• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

Sugar, I think that happened to a lot of people especially the older generation who were brought up to respect/fear authority. I know my husband's mom and dad accepted a paltry sum (£50) for their house in Bordesley Green and he was still paying the (private) mortgage on it years later. The council seemed to think it was fine as they'd given them a rented property.
I have just come across some paperwork belonging to my parents on the purchase of their house in bracebridge street in 1955 the solicitors were Bottely and Sharp at 47 Temple Row Birmingham 2 their fee was 40 pound and the house cost them 900 pound so even then the solicitors took alot of money for there services .So really at least the solicitors have not changed since then they all still charge high prices for their services !!!

There was a firm, that made badges. they made the old AA and RAC badges.any one remember the company?

hi dave..i am always getting the two rays mixed up....sent an im to the wrong one once...lol....im going to chase up me cousin about the bracebridge pics tomorrow...dont worry i wont let it drop....

lyn
Hi Lyn,
Am trying to get used to BHF ways of working after ±11 years. Not succeeding at the moment. Hope you and yours are all well and that this comment is in the correct place. Bob Bruce sent me a message out of the blue today after ±60 years. Wow!
Cheers, Dave.

hello dave its good to see you back...i was only thinking about you the other day...hope you are well...all is ok here..how lovely to hear from bob bruce...smashing....keep in touch dave if you need any help with the forum just let me know

lyn

hi carolina well you are lucky as well then as we can also clearly see no 79 on the pic i posted..like 71 its corrogated up at the window...

crikey i bet you mom had a fit when she saw the state of your dad and brother lol...
Thought I would chip in my Dad was born at 77 Bracebridge Street, is it on the photo you are talking about.

I can't believe that i missed all this lovely info on Bracebridge. Such interesting photos!!
My Great grandfather and family lived at no. 75.
I have them there from 1920 to 1939 - no idea if they were still there after that though.....
Small world my family lived at no 77 Bracebridge Street 1912 until just before the war name of Heslington, 13 Kids, must have been bedlam.

hi carolina well you are lucky as well then as we can also clearly see no 79 on the pic i posted..like 71 its corrogated up at the window...

crikey i bet you mom had a fit when she saw the state of your dad and brother lol...
I can remember us moving into our house in Bracebridge street, as we has galvanized sheets at all the windows, & my mother crying, as the house was a mess. Kids from the area were throwing stones at the sheets of metal until the council came & fitted new windows in. Those houses were pretty scary when we first moved in.

View attachment 86786View attachment 86787do hope dave bath sees these 2 as i think they are new ones..

the white hart pub corner of bracebridge st and aston road dated..1957 and also the white harts darts team dated 1952 when they won the aston league...be great to put names to the faces...
Seeing the photo of the White Heart pub has taken me right back to when I got run over at those traffic lights by a coal lorry. I had just got home from school & my mum asked me to go to the post office, & I stood waiting at the lights & a lady said it was safe for me to cross the road, when the lorry hit me. I still held on to my mum's money though. I think I must have been around 8 at the time.

Astonian, I knew Bracebridge Street pretty well, but can't remember any traffic lights, certainly not Newtown Row end, not sure about the Aston Road end, perhaps someone else might. I don't recall the story about the pawnbrokers - sorry.
Hi Sylviasyers My father and mother in law kept the Vine pub in Bracebridge St in the 50s There NAMES WERE JACK and Leah Conboy.The pawn shop was facing the pub and the traffic lights was on the corner of Aston Rd.

Hi Sylviasyers My father and mother in law kept the Vine pub in Bracebridge St in the 50s There NAMES WERE JACK and Leah Conboy.The pawn shop was facing the pub and the traffic lights was on the corner of Aston Rd.
Hello Sylviasyers. The traffic lights you mentioned was just up the road from where I lived, (corner of Bracebridge Street & Aston Road). I once got knocked down by a coal lorry there, thanks to a lady telling me it was safe to cross, when it was'nt.

I think we had this photograph of George Formby visiting the Norton motorcycle works on Bracebridge Street previously but it was one of the photographs that was hacked. Apologies if it is elsewhere on the site.

nortonFormby.jpg

Below is a photograph of Norton motorcycle workers doing a photo shoot, I'm not sure if it is connected with Formby's visit. It's interesting because if you look closely, the men have got their feet on the 'pedals' and the motorcycles themselves are supported by house bricks! Again, apologies if is posted elsewhere on the site.

257jad.jpg
Hello i am restoring old Norton motorcycles. At the Moment i´am restoring one of the motorcycles of the photo below. For your Information the photos are not connected. The photo above is after the second world war (1947, with Norton International) and the photo below is from 1928 or 1929 (Norton ES2 or CS1). I am very intersted to get a high Resolution scan of both photos for private use. Thank you very much for your help. Kind regards Ralf

Back