• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Lynsey and Zoe ????
Enjoyed reading your post about Smethwick. I also grew up there and loved shopping in Cape Hill Market and Woolies. Because Brum was only a short bus ride away, I always saw Smethwick as being part of Brum and not really a separate place. That is just my opinion and I expect a lot will disagree. I have some happy memories living there and having fun at the Thimblemill Baths disco. My friend lived in the sweet shop on Waterloo Road and my other friend lived at Bakers Garage. There was also a lady who ran a second hand shop, she was middle aged, blonde and always wore a fur coat. For some reason my nan always called her "Bob's wife". I never found out who Bob was.

I was brought up on the western end of Hagley Road, and our local shopping area was Bearwood - in Smethwick, as was the local green areas, Lightwoods Park and Warley Woods, so I'm almost as much a 'Smerrick' lad as I am a 'Burningham' one.

Yes I remember the Radio Rentals shop in Waterloo Rd - my Aunt and Uncle who had a draper's shop in Shireland Rd (right on the boundary where it changed to Portland Rd), had an RR radio and later a TV from them too.

I also remember hearing loud explosions in the distance from our house, and my dad telling me it was the blast furnaces at Smethwick being lit - possibly at the Qualcast (pictured above) or the Midland Motor Cylinder works.

I was dismayed when half of Smethwick's main street was swept away in preparation for the new by-pass road, but at least the other side remains, including the Red Cow and Blue Gates pubs and the Princes cinema. There's enough left to imagine how it used to be, and the present (largely historically immigrant) population seem to have developed enough pride in the area to ensure it remains so for some time to come.

My school friend lived in Rawlings Road, Bearwood, so I was there quite often. I used to have a part time job washing up in a greasy cafe near the Bear Hotel. We very often went to Lightwoods Park and Warley Woods. I was also sad to see that a large part of Smethwick was demolished.

Enjoyed reading your post about Smethwick. I also grew up there and loved shopping in Cape Hill Market and Woolies. Because Brum was only a short bus ride away, I always saw Smethwick as being part of Brum and not really a separate place. That is just my opinion and I expect a lot will disagree. I have some happy memories living there and having fun at the Thimblemill Baths disco. My friend lived in the sweet shop on Waterloo Road and my other friend lived at Bakers Garage. There was also a lady who ran a second hand shop, she was middle aged, blonde and always wore a fur coat. For some reason my nan always called her "Bob's wife". I never found out who Bob was.

In the 1940 1950s Most every Sunday, We would drive from Yardley to Grandma's house on Cheshire Rd Smethwick. We would sometimes in the summer (on a Thursday usually) ,walk to the park there. Then back us Snow Hill into Brum Happy memories.
I am trying to find out more information and photos about Albert and Bertha Burridge - my grandparents. They had a shop at 114 Cape Hill in the 1940’s. Any help would be appreciated

Used to be a delivery driver for Warriner & Mason in Smethwick in 1965 .Delivering to all the Wrenson shops.

Sorry Angela but he doesn't remember. Have you tried contacting Smethwick Archives? I haven't been for a long time because they reduced their hours, they used to be quite helpful.
rosie.

I lived in Smethwick during my teens (1959). My parents owned the grocery shop in Brasshouse Lane, next door was Jessons the sweet shop and the other side of us was the wool shop. There was also the old Beacon cinema next door but one. On a saturday afternoon my friends and I would join the happy band of Baggies fans to walk up to the football ground, rattles in hand and scarves and hats on. No violence then, just a few fans going to watch our boys play. In fact I went out for a while with a group of young footballers from the youth team. We used to go ballroom dancing ( they would love me for saying so). I met my husband to be at Springhill Ice Skating, and he lived in Rolfe Street. His mother had a wholesale food warehouse. Saturday evening we used to go to the Princes Hall Picture House on the High Street and have chips out of newspaper on the way home. My first job at 17 was as shorthand typist at Pneulecs in Mafeking Road. We used to go up Cape Hill to the market for bargains. We didn't live in Smethwick for long before moving to Great Barr, but they were happy impressionable days and I have fond memories.

Hi. I know this is a very old post. I just joined. I live in Canada now, but I was born on the Albion estate which backed on to the West Bromwich Albion grounds. Every Saturday my brother and I would come to the Beacon on his motorbike and sidecar. We would first go in Jessons shop for a bar of chocolate. I remember your shop and the wool shop. My aunt used to live in Brasshouse Lane in one of the houses behind the fish and chip shop. ( I think it was Spires fish and chips) 3d a bag.
Opposite your shop was the bicycle shop. I went to Brasshouse Lane school and the infants on Kimberley Road. My uncle owned the newspaper shop in Dartmouth Road. His name was Albert Wallcroft. My nan lived on Kimberley Road. I really hope to hear from you or anyone else who lived on the Albion Estate.

hello hilary and welcome to the forum hope you enjoy it...just to say that although still a member pamhol has not been seen on the forum since 2013 but hopefully she may log back on and read your post

lyn

Thank you Lyn. Maybe someone else may remember too.
It would be nice to know if anyone remembers our family from St. Stephens avenue ( off Halfords Lane). We were the Hall family. I was born in the front room in 1945 and moved out in 1965 when I married. My older sister is Joan and older brother Derek. My dad (Bill) used to repair everyone’s clocks in those days. I recall on some occasions ; on the hour, many clocks chiming and cuckoos popping in at the same time. Every night it was quite the task for my dad to wind them all up before going to bed!!!!!

There are some memories to add, but regrettably I cannot recall in detail as it’s all a long time ago. Gran and step grandad in Cemetery Rd, Gran’s sister and her husband in Victoria Rd, Dad’s half brother and his wife in Lonsdale Rd, then moved to Londonderry district. About once a month or so the 4 hours of a Saturday afternoon would be a mad rush of a drive from central Staffs to Smethwick and a charge round the relatives. Mum ran a little offy/general store, and the opening hours were sacrosanct.

Very occasional trips into “town” to the old fish market, (no roof?), last call at Gran’s, tinned salmon, green salad and fruit and cream sticks in the memory. Not much time to play with the cousins, but now and then the various bits of the family would come to us. My cousin who went to Holly Lodge, now a retired teacher in Devon, still has his Mum around, living close to him but independent still, well into her 90s. They say hard work never killed anybody, if that is true she is the living proof.

My family were brilliant, always cheerful and supportive, and people of my vintage got the best life due to the period in which we grew up. Education, jobs, never quite enough money, but we all got fed. In certain respects I can’t believe my good fortune.

But that’s another story.

Cheers
jfs

Does anyone remember Glovers sweet shop on the corner of Londonderry Lane and Francis Road, Smethwick, in the 1950s? Known by locals at the time as "Dirty Betty's"
Yes I remember Glovers sweet shop.U sed to think she was a witch with her long fingernails ,dirty hands and grey whispy hair!It didn't stop us buying sweets from there though. I remember Carol's just up from there and the Coop on the opposite corner.I lived in Manor Road .

Back