• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Waverley Grammar School

daverock

master brummie
Hi
I went to Waverley Grammar school & have a lot of old school stuff from the 50s,60s &70s which I have accumulated through various channels, if anyone has any questions please mail me.
I also have a good collection of photographs both scroll type & pictures from the operas & plays.
Look forward to hearing from anyone out there.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Hi
what was the new Waverley Grammar school in Hobmoor Road is closing & they plan a reunion for any pupils. The date of the reunion has to be determined but will be around December 2012/ January 2013, if you contact June Moore at the school she will give you details & let you know when the actual date is. Phone number is in the book.
Cheers

Hi All,

I went to Somerville Road School from 1932 to 1938 and then Waverley Grammar School from 1938 to 1942. I cannot remember ever having a school photograph or being on one. I do not know why but perhaps my parents could not afford to buy the photographs. I doubt if any were taken at Waverley during the war years as film would be scarce.

If anyone has a photgraph taken at either of the above schools during the periods stated I would love to see them
Old Boy

Hi Caroline,

In Posts 139 and 140 you posted photos taken at Somerville Road and Waverley Schools. Were you a pupil at either or both of them? Just wondering.

Old Boy

Hi all - I am new to this site- I attended Waverley Grammar for one year up until the end of the summer term 1962 - I was in Mr. Jones form - 2M - I have no photos and moved around the country due to family issues - does anyone remember me or have any photos of that time as sadly I do not have any - my name is Lesley

Hi
I went to Waverley Grammar school & have a lot of old school stuff from the 50s,60s &70s which I have accumulated through various channels, if anyone has any questions please mail me.
I also have a good collection of photographs both scroll type & pictures from the operas & plays.
Cheers
Dave Rock
Hello Dave,
Hope you are keeping well and staying out of trouble. Back in the early 2000's , After Jim Hunt's passing, I remember you obtained quite a collection of The Arch and sent me a CD at that time, of the publication, dating from 1955 -1967. I left in June of 1956 and wondered if you have any of the earlier editions, starting from say 1950, up until 1955? If you do, and if not too much trouble, maybe you could email me, attaching what you have? I still keep in touch with David Lovell and one or two other 'boys' from my years at WGS, nice to retain good friends and memories from our youth. Take care and stay healthy...All best wishes.

It was P.E. time on the Waverley Road one.
Hate to burst your bubble but the school design/windows in the background do not match today's building photographs. Completely different layout. Our school (Waverley) only has one main window per bay, whereas the P.E. school has four, tall narrow windows per bay.

Hi, I was a pupil at Waverley 1959-1965... would be happy to chat to anyone at Waverley around that time. I have many happy memories, but few photos. My first three years were at Camp Hill, where a Mrs Bridges was in charge, as deputy head. Mr S. Shirley was in overall charge mainly at Byron Road Small Heath where I went for the next couple of years. My final year was at the "New School" in Hobmoor lane...
Regards

Hi, I was a pupil at Waverley 1959-1965... would be happy to chat to anyone at Waverley around that time. I have many happy memories, but few photos. My first three years were at Camp Hill, where a Mrs Bridges was in charge, as deputy head. Mr S. Shirley was in overall charge mainly at Byron Road Small Heath where I went for the next couple of years. My final year was at the "New School" in Hobmoor lane...
Regards
Does anyone who was at Waverley in 1950's remember why the head mistress was known as "Float" I think her name was Hawarth.

Hi,
…..I do seem to remember Mrs Howarth.. but I rather thought she was known as "Flo"....as her name was Florence?? such memories do get a bit lost with the passing of time for sure?

Hi,
…..I do seem to remember Mrs Howarth.. but I rather thought she was known as "Flo"....as her name was Florence?? such memories do get a bit lost with the passing of time for sure?
Does seem obvious now that you have said it. Have I really wondered about that for 60 odd years.

A friend of mine went to Waverley from 1961 until 1966. Name of Barbara Capp , does anyone remember her?

Hi
Cheers
Dave Rock
Hi people theres a site on Facebook 'waverley grammar school ' we need photos on there if any body can help I went there 1977-1981 many thanks

Back