• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barton's Arms High Street Aston

You are very welcome - hope you didn't think I was being rude!
Is all well with the Bartons now? As you said, it's not in the best area for trade.
Would be very sad to see it go, I used to go in there in the mid 70's before moving across the road to the Elbow Room :)
Not at all, I wish all typos were pointed out to me. I try to make sure everything is word perfect but sometimes I mess it up! I have to admit to not going over to the Barton's Arms for a while but we are going very soon, along with a few beers in The Bull now that it is having its beer range expanded. We'll be going on the bus as I couldn't park my bike outside the Barton's Arms!

i went in the bartons a couple of times last summer....still kept up to the good standards its had over the past few years..to be honest the pubs around that area are now very sparse...dont think i could name them on one hand...the clements further up closed some months back...so sad to see the pub trade dwindling before our eyes but on the bright side what a jewel we have in the bartons...oh and not forgetting the bull price st...

lyn

i went in the bartons a couple of times last summer....still kept up to the good standards its had over the past few years..to be honest the pubs around that area are now very sparse...dont think i could name them on one hand...the clements further up closed some months back...so sad to see the pub trade dwindling before our eyes but on the bright side what a jewel we have in the bartons...oh and not forgetting the bull price st...

lyn

I spent many a good time in there under various gaffers most memorable Terry Long then Steve Lefervre . The name of the gaffer that introduced the Sunday dinnertime Jazz escapes me at the moment . BBC made an early evening music show there one Friday night , the hosts were David Soul and Sally James , I shook Mr Soul's hand in the least likliest place . I'l just say it was a convenience for both of us . Good old days

I spent many a good time in there under various gaffers most memorable Terry Long then Steve Lefervre . The name of the gaffer that introduced the Sunday dinnertime Jazz escapes me at the moment . BBC made an early evening music show there one Friday night , the hosts were David Soul and Sally James , I shook Mr Soul's hand in the least likliest place . I'l just say it was a convenience for both of us . Good old days

ooh err john david soul...trust me to miss out :(

lyn

ooh err john david soul...trust me to miss out :(

lyn

Lyn I remember one of the locals had told DS of a local female's (age about 70) nickname , it sounded ever so funny when he introduced the piece going to be played was dedicated to "lipstick Lil" . After the show had finished and all the TV gear wrapped up . Mr Soul was seen heading for the horizon(the car park by the underpass to Newtown Shopping Ctr with his arm around Ms James shoulder .

Lyn I remember one of the locals had told DS of a local female's nickname , it sounded ever so funny when he introduced the pice going to be played was dedicated to "lipstick Lil" . After the show had finished and all the TV gear wrapped up . Mr Soul was seen heading for the horizon(the car park by the underpass to Newtown Shopping Ctr with his arm around Ms James shoulder .

ohhhh its just not fair:sob:

Love the film!
The presenter's comment about the expense of his pint when the film was made in 1974 - 80p :laughing:

love that footage...seen it a few times...great to see shots of the old houses before demo and who can forget the aston hipp...it has to one of if not the best victorian pubs in the country the minton tiles are something else.. some of you may know this but there are also magnificent tiles on the floor in a certain part of the pub which were covered up years ago to protect them...i did manage to get a copy of a photo of them before they were covered up...must see if i still have it in my files...thanks kieron

lyn

Last edited:
love that footage...seen it a few times...great to see shots of the old houses before demo and who can forget the aston hipp...it has to one of if not the best victorian pubs in the country the minton tiles are something else.. some of you may know this but there are also magnificent tiles on the floor in a certain part of the pub which were covered up years ago to protect them...i did manage to get a copy of a photo of them before they were covered up...must see if i still have it in my files...thanks kieron

lyn
Unfortunately Lyn, I cannot watch the film as it's not playable outside of the UK.
Dave A

Unfortunately Lyn, I cannot watch the film as it's not playable outside of the UK.
Dave A
If you use the Opera Browser, which has a free VPN choice, you could move yourself - internet wise - to Europe or somewhere else maybe. That might allow you to view.

Back