• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane School

I really like this photo which appeared in the Sphere in June 1912. The concentration on their little faces is admirable, but the boy third from left needs to work on his technique, he could put someone’s eye out pulling that very long thread through. Viv.

D64A5902-0568-4566-AEF3-A3DF5D5DE874.jpeg

Pupils cultivating “ digging for victory” on waste ground at the end of the Summer Lane School playground in July 1941. From the Evening Despatch. Viv.

D3AE9550-48B0-4449-A84E-5B802278D261.jpeg

hi john, that is a photo of summer lane school. i went there 1958 to 1962 enjoyed my school daye in the main i can only remember a couple of teachers mr reese the science teacher mrs pierce domestic science mr byron english. if you get any more photos would you cindly post them , my name was gillian peace thanks .
I WENT TO SUMMER LANE SCHOOL SO DID MY SISTER WE WERE JOHN WALTERS AND GILLIAN [ GILL ] WALTERS IN 1958 - 1961 IF ANYBODY REMEMBERS US GET IN TOUCH .

LOOKING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS OF SUMMER LANE SECONDARY SCHOOL .IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE SCHOOL TEACHERS OR PUPILS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM.MY SELF AND MY SISTER WENT TO THIS SCHOOL IN 1958 -1961 WE ARE JOHN WALTERS AND GILLIAN [ GILL ] WALTERS

Hi there, just wondering if anyone can confirm if the Summer Lane School was a boarding school in the 1920’s. I believe my grand father Thomas Shannon attended school here but the details are foggy. Any information on Summer lane from 1915-1925 would be great thanks!
Erin

Welcome Airinshan. This British History Online extract only shows it at as a ‘Board’ school. These were early state schools run by local boards, it was a way of making education available to more children and to bring in some standardisation to the curriculum.

So maybe the information you have refers to a ‘Board’ school. Viv.

Attachments

• 806F65F4-BD75-4835-B858-EB3B47A901E6.jpeg
    806F65F4-BD75-4835-B858-EB3B47A901E6.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 4
LOOKING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS OF SUMMER LANE SECONDARY SCHOOL .IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE SCHOOL TEACHERS OR PUPILS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM.MY SELF AND MY SISTER WENT TO THIS SCHOOL IN 1958 -1961 WE ARE JOHN WALTERS AND GILLIAN [ GILL ] WALTERS
Hi John, you must be John who lived in Summer Lane behind Allen’s chip shop. You were good at sports and played in most of the teams.
have you seen the school staff staff pictures on #65 on page 4.
Great to hear from you,keep well and stay safe.

Moss

A photo from the Birmingham Gazette in 1928 and one from the Birmingham Post in 1940. (Source: British Newspaper Archive). Viv E0A9A450-1A13-49BE-BBC4-E4CC979CBC91.jpeg
77643096-5DDF-44B4-9FC6-8E8CD01C10BB.jpeg

I went to summer lane school in the early 60's our form teacher was Miss Savage.
anyone out there remember her. she followed us through from year 1 to year 4.
hi i remember miss savage she was my art teacher i was in mr edwards class left school in 64 happy days .

hi i remember miss savage she was my art teacher i was in mr edwards class left school in 64 happy days .
Yes i remember miss Savage she was a tough teacher but she took a shine to me i think because of my artwork, i think she was also at cowper street school unless my old brain is playing tricks on me , any one else remember her being at cowper street . I also remember mr Edwards i had the cain off him in my first half hour at summer lane for talking in line outside i didnt know wich line i should be in and was asking some one i could not hold a pensil all day then went to the shop for him to get his pack of ciggies lol

Yes i remember miss Savage she was a tough teacher but she took a shine to me i think because of my artwork, i think she was also at cowper street school unless my old brain is playing tricks on me , any one else remember her being at cowper street . I also remember mr Edwards i had the cain off him in my first half hour at summer lane for talking in line outside i didnt know wich line i should be in and was asking some one i could not hold a pensil all day then went to the shop for him to get his pack of ciggies lol
he was a tough teacher indeed

Hello John,
I was in the same class as Gill and our form teacher was Mr. Creasy. Think Gill had a good friend Gillian Freer who I bumped into in the early eighties.
Great memories of Summer Lane School at the age of 11 - 14 when I left to start work!.
Colin Bache (top of class, table tennis captain and caned three times)

Hello John,
Great photo,yes it is Summer Lane school,it brought back so many memories.Some years ago Mr Edwards (an ex Summer Lane teacher)told me that the same day the demolition of the school started was the same day that Mr James(ex headmaster) died.
Maurice
hi john, that is a photo of summer lane school. i went there 1958 to 1962 enjoyed my school daye in the main i can only remember a couple of teachers mr reese the science teacher mrs pierce domestic science mr byron english. if you get any more photos would you cindly post them , my name was gillian peace thanks .
Hello Gill,
I also went to Summer Lane School during those years and my form teacher was Mr. Creasy.
Mr. Reese was also my science teacher and Mr. Byron (who also taught boxing). Great times at Summer Lane School with lots of good memories, school friends and not so good ones, Trevor, Ron, Dennis, Frank, Philip, the McKeowns, Two Gills, Carol.

Back