• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Village Oxfordshire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched for Aston Supply Stores, Birmingham region in Midland and various trade directories on Ancestry.

Result was an E Smith for 1912.

I did assume it was then Aston.

Result appears to be E Smith - Aston Supplies Stores, 57 Cheapside.

And on the 1911 census there is an Eliza Matilda Smith living in Cheapside listed as an Oddment Shop Shopkeeper.

However I assume that 1912 Cheapside would not look much like the picture, so probably a coincidence.

I think it must be a Cheapside in a different town as the 1912 Kellys is as below, with William Watkins, grocer at 57, next to Birchall St

1912 Kellys cheapside.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I am going to say No.....I have not seen this photo before and at first glance it looks like Aston Lane ( Aston Hall Road) , but no church steeple in view, and no Aston Tavern either. There a few Aston's around the country so I don't think this one is ours....

I think it must be a Cheapside in a different town as the 1912 Kellys is as below, with William Watkins, grocer at 57, next to Birchall St

She's there but number 52, Mrs Eliza M Smith, shopkeeper. Slight error in the returned search results.

Still nothing to do with the picture though.

Seems odd that there’s no front entrance to Aston Stores. There are spades/gardening forks etc leaning against the wall to the right, so maybe the entrance is there ? Are the forks a particular type of fork ? There are also what look like possibly saddles (?) hanging there. So somewhere very rural/agricultural would be my guess. The fact that the Stores is called ‘Supply’ stores suggests to me the place might be quite cut off and so supplies all sorts of things. Viv.

I knew someone would identify the forks ! Thanks Mort. Maybe a popular potato growing area! Viv.

These buildings have similar window positions and similar chimney positions. Windows are on the gable wall whereas the old photo did not show windows. It's a maybe .... :)
Image1.jpg

I briefly looked at the Oxfordshire Astons yesterday. Post 1 (Lyn) does not have a West Midland look about it somehow, but the south Cotswolds seem to fit better. I note the pictures in post 1 and 16 have similar typed names. My money is on Oxon.

It has possibilities ... High Street Aston Village.
Image2.jpg

Have a look below and scroll around but pick the winter/spring view otherwise the house is covered with ivy leaves.

View attachment 140987
I appreciate this extract from 1912 Kelly's as Edwin Withers in his 1888 Will bequeathed his property at 122 Cheapside to his sons, then "occupied by Thomas William Howe". By 1912 the street numbers have been amended to the current style, back in 1888 they must have had a sequential form of numbering.
Has anybody seen a Directory c1890 which might show Thomas William Howe at Number 122?
Any images of Cheapside near 122?
Thanks for your help

The 1888,1890 and 1892 Kellys list George Holden , beer retailer, at no 122. The year is the publication year, and probably refers to the year before. Beer retailer can be a beerhouse, licensed to sell beer and cider only on the premises, or an off-licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back