• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

In 1954 we raced our bloody bikes in Sutton Park. This photo shows that, I am in pack hanging on as a team mate Fred Hopkins gives it a go at the front. Very competitive racing those days I was 21 could not race on the open roads due to Police rules Well file to big sorry

In 1954 we raced our bloody bikes in Sutton Park. This photo shows that, I am in pack hanging on as a team mate Fred Hopkins gives it a go at the front. Very competitive racing those days I was 21 could not race on the open roads due to Police rules
20191206_094805_2 (1).jpg

What club did you ride for? I was with the Midland C&AC John Bishop also a member of BHF did an article on the club in this forumView attachment 140711
We were not with a club, three or four of us were given the OK to keep out of the way of you experts and ride as individuals, but we were not really good enough and the early starts were to much for us so after three or four sessions of dropping out halfway through we retired.
Bob

I used to cycle for leisure not sport, racing around and seeing nothing always seemed to be a daft idea.

From when I was about thirteen I'd get on my bike on Sunday morning and take off to Stratford, Evesham, Worcester etc. or go the other way up to Lichfield, Tamworth, Derby, even Stoke on Trent and Nottingham.

I used to cycle for leisure not sport, racing around and seeing nothing always seemed to be a daft idea.

From when I was about thirteen I'd get on my bike on Sunday morning and take off to Stratford, Evesham, Worcester etc. or go the other way up to Lichfield, Tamworth, Derby, even Stoke on Trent and Nottingham.
Eric, we traveled the same routs. We always stopped in Henley in Arden for ice cream!

The builders look like they couldn’t make up their minds about the style and period of the house ! Viv.

We would race around the park a daft idea as you say but THEM we would go for a ride to all the places you mention, great Ice Cream at Henley in Arden still there
John, i saw what you said about racing on the roads and I raced time trials 25 mile and massed starts 72 miles starting when I was 13 and was never stopped.

Back