• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam Locos

Some history and photographs of 4073 Caerphilly Castle.

A preserved locomotive was named after Bishop Treacy when it was at Tyseley.

I bought the Rev Eric Treacy's book for the boys when they were young and still have it, brilliant pictures in it, also the Great Western in colour, by O S Nock. old but great photo's. paul

In the late 70s Evening Star was at Tysley for the weekend.Still got the 20 slides I took of it when I took my girls to see it.

Taking over from the Steam Loco, 1962...

View attachment 141468
Good units, problem was they were diesel hydraulic and not diesel electric which the rest of British Rail favoured and as such as a Western design, they were not developed beyond this one class. As Alan says we used to see them regularly in the south west as the Warships moved on (another Maybach based design). 1015 Western Champion one of the preserved ones.

Bob

1581541988638.png
French National Railways (SNCF) 241P A 4-8-2 Most probably 241P17 as this was the one kept in preservation.
35 of these were built between 1948 and 1952. They ran in the eastern (1), western (3) and south-eastern (5) regions of the SNCF. They had an SNCF designed mechanical stoker. All withdrawn by 1973 they were some the last passenger steam locomotives built for the SNCF

Good units, problem was they were diesel hydraulic and not diesel electric which the rest of British Rail favoured and as such as a Western design, they were not developed beyond this one class. As Alan says we used to see them regularly in the south west as the Warships moved on (another Maybach based design). 1015 Western Champion one of the preserved ones.

Bob
The other preserved ones are 1010 Western Campaigner, 1013 W. Ranger, 1023 W. Fusilier, 1041 W. Prince, 1048 W. Lady and 1062 W. Courier. Not steam I know, but just to complete my previous post.

Bob

The pictures from some of the Birmingham papers are pretty poor, but here is a competition from the Birmingham Daily Post of June 1972.

17669936-1D30-441E-BF54-60B9CB965E18.jpeg

The pictures from some of the Birmingham papers are pretty poor, but here is a competition from the Birmingham Daily Post of June 1972.

View attachment 141501
1 is Manobier Castle, GWRs answer to streamlining, 2 is LNER 'streak' -Mallard or aimilar, from the clour could be Silver Link 5 is Southern West Country, Battle of Britain or Merchant Navy 'Spam Can' Is 3 the P4 they are now building a 'Lazurus' copy engine or is itthe turbo engine I think LMS built? 4. No idea, but looks like Dr Richard Beeching is there!! Thanks Pedro, send the £50K and trip to see Big Boy that I have just won, poste haste. 'Big Boy' for non rail is a huge American loco, built for the Union Pacific, put big boy into Wikipedia for details. On you tube there are some marvellous films of it as it toured the states.

Bob

Sorry Bob, I made a terrible mistake and called it a competition. The answers are on the same page of the paper.

Oh, the power of having the answers!

1....not Manobier Castle, but the picture was taken at Swindon Works in1935.
2...is Silver Link
5...is Southern railways but not Battle of Britain or Merchant Navy.

My laptop (whilst I await delivery of my new power supply for my desktop) is not as good for definition as my usual monitor. No.1 I thought was a King. No.2 is, as Bob says, an A4, No.3 seems to be the ill fated LMS unusual experimental turbine, No.4, no idea and lastly 5 is a Merchant Navy class spamcan.

Last edited:
As said the pictures are Poor and it would be hard to make out specific detail.

So yes No 1 is King Henry VII

N°3 is an LMS and in the Picture it is being lowered into the hold of a ship in Southampton for a tour of America, and the World's fair in 1939.

N°4 is Minister of Transport, Alfred Barnes in 1951, naming N°7000, Britannia.

N°5 is N°2103 Royal Mail. Picture taken in 1941.

Last edited:
Back