• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crossroads programme

Once, a
me and my late wife lived just down the road from Noelle Gorden in Handsworth wood. i said allo once, she looked at me,and walked on
Sometime around 1979/ 1980, I was walking along Birchfield Road, Perry Barr by the flyover, heading towards Holy Trinity Church, when I heard the unmistakable tyre sound of an expensive car approaching. I turned around, and instantly recognised Noele Gordon, behind the wheel of a brown Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow. The number plate, NG 10, confirmed her identity. She was driving with her nose in the air, literally! I waved, but didn't catch her eye. It was my closest brush with a TV star!

Once, a

Sometime around 1979/ 1980, I was walking along Birchfield Road, Perry Barr by the flyover, heading towards Holy Trinity Church, when I heard the unmistakable tyre sound of an expensive car approaching. I turned around, and instantly recognised Noele Gordon, behind the wheel of a brown Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow. The number plate, NG 10, confirmed her identity. She was driving with her nose in the air, literally! I waved, but didn't catch her eye. It was my closest brush with a TV star!

Alf to be honest I don't think Ms Gordon was a people person , She always gave me the impression she'd rather ignore you than salute you . I think she only spoke to hoi polloi , if she had to or the situation demanded it , not a fan of hers at all , as you can probably see .

Alf to be honest I don't think Ms Gordon was a people person , She always gave me the impression she'd rather ignore you than salute you . I think she only spoke to hoi polloi , if she had to or the situation demanded it , not a fan of hers at all , as you can probably see .
I know what you mean! Still, she certainly was the star of Crossroads in her day. I'd loved to have met Larry Grayson. He seemed such a gentle man. My wife adored him!!

Crossroads never really hit the 'big time' such as Coronation Street and Eastenders. Had they used sub-titles it may have helped. :scream: (dives, for cover)

I know what you mean! Still, she certainly was the star of Crossroads in her day. I'd loved to have met Larry Grayson. He seemed such a gentle man. My wife adored him!!

Alf, a friend at work introduced me to a couple of of technicians at the ATV who had an account with the company I worked for. I was invited to tour their new studios in Bridge St , as they had just moved from Aston Rd North . We went around the Crossroads set we saw all the chalet doors fixed direct to a wall(ie no opening or closing) Megs office door exactly the same , when she put her hand on the doorknob , it was a change of shot and different position on the set . I could not believe my ears, when one of the technicians told us about the amount of booking requests to stay at the Crossroads motel they received . I still ask myself the same question were these people real wanting reservations in a fictitious motel . After that it was around the Golden Shot set , control rooms , announcer room , saw Trevor Lucas . Who some years later died on a train in I stanbul or somewhere like that , then after all that we went for drinkie poos

Once, a

I meet her on several occasions but now let me say this I meet the person she wanted you to meet.
As with all people in show business it's always about them and they adore the attention
We would pick up the car and deliver after service but as the studio was just down the street she would pop in once in a while making sure everyone knew she was there.

Apart from Anne Aston, who went on to be the obligatory attractive female in a game show (The golden shot) did any other Crossroads cast member move on to better things? I have a vague memory of someone having a brush with the law?

Gaffer says to Benny "Benny, to become a farmer you have to have a broad knowledge of farming, for instance, where does milk come from"? "That`s easy gaffer, the Co-op"

Apart from Anne Aston, who went on to be the obligatory attractive female in a game show (The golden shot) did any other Crossroads cast member move on to better things? I have a vague memory of someone having a brush with the law?
Actor John Forgeham (1941 - 2017) whom I vaguely remember from Crossroads featured in many T.V. programmes and films mainly playing villains and the like and always had an underlying "brummie" accent in whatever role he played.

Gaffer says to Benny "Benny, to become a farmer you have to have a broad knowledge of farming, for instance, where does milk come from"? "That`s easy gaffer, the Co-op"
yer cathy staff. went on to be nora batty

I meet her on several occasions but now let me say this I meet the person she wanted you to meet.
As with all people in show business it's always about them and they adore the attention
We would pick up the car and deliver after service but as the studio was just down the street she would pop in once in a while making sure everyone knew she was there.

Well said Bob

Actor John Forgeham (1941 - 2017) whom I vaguely remember from Crossroads featured in many T.V. programmes and films mainly playing villains and the like and always had an underlying "brummie" accent in whatever role he played.

I'm sure John Forgeham was in the original film The Italian Job

Didn't 'Benny' go on to run/own a pub in Rubery?

i seem to remember reading a long time ago that he did run a pub...dont know why but henley in arden springs to mind....although i could be thinking of someone else who ran a pub there

My wife was also fond of Mr. Hunter! (She had such good taste in men! Ha ha!). According to an article I once read, Ronald Allen worked a 46-hour week on the show, 5 days a week; ten months of the year, so the pace of working on Crossroads would have been relentless. He liked to collect antiques and works of art, which he kept at his Clapham, London home, where he stayed at the weekends.
He was a studious man, going on holidays to remote places, to further his knowledge of archeology.
Although he was once awarded the title of Britain's Best dressed Man, he'd had to buy his own suits for the show, as ATV's wardrobe budget was, at the time, just £6. Not enough to buy you tie these days! Sadly, he died at the young age of 60. He'd been a heavy smoker for many years. Probably the stress of being so famous.

Back