• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Orford St

G

gemima

hi,
on the 1891 and 1901 census i have family living on orford st does anyone know where this was?

thanks

Hi Gemima, I think there is an Orford Grove in handsworth, Orford Road may well have been demolished. What Parish is it listed under?
Macca

Civil Parish: Birmingham Ecclesiastical Parish: All Saints Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 31

apologies I am new to looking at these details, still not sure what is what.

aaaahhhhhh!!! that makes sense! thanks is that where Enumeration District: 31 is? digbeth thanks

There is an Orford Road listed in All Saints district, what name are you looking for? I'll check the electoral roll for you.

1912-1939 27 Orford Road Charles Brettell, wife Annie Brettell. Orford Road is listed as being off Park Road. I think it probably is Handsworth.

Hi Gemima and welcome to the forum.
Enumeration district 31 covered the area around Lodge Road and Whitmore St.There is a Ford Rd off Whitmore St/Lodge Rd which is in the Hockley area of Birmingham and still exists.

thanks for that all.... park road follows as a possible as in 1904 when they married they both put 258 park road...... was living together allowed back then!?!?!?!!!!

he was a silversmith/ jeweller on the marriage certificate and census so it would make sense they live in hockley?

Hi gemima,

It could have been a house of multiple occupancy where people rented a room, today it we'd call it a bedsit. The online electoral roll doesn't cover 1904 but if you could get to central library you could find out.
Macca

Attached is map showing ford St in 1903. No 27 is shown in Kellys as being occupied by Oliver Hancock, oil dealer. in 1908 it is william Harbon, oil. dealer, and in 1912

Ford_rd_map_1904.jpg

Hi Sylvia you are right cos I was born over the road from it ..it was opposite Goode Street:)

hi all,

thank you so much. all sounds logical that a silversmith/jeweller would live in hockley. so we'll go with that.

a bedsit also sounds logical - might do a bit more digging into that.... I will try and look into the other side to see where they were.

:D:D:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Orford Road,Park Road Hockley is not a road and apparently never had been. It is a terrace yet it is officially designated a road.

Back