• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Street Burial Ground

Do u have one slightly to the left that wud cover the Park St burial ground they are digging up for HS2 at all, I do believe I have relatives in there but I cannot get a list of who was buried from Bham Council

... post edited to remove off topic coments

Last edited by a moderator:
as some of you know this old burial ground has been taken over to make way for HS2..cant be certain but i think that any remaining bodies have now been removed along with all if not most of the headstones...here is an aerial view of the burial ground as it is now..on the right hand corner is the very old fox and grapes pub which will be demolished to also make way for HS2..in my opinion they have a lot to answer for:mad:

lyn

View attachment 125259
you say all bodies now removed, but the pic looks as though nothings been started, its now Jan 2020 and still the fencing is round this area but why if the bodies have been removed?

Theres an estimated 6,000 buried there and in London theres 61,000...St James's Gardens, off the Hampstead Road, was London's largest burial ground, where an estimated 61,000 bodies were buried in the 18th and 19th centuries.
There is a 1933 good quality aerial photo of Park Street. I can see the Fox & Grapes pub on it and the open area opposite with Fazeley Street routed through it. I can upload it to the Park Street Burial Ground thread if required.

There is a 1933 good quality aerial photo of Park Street. I can see the Fox & Grapes pub on it and the open area opposite with Fazeley Street routed through it. I can upload it to the Park Street Burial Ground thread if required.
YES
Yes please, I have just been on that thread and a message posted Oct 2018 said the 'diggings' were completed but when I viewed actually visited the site b4 Xmas there were very high fence panels and a roof on it, no way u can get in so they haven't finished at all, have they found more I say.

Yes please, I have just been on that thread and a message posted Oct 2018 said the 'diggings' were completed but when I viewed actually visited the site b4 Xmas there were very high fence panels and a roof on it, no way u can get in so they haven't finished at all, have they found more I say.
Here is the 1933 image upload of Park Street as mentioned in the other thread. Park Street runs left to right across the centre of the image. St Bartholomew Church on the right. The Fox & Grapes pub is visible.
ParkSt1933.jpg
image is from 'britainfromabove'

I doubt if the site will be opened up so you can get in , as it is where part of the new HS2 station will be

Edited to remove reference to Broad Street excavations.

Here is the 1933 image upload of Park Street as mentioned in the other thread. Park Street runs left to right across the centre of the image. St Bartholomew Church on the right. The Fox & Grapes pub is visible.
View attachment 140917
image is from 'britainfromabove'
I know the pic taken was from some distance, but felt we wud have at least seen a head stone or two, it was 1933 and last interment was 1850?..so why no head stones I wud ask?..do u feel they were about to move the bodies as they did with many other areas of Brum like St Martins etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose a photo taken by some bloke hanging over the side of a 1930s biplane would not show such detail. I have zoomed in on the large pic and can see some small objects that could be headstones near the fence or bushes along Park Street. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the actual layout of the burial ground. Maybe some member has an old photo of Park Street taken at street level.
Zoom1933ParkSt.jpg

Last edited:
there were gravestones at park st...i believe that this is the second time that bodies have been removed ..all gone now including the headstones and the massive white tents that covered the site while bodies were removed..street view here before HS2 moved in

Do u have one slightly to the left that wud cover the Park St burial ground they are digging up for HS2 at all, I do believe I have relatives in there but I cannot get a list of who was buried from Bham Council...its a disgrace that people cannot be left to rest, BUT A RICH MANS DREAM drives on FOR THE £100BILLION fiasco.

i am sure i read somewhere that there are no records of who is buried at park st but for the life of me i cant remember the reason why would have to check that but i do agree with you...an absolute disgrace that the departed can not be left to rest in peace..unfortunately because of so called progress many burial grounds have had remains removed

lyn

Last edited:
I'm not certain Lyn, but seem to remember that Park St was considered an annex of St Martins and they are not distinguished in the records. Am not certain about that though

Yes Mike. It was an annex to St Martin’s (Park Street Gardens) - mentioned in the press cutting post #25 here.

Viv.

I'm not certain Lyn, but seem to remember that Park St was considered an annex of St Martins and they are not distinguished in the records. Am not certain about that though

thanks mike i think it could have been that i read

lyn

This explains some of the difficulties about the Park Street site. The records certainly do seem unclear as to who is buried where. There was even more than one layer of burials. Viv.

The video (albeit speeded up) on this link is revealing showing the work to remove the remains. I appreciate it’s a large number of remains, but it seems insensitive in the use of such heavy machinery. Viv.

I feel best way is CREMATION if this is wot they can do to your body.

there were gravestones at park st...i believe that this is the second time that bodies have been removed ..all gone now including the headstones and the massive white tents that covered the site while bodies were removed..
i bet its horrible for the loved ones, when the bodies are removed. it's just sacrilege
i hope to god it never happens to mine or your families.

I feel best way is CREMATION if this is wot they can do to your body.

belmont dont forget that these burials happened long ago..long before cremations came into being the world was a different place back then... we have to accept history even if we dont like what happened but as i have said many times over the years i think that those who have been buried should remain at their last resting place...

belmont dont forget that these burials happened long ago..long before cremations came into being the world was a different place back then... we have to accept history even if we dont like what happened but as i have said many times over the years i think that those who have been buried should remain at their last resting place...
its bad,no respect. itoo think that those who have been buried should remain at their last resting place...

Presumably, in the past, former cemeteries were known about but due to the long period of time since interment the area was just built over. This would explain the finding of burials when older building or areas are excavated for newer things. I suppose the most well known recently was the car park in Leicester and Richard III.

Back