• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Thanks for your memories- I loved Boogies and like you never saw any sign of drugs but perhaps I was too naive!
We never took cameras out with us in those days, not like having an iphone now was it?!
Back then the idea of a small device that could make telephone calls, allow you to search the internet (yet to be invented) and take pictures would have seemed utterly amazing (I think that Tomorrow's World had suggested that this technology would eventually be possible) Maybe I'm getting old (I'll be 59 next week), but life seemed so much simpler in those days even though it was a whole lot different to what our parents and grandparents had experienced; particularly during the two World Wars.

Back then the idea of a small device that could make telephone calls, allow you to search the internet (yet to be invented) and take pictures would have seemed utterly amazing (I think that Tomorrow's World had suggested that this technology would eventually be possible) Maybe I'm getting old (I'll be 59 next week), but life seemed so much simpler in those days even though it was a whole lot different to what our parents and grandparents had experienced; particularly during the two World Wars.
I'm a similar age to you and It's amazing have things changed since we were teenagers. Life was more simple, and although a lot has changed for the better, a lot has been lost- like the art of conversation when you look round and everyone's on their mobiles! They certainly have their uses and I do feel lost now if I go out without mine. But we managed all those years without them and to be honest I don't think I would have wanted my parents to have been able to track me down so easily back in the day! I'd have had to say the music was too loud in Boogies and I couldn't hear my phone ringing! :laughing:

Lauries International Club, 1997? Does anyone have any information about this private members gay club that was opened in 1997 for the first gay pride?

Going to clubs in Birmingham in from 1980 onwards the theme was disco, new romantic and the general electronic that was popular such as Human League, Depeche Mode and, though they'd been around for a while Kraftwerk. My parents probably hated me playing this sort of music at home though, to be fair, they didn't make a fuss. The place where you'd hear such music was Faces which was basically kids (as were were), dressing up smartly but not especially outrageously. For those who dared, you could go to The Rum Runner which I went to a couple of times. I remember going to see a local band there that was tipped for big things, Fashion, who were supported by a very average group by the name of Duran Duran. It was a small place and you could almost tough them whilst sitting down.

There was one place I went to once in December 1980, I think it was around time that poor John Lennon was murdered in New York, underneath the arches on Livery Street and called The Holy City Zoo. From what I recall it was an attempt to be create an atmosphere where people could dress as outlandishly as they wished. I'd guess that this was part of the 'new romantic' movement and which the likes of the Rum Runner was making a name as the place to be seen.

It was great to see others who felt they were safe as I know that there were some who were chastised for wearing clothes that didn't conform. I liked wearing a smart suit but didn't hold with make up and all that. Besides, what would my dad say!? However, was nothing new and, besides, they were surely not a threat in that way that for, example, Teddy Boys had been perceived a generation previously. What goes around and all that.

There is a wonderful BBC4 programme about British Rock and Roll that is repeated every couple of months that shows these rebels in the 70s. That's funny thing about getting older; you see a different perspective of the rebelliousness of youth. Every generation wants to shock their parents. That said, the one thing I do worry about now is the violence and drugs that seems to go with being young. In that sense I'd hate to be young now.

Sad times for the youth, when I was clubbing the odd skirmish now and then but no real violence
As for drugs NO but I heard whispers about a place called the Tow Rope thats where you went to score.
The cafe that was at the end of the Street I worked on almost.
I have been reminded that the song Whip it Good turns 40 in 2020 yes those guys with the flower pots on their heads ( they were called power domes ) .
I know many here were way past the clubs in the 70's and on, but went to some great clubs before all the places in town.

A massive happy birthday for next week Steve Mc. I am almost 7 years older than you, & agree. Since these phone came on the scene, the art of conversation has completely gone. Life was a struggle at times in the 60's & 70's but a lot simpler compared to life today. I sometimes struggle to use my mobile phone when I am out. Just do not like these android phones. Next, we will be wearing reality headsets whilst walking & talking on the phone.

Last edited:
A massive happy birthday for next week Steve Mc. I am almost 7 years older than you, & agree. Since these phone came on the scene, the art of conversation has completely gone. Life was a struggle at times in the 60's & 70's but a lot simpler compared to life today. I sometimes struggle to use my mobile phone when I am out. Just do not like these android phones. Next, we will be wearing reality headsets whilst walking & talking on the phone.
Thanks Michael. Hard to believe that in a year I will be the big 60. As I am absolutely certain everyone says, "Where did the years go?" What will Birmingham look like in another 50 years when even today's 'nippers' will be old-aged pensioners (assuming that the state pension still exists)!!!?

Thanks Michael. Hard to believe that in a year I will be the big 60. As I am absolutely certain everyone says, "Where did the years go?" What will Birmingham look like in another 50 years when even today's 'nippers' will be old-aged pensioners (assuming that the state pension still exists)!!!?
I know the feeling Steven Mc. I said exactly the same 5 years ago, but as long as we all keep our wonderful memories going & keep our brains active, we will never feel too old even though our body's might fail at times. Lol

Does anybody remember a new nigtclub around the 1966 time. From my memory it was towards the top of digbeth. At the tender age of 21 I saw Tom Jones and his band live at that place. Had a front table right by the stage. It was funny watching women throwing knickers on the stage at Tom. It was a brilliant night.
Also, what was the name of the nightclub in one of the arches under snow hill station. Saw John Mayalls Bluesbreakers there. Eric Clapton had just left the band and Peter Green and a few of the band formed Fleetwood Mac fairly soon after that. I also saw Brian Auger and his band. The best song was "Wheels on Fire"

Does anybody remember a new nigtclub around the 1966 time. From my memory it was towards the top of digbeth. At the tender age of 21 I saw Tom Jones and his band live at that place. Had a front table right by the stage. It was funny watching women throwing knickers on the stage at Tom. It was a brilliant night.
Also, what was the name of the nightclub in one of the arches under snow hill station. Saw John Mayalls Bluesbreakers there. Eric Clapton had just left the band and Peter Green and a few of the band formed Fleetwood Mac fairly soon after that. I also saw Brian Auger and his band. The best song was "Wheels on Fire"

Would the club you mean in Digbeth be the Castaways which was in Bradford Street? They did have cabaret acts as well as bands.

The club in the arch at Snow Hill was called Le Metro, Fleetwood Mac definitely played there as I saw them too. The club had a blues night - think on a Wednesday.
It's actually still going and they expanded it into a second arch, it was called Holy City Zoo and is now the Tunnel Club.

Would the club you mean in Digbeth be the Castaways which was in Bradford Street? They did have cabaret acts as well as bands.

The club in the arch at Snow Hill was called Le Metro, Fleetwood Mac definitely played there as I saw them too. The club had a blues night - think on a Wednesday.
It's actually still going and they expanded it into a second arch, it was called Holy City Zoo and is now the Tunnel Club.
Yes spot on. Thanks for refreshing my mind.

Saw John Mayalls Bluesbreakers there. Eric Clapton had just left the band and Peter Green and a few of the band formed Fleetwood Mac fairly soon after that. I also saw Brian Auger and his band. The best song was "Wheels on Fire"

The rhythm section with John Mayall at one time consisted of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie and as a rhythm section they were often nicknamed "Fleetwood Mac" in tribute to their names.

When Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood formed a band away from Mayall they called it "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" in an attempt to get John McVie to also join, but he stayed with Mayall.

Of course he eventually left Mayall's band and joined Fleetwood Mac, and Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are both still with the band !

Peter Green is 73, John McVie is 74, and Mick Fleetwood is 72.

John Mayall is still alive, aged 86.

The rhythm section with John Mayall at one time consisted of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie and as a rhythm section they were often nicknamed "Fleetwood Mac" in tribute to their names.

When Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood formed a band away from Mayall they called it "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" in an attempt to get John McVie to also join, but he stayed with Mayall.

Of course he eventually left Mayall's band and joined Fleetwood Mac, and Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are both still with the band !

Peter Green is 73, John McVie is 74, and Mick Fleetwood is 72.

John Mayall is still alive, aged 86.
You know your stuff :)

i have lost count of how many times i have seen tom jones but the first time which always sticks in my head was back in the late 60s...had to queue for hours all round the back of the odeon new st to get tickets and it was snowing...worth it though came out in tears and all my mascara had run lol.. and before anyone asks NO i did not throw me knickers at him...in those days i couldnt afford to lol...happy days

lyn

Last edited:
I remember in 1974 I was working in Asda in the pallasades 5 till 8 and when I finished the center was crowded with young girls all dressed in tartan they were queuing up to see bay city rollers in the odeon and the queue went from the odeon all the way up the ramp and into the shopping mall and sadly I also remember the day of the pub bombing in 1974 ,luckily I finished work at 8 and was on the number 7 bus home and missed it all by 5 mins I am sure it was a Thursday and I think the first bomb went off about 8 .20 .My mum was in the odeon at the time she took my little brother to see planet of the apes ,she heard one big bang and then the second bang went off and the exit doors flew open and then they were evacuated out the cinema ,luckily no one was injured in the cinema .Also a couple of friends of mine was in the tavern in the town but luckily they were only blown off their stools which were right by the exit and they was not hurt ,Fortunately it was not their time to go .So all there is to say is cherish your time it could easily of been any of us that night we were lucky.

I remember in 1974 I was working in Asda in the pallasades 5 till 8 and when I finished the center was crowded with young girls all dressed in tartan they were queuing up to see bay city rollers in the odeon and the queue went from the odeon all the way up the ramp and into the shopping mall and sadly I also remember the day of the pub bombing in 1974 ,luckily I finished work at 8 and was on the number 7 bus home and missed it all by 5 mins I am sure it was a Thursday and I think the first bomb went off about 8 .20 .My mum was in the odeon at the time she took my little brother to see planet of the apes ,she heard one big bang and then the second bang went off and the exit doors flew open and then they were evacuated out the cinema ,luckily no one was injured in the cinema .Also a couple of friends of mine was in the tavern in the town but luckily they were only blown off their stools which were right by the exit and they was not hurt ,Fortunately it was not their time to go .So all there is to say is cherish your time it could easily of been any of us that night we were lucky.
That brings memories back.
I was living in Scotland at that time.
What I found out next day was my dad was on his way to work (he worked nightshifts at Lucas's Shaftsmore Lane). He got the bus from Great Barr which dropped him off close to the Odeon. He walked past the Odeon and had just turned left to where the ramp into the mall was, when the bombs went off. So like you, he was minutes from dying.

i have lost count of how many times i have seen tom jones but the first time which always sticks in my head was back in the late 60s...had to queue for hours all round the back of the odeon new st to get tickets and it was snowing...worth it though came out in tears and all my mascara had run lol.. and before anyone asks NO i did not throw me knickers at him...in those days i couldnt afford to lol...happy daysi
lyn
Girls used to wear tights over their knickers in those days didn't they Lyn. Difficult to throw their Knickers spontaneously.
;)

Girls used to wear tights over their knickers in those days didn't they Lyn. Difficult to throw their Knickers spontaneously.
;)

they did elmdon boy but the throwing of the knickers was premeditated...girls would take a pair in their handbags then get them out and chuck them :D

lyn

Anyone got any memories and information about nighclubs in Brum, from any time last century?

Some names of ones that I remember and went to...

Samanthas (was over Silver Blades ice skating rink in Hurst? St)

Pollyannas (Newhall? St.)

The Locarno (definitely Hurst St. with the Bali Hai one at the back)
I remember this band..
John Kerton fronted the successful U.K. function band Red Sun who were the resident band at the Birmingham Locarno for eight years. https://www.brumbeat.net/andicaps.htm

Just found this out
The Tower Ballroom closes its doors at the end of 2005 after more than 50 years https://www.saga.co.uk/1057fm/pages/lisEvent.asp?id=5373
went there once...

Snobs (didn't like that one much)

There was one in the same road where Bingley Hall was (can't remember what it was called..brain's not working too good lately :D) saw Herbie Hancock there...and Deaf School, and AC/DC :eek: (not my choice...just a crowd I was with at the time)

Any more? ...or any memories? :)

Gary Owens club in Small Heath, past the park on Cov road turn right. Played there a lot on Fridays in the early 1950s with my band. Got a little rough at times, the Old Bill there sometimes to calm things down. But lots of fun enjoyed it a lot.

Back