh Dr Beeching, The Teddy Bears Picnic, Liverpool Lou (becomes Oh Cubbington Pear,) a 250 year old tree they are trying to save. In My Liverpool Home becomes Save My Cubbington Pear, and Oh Dear What Can the Matter Be, Boris Johnson's locked in the Lavatory, my favourite. Birmingham History Forum is not a political site so if you want I will send you all the lyrics on a Private Message.

I originally tweaked Oh Dear What Can The Matter Be, before Victoria Wood penned hers. Mine was when our boss got locked in the lavatory at The Royal Show, Stoneleigh,the newspaper that we worked for used to sponsor it. Everybody had gone home and one of the photographers got her out.

My Cov Gran sang, "Oh the land, the land of Scotland, shooting peas up a nanny goat's bottom," to men of Harlech. I have CD of my dad's, The Spinners singing The D Day Dodgers to Lili Marlene.
I was asked to tweak some songs for 'around the campfire' 'lifting spirits' for my friend, one of the HS2 protesters to sing, in Crackley and Cubbington. So I changed the words to Nymphs and Shepherds, Oh Dr Beeching, The Teddy Bears Picnic, Liverpool Lou (becomes Oh Cubbington Pear,) a 250 year old tree they are trying to save. In My Liverpool Home becomes Save My Cubbington Pear, and Oh Dear What Can the Matter Be, Boris Johnson's locked in the Lavatory, my favourite. Birmingham History Forum is not a political site so if you want I will send you all the lyrics on a Private Message.
Hi Nico, thanks, please do send them as a PM or attach the files and we'll download if it's too large to send as a message. Look forward to reading them! Nick, Ian and Matt

Thanks Lyn, I've seen the song written down before but never heard it. Perhaps we can find some more recordings of songs about Brum. I'm going to investigate the ballads mentioned in Pedrocut's post #2.

I think what struck me about James Dobbs' song was that it's still as true today as it was 200 years ago.
Here's a couple of links to our songs about Brum and the Black Country and hope you enjoy them! Nick, Ian and Matt The Rotundas

Back