• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a small bottle of whiskey, bought from the outdoor, being called a quarten.
As for your mention of" tip 'n run", wasn' t that another name for a game of "Tag" ?
Thanks Baz, I always assumed Tip'n was short for Tipton like they say Bed'th here.
my mom would say if you don't stop it. you will go were Herbert went. i never did find out who herbert was:)
I used to say "I thought I had", and grandad would reply, "yow know what thought did dow ya? EE thought ee ad an ee adn't!"

Thanks Baz, I always assumed Tip'n was short for Tipton like they say Bed'th here.

I used to say "I thought I had", and grandad would reply, "yow know what thought did dow ya? EE thought ee ad an ee adn't!"
mom used to say that... but he only parted

Mind your ps and qs is actually from the printing trade, an instruction to the compositors, lower case ps and qs mixed up in the box of lead letter fonts
I never heard that one. I remember widows and orphans. ....and my mate being sent for a long weight (wait) . And they told him ingots were ignots. I got sent for a bag of sky hooks but fortunately my grandad had me with that since I was little. Sorry for going off a bit. I do you know.

From the latest Black Country Magazine...

In English pubs, ale was ordered in pints and quarts, so in old England, when a customers got unruly, the bartender would yell, “mind your pints and quarts and settle down.” It’s where we get the phrase, “mind your P’s and Q’s.”
I didn't know that, very interesting. I do recall that you could also order your beer by the gill as well.

In France you can get a galopin not sure how to spell it, pronounced Gallow pan, of beer the size of a wine glass.
I fetched gran's stout from the outdoor in her jug. I was about 4! I don't know how much they gave me.
Nan said beer used to come in a bottle with a top like a pasteurised milk bottle (I am imagining this as I am not sure what it was like). If you were sly you could peel the top back and have a sip.
Nan's friend drank gin and pip. I wonder what pip was?

Galopin - a rascal or urchin.
I cannot believe it was a pasteurised type foil top on beer bottles but more likely a 'sterilized' bottle type. Bottles are still capped that way.

Some have this other type of seal:
1578242413887.png1578242585539.png

Galopin - a rascal or urchin.
I cannot believe it was a pasteurised type foil top on beer bottles but more likely a 'sterilized' bottle type. Bottles are still capped that way.

Some have this other type of seal:
View attachment 140457View attachment 140458
I only know what I was told. Nan said you could peel the top off a little then reseal it.
Partner often has a galopin as she only wants a sip or two.

Nico, I wonder if it was the bottle as in Radiorails second pic. I seem to remember they had a paper seal - perhaps this is what you Nan meant. It sort of went across the top and down two sides (if bottles have sides?) I remember going to the outdoor in Leamington Road with my Uncle Vic. Ooh! that smell, beer and damp floorboards. They pulled the beer into a copper jug by hand pump and poured it with a copper tundish into bottles like the one above which we had taken with us. The screw tops were like black stone but I don't know what they were really made from. I suppose the paper seals on the original bottles proved that they hadn't been opened. 1950's tamper proof?

My Dad would send me to to our local outdoor with a couple of bottles, & when they were filled, a paper strip would be placed across the stopper as a tamper proof seal. I used many of those tamper proof paper seals to decorate my bike!

My Dad would send me to to our local outdoor with a couple of bottles, & when they were filled, a paper strip would be placed across the stopper as a tamper proof seal. I used many of those tamper proof paper seals to decorate my bike!
:D

Also from the latest Black Country Magazine, “Wet your whistle.”

"Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used to whistle to get some service and "wet your whistle" is inspired by this practice."

Also from the latest Black Country Magazine, “Wet your whistle.”

"Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used to whistle to get some service and "wet your whistle" is inspired by this practice."
I recall a song, "I want to wet me Whistle"

My father always said 'A whistling woman and a cackling hen are neither use to God or men'. Wouldn't dare say it now would he!
I heard this from a relative who was from Worcester and Malvern. A whistling Woman and a crowing hen. and then what you said. The same person's gran used to say her hair was as straight as a yard of pump water.

The whistling woman/cackling hen has some variations in its endings. Likewise it seems to be described as an old Irish saying, but Scottish is also mentioned. It seems to have been known in the United States as well - maybe from early settlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back