• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stratford Road

There was the sparkhill library,with the big clock tower with the clock face lit up( after the war) which used to fascinate me, the library building was originally the Worcestershire council office !! Yes this part of sparhill was once in Worcestershire !! Next door was the Police station,on the corner of Court road,on the other side of the library is the Sparkhill baths,( used as a first aid centre in WW2) and then St Johns school,which I attended from 1941 until 1944,it had a packed dirt playground,and an entrance into Sparkhill park,where we were allowed to play in at playtime!! A pupil would ring a hand bell,when playtime was over,and back to lessons,the park had a bandstand,and a large pool,great for sliding over when it froze in the winter,all iron railings were taken away to help the war effort,happy times good memories Ray Evason.

Sparkhill baths was also used for fatalities of air raids. I remember going there with my Nan when she had to identify a young couple and their two small children who were killed in an air raid just a little further up Stratford Road on the corner of Evelyn Road. They were relations - so sad.

I'm a bit late into this thread but reading the posts is so evocative of my childhood and adolescent days. We lived in Castleford Road for most of the 1960s before moving to Acocks Green in 1968 then to Hall Green in 1970. The latter is important to mention because the no 32 was the bus I got into and out of Birmingham that went from the Gospel Oak Pub and turned onto the Stratford Road at School Road. In the 1960sI recall going to the shops in Sparkhill every day with my mother as these were the days when all food and vegetable were bought fresh. I recall a fruit and veg shop on the corner of Durham Road and Stratford Road opposite to where Burtons used to be. Another place I vividly recall was a (every) old-style place that sold clothes but also acted as a travel agent. Whenever we wanted tickets to go anywhere this is where we booked. And whilst I remember the Woolworths that was between Durham Road and Newton Road, I am unsure what the supermarket almost opposite Baker Street was called; Liptons I think but someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll post again but remember the landmarks along the Stratford Road as you travelled along on the bus. I remember going swimming at the baths and being in the park on so, so many occasions.

Whilst it's wonderful to reminisce about things I can recall, I regret that I didn't get to see some of the landmarks that had gone by the time I was growing up. There were two cinemas in Hall Green, The Rialto and The Robin hood that were both demolished to allow supermarkets to be built. I know that in the case of the latter it was a Macfisheries in the 1970s but I'd no idea what it is now. The latter became the Waitrose store that is still there and we used regularly. I can still remember going into Waitrose for the first time in 1972 as one of the teachers at my secondary school - Hall Green Bilateral - wanted us to get to better understand our soon to be European neighbours when we joined the EEC the following January and instructed us to find examples of French cheese. When we asked where we would find such produce we were told to go to Waitrose. It was like entering into a different world and very different to anything that I'd seen in Sparkhill or Acocks Green.

Oh to have a time machine.....!

I'm a bit late into this thread but reading the posts is so evocative of my childhood and adolescent days. We lived in Castleford Road for most of the 1960s before moving to Acocks Green in 1968 then to Hall Green in 1970. The latter is important to mention because the no 32 was the bus I got into and out of Birmingham that went from the Gospel Oak Pub and turned onto the Stratford Road at School Road. In the 1960sI recall going to the shops in Sparkhill every day with my mother as these were the days when all food and vegetable were bought fresh. I recall a fruit and veg shop on the corner of Durham Road and Stratford Road opposite to where Burtons used to be. Another place I vividly recall was a (every) old-style place that sold clothes but also acted as a travel agent. Whenever we wanted tickets to go anywhere this is where we booked. And whilst I remember the Woolworths that was between Durham Road and Newton Road, I am unsure what the supermarket almost opposite Baker Street was called; Liptons I think but someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll post again but remember the landmarks along the Stratford Road as you travelled along on the bus. I remember going swimming at the baths and being in the park on so, so many occasions.

Whilst it's wonderful to reminisce about things I can recall, I regret that I didn't get to see some of the landmarks that had gone by the time I was growing up. There were two cinemas in Hall Green, The Rialto and The Robin hood that were both demolished to allow supermarkets to be built. I know that in the case of the latter it was a Macfisheries in the 1970s but I'd no idea what it is now. The latter became the Waitrose store that is still there and we used regularly. I can still remember going into Waitrose for the first time in 1972 as one of the teachers at my secondary school - Hall Green Bilateral - wanted us to get to better understand our soon to be European neighbours when we joined the EEC the following January and instructed us to find examples of French cheese. When we asked where we would find such produce we were told to go to Waitrose. It was like entering into a different world and very different to anything that I'd seen in Sparkhill or Acocks Green.

Oh to have a time machine.....!
Welcome Steven. I remember most of the shops you mention, as well as the 32 bus. I lived at the bottom of Cubley Road near to the Rialto and remember it being demolished and replaced with MacFisheries. The same building is now Poundstretcher, the latest of many names that the supermarket has had over the years.
Can anyone name them all?? (no prizes).
I have attached a photograph of the Rialto dated 1927, I think it was probably taken as a publicity photograph when the Rialto opened. In addition I've added a photograph of the Robin Hood cinema - a magnificent building - taken in 1970, just before its demolition. It's such a shame that the will to preserve the facades of these "picture palaces" did not exist back when we lost these. Nowadays they'd be kept with the new building behind them so that we can still enjoy their magnificence.

Attachments

• Rialto Cinema Hall Green (1927-1959) in 1927.jpg
    Rialto Cinema Hall Green (1927-1959) in 1927.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Robin Hood Cinema - Hall Green 1970.jpg
    Robin Hood Cinema - Hall Green 1970.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 38
There is plenty to see about the Rialto and the Robin Hood here:
They also feature in posts within this thread.

Bought my 1st Winkle picker shoes from a fashion shoe shop next to the Army & Navy stores on the Sparkhill Hill close to the boarder with Sparkbrook. Every body in those days late 50's bought there football boots from that Army & Navy stores.
Next to Sparkhill Post Office I recall a very trendy coffee bar that used to be a cool place to meet, can't remember the name? They played a lot of USA pop music and danced all round the tables. Remember the girls spinning skirts. Never saw ladies under garments before. Frightening for a young lad like me born 1947.
Hi Bob, I think you'll find that the trendy coffee bar was called 'The Magnet'.
Frank M

Love the earlier view of the bridge at Camp Hill, the tram, the Shakespeare pub et-cetra (#134).

In the late thirties, early forties, I remember the old L.M.S. locomotives travelling over that bridge, usually hauling wagons. The Ferodo Brake Linings sign was well known. My grandfather & grandmother lived just across the road from the Shakespeare, at 58 Auckland Road. Every Sunday morning my grandmother would walk across to the Shakespeare with a pint jug, to get my grand fathers Sunday 'pint'.

Sadly, some of the houses in Auckland Road have been replaced. A few years ago, whilst in 'Brum', I visited the area, and my grand parents house, 58 Auckland Road is no longer there.

Although the area may still look somewhat similar, the same it ain't.

Eddie
I grew up down the road from there in the 1960s and can attest to the fact that you are absolutely correct; the same it surely ain't!

Welcome Steven. I remember most of the shops you mention, as well as the 32 bus. I lived at the bottom of Cubley Road near to the Rialto and remember it being demolished and replaced with MacFisheries. The same building is now Poundstretcher, the latest of many names that the supermarket has had over the years.
Can anyone name them all?? (no prizes).
I have attached a photograph of the Rialto dated 1927, I think it was probably taken as a publicity photograph when the Rialto opened. In addition I've added a photograph of the Robin Hood cinema - a magnificent building - taken in 1970, just before its demolition. It's such a shame that the will to preserve the facades of these "picture palaces" did not exist back when we lost these. Nowadays they'd be kept with the new building behind them so that we can still enjoy their magnificence.
Those are wonderful buildings full of great memories!

There was the sparkhill library,with the big clock tower with the clock face lit up( after the war) which used to fascinate me, the library building was originally the Worcestershire council office !! Yes this part of sparhill was once in Worcestershire !! Next door was the Police station,on the corner of Court road,on the other side of the library is the Sparkhill baths,( used as a first aid centre in WW2) and then St Johns school,which I attended from 1941 until 1944,it had a packed dirt playground,and an entrance into Sparkhill park,where we were allowed to play in at playtime!! A pupil would ring a hand bell,when playtime was over,and back to lessons,the park had a bandstand,and a large pool,great for sliding over when it froze in the winter,all iron railings were taken away to help the war effort,happy times good memories Ray Evason.

Just a small point - The building now occupied by Sparkhill Library was build as Yardley Rural District Council offices; hence the name "council house" which name seems to have been passed down the generations. Sparkhill was historically part of Yardley Parish & later Yardley R.D.C.

Thanks Mikejee, Phil and History-Fan for further information on Eric Willmont's shop. It looks as if the shop was there for a very long time. I believe that Eric ran the shop for many, many years but it was eventually run by a son of his. I bought my rugby gear from there for Camp Hill GS, and also remember buying a foil (fencing sword) as I had dreams of being good at fencing. As Phil mentions, on the other side of Cubley Road was the Co-op Dairy. Certainly in the late 1940s there was a stable there for the horse-pulled milk vehicles. Dave.
I too got my sports gear from there for Camp Hill in 1969 and for some years after. I believe Eric willmont's son Richard took the shop over, he worked at the shop in school holidays and believe he was a pupil at Saltley Grammar. Sadly I am sure I remember reading in the Evening Mail that Richard committed suicide as the business struggled to keep up with the changes in retailing. The shop was two shops knocked into one I believe numbers 1047 and 1049. I well remember the used tennis balls, I believe the family where members of Springfield tennis club in Petersfield Road in Hall Green. I well remember Bernard Coopers shop as it stocked the uniform for my primary school, Yorke House School in Scool Road in Hall Green, I was most impressed as a small boy by his Rolls Royce registration number HC 4 which he parked at the top of Station Drive leading down to the coal yards and row of small coal merchants offices. He also had a shop in Kings Heath on the corner of the High Street and Vicarage Road, opposite All Saints Church, where I later married my wife who lived in All Saints Road. I wonder if anyone remembers another men's outfitter called Huins who also sold school socks. I also have fond memories of many other shops, Wrensons, George Mason's, Enterprise Hardware, an independent record shop who's name escapes me, my Mum's favourite Katherine Draisey, Ruperts Pets with puppies in the window, Boots chemist which was taken over by Edgar Glaser who previously had his shop in School Road but saw the advantage of being directly opposite Dr Johnson's surgery who's son Andrew I went to primary school with. Cookery Nook who sold my favourite Edna May lemon curd. I also remember a newsagent with a yellow and black frontage, for some reason I think it may have been called Houghtons and later became a dry cleaners. There was also South Midland Tyre Services who's Director was Dennis Amiss the Warwickshire and England cricketer on the junction of the Stratford Road and Cresswell Road. Either side of Bernard Cooper were two Trend Decor decorators shops and next to them a pet shop called Gay Pets or possibly Cor Pets. Just off the corner of Stratford Road and Welby Road was Maurice Woodhead Electrical Shop, Mr Woodhead fascinated me when he tested every bulb you bought, particularly when it was a red one for our 3 bar flame effect electric fire, after that was a car sales garage I think run by Des Sheridan and also the Hull family, followed by an office for Links Driving School who's Mr Parker taught me and my brother to drive. Then came a knitting shop who's name I can not remeber and the Jill Ireland light shop. You are now on the corner of School Road where there was a Barber and fishing tackle shop and just down from there in School Road was Ralph Huggett's newsagent and sweet shop. I also remember that on the other side of the Stratford Road just down from the School Road traffic lights was the Hedges L260 Snuff building. Hall Green gave me the happiest chidhood you could have, so many great memories.

Hello,

I'm working on a HLF funded project called My Route and we are looking for any information about the history Stratford Road (Sparkbrook to Hall Green) from the 1940s onwards. The kinds of subjects we will be covering include entertainment e.g. cinemas, pubs, dance halls; shops/businesses/industry; parks; World War II experiences and memories of residents throughout the years.

If anyone can help us with providing information, photos or just taking an interest in the project, we would be very grateful if you could get in touch and reply below.

At the moment we are trying to find out about the army barracks near where Wickes was in Hall Green.

Thank you!
No one has mentioned that in the 60s or 70s ATV news reader Pat Astley owned the petrol station on the hill up from The Mermaid to the parade, he drove a coffee brown Rover 200 P6 Registration number ATV 1 or ATV 2 on the opposite side of the road, at the top of the hill was a Ferrari dealership run by Colmore Depot. I have also posted details of many other businesses on other threads. Don't forget MacFisheries supermarket that opened on the opposite corner to Colmore Depot an enormous shop at the time!

Hi Mike. Glad that you remember Cookery Nook. It was the only proper tea-shop on Hall Green Parade. I visited Bernard Cooper's shop many times but I don't remember another men's outfitter called Huins. There was one called McEwans which was on the Parade and not far from Boots the Chemists. We do have a thread for KEGS Camp Hill which may be of interest to you. Welcome to the Forum. Dave.

I too got my sports gear from there for Camp Hill in 1969 and for some years after. I believe Eric willmont's son Richard took the shop over, he worked at the shop in school holidays and believe he was a pupil at Saltley Grammar. Sadly I am sure I remember reading in the Evening Mail that Richard committed suicide as the business struggled to keep up with the changes in retailing. The shop was two shops knocked into one I believe numbers 1047 and 1049. I well remember the used tennis balls, I believe the family where members of Springfield tennis club in Petersfield Road in Hall Green. I well remember Bernard Coopers shop as it stocked the uniform for my primary school, Yorke House School in Scool Road in Hall Green, I was most impressed as a small boy by his Rolls Royce registration number HC 4 which he parked at the top of Station Drive leading down to the coal yards and row of small coal merchants offices. He also had a shop in Kings Heath on the corner of the High Street and Vicarage Road, opposite All Saints Church, where I later married my wife who lived in All Saints Road. I wonder if anyone remembers another men's outfitter called Huins who also sold school socks. I also have fond memories of many other shops, Wrensons, George Mason's, Enterprise Hardware, an independent record shop who's name escapes me, my Mum's favourite Katherine Draisey, Ruperts Pets with puppies in the window, Boots chemist which was taken over by Edgar Glaser who previously had his shop in School Road but saw the advantage of being directly opposite Dr Johnson's surgery who's son Andrew I went to primary school with. Cookery Nook who sold my favourite Edna May lemon curd. I also remember a newsagent with a yellow and black frontage, for some reason I think it may have been called Houghtons and later became a dry cleaners. There was also South Midland Tyre Services who's Director was Dennis Amiss the Warwickshire and England cricketer on the junction of the Stratford Road and Cresswell Road. Either side of Bernard Cooper were two Trend Decor decorators shops and next to them a pet shop called Gay Pets or possibly Cor Pets. Just off the corner of Stratford Road and Welby Road was Maurice Woodhead Electrical Shop, Mr Woodhead fascinated me when he tested every bulb you bought, particularly when it was a red one for our 3 bar flame effect electric fire, after that was a car sales garage I think run by Des Sheridan and also the Hull family, followed by an office for Links Driving School who's Mr Parker taught me and my brother to drive. Then came a knitting shop who's name I can not remeber and the Jill Ireland light shop. You are now on the corner of School Road where there was a Barber and fishing tackle shop and just down from there in School Road was Ralph Huggett's newsagent and sweet shop. I also remember that on the other side of the Stratford Road just down from the School Road traffic lights was the Hedges L260 Snuff building. Hall Green gave me the happiest chidhood you could have, so many great memories.
[/QU
Sorry to go on but therE was also the Atco showroom on the corner of School road just before the Horse ShoeS Pub. Atco was later demolished to become a car sales pitch, run by a gentleman who drove a purple Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, registration number NOB 1M.

Hi Mike. Glad that you remember Cookery Nook. It was the only proper tea-shop on Hall Green Parade. I visited Bernard Cooper's shop many times but I don't remember another men's outfitter called Huins. There was one called McEwans which was on the Parade and not far from Boots the Chemists. We do have a thread for KEGS Camp Hill which may be of interest to you. Welcome to the Forum. Dave.
Hi Dave, thank you for your welcome, I well remember McEwans, I think you had to knock the door and the lady who ran the shop would come from her sitting room which was behind the shop. I will look for the Camp Hill thread, guess you will remember Len Bowles, Dennis Marsden an Alan Cholmondeley, perhaps Mike Southall who still teaches, regards, Mike.

Hi Dave, thank you for your welcome, I well remember McEwans, I think you had to knock the door and the lady who ran the shop would come from her sitting room which was behind the shop. I will look for the Camp Hill thread, guess you will remember Len Bowles, Dennis Marsden an Alan Cholmondeley, perhaps Mike Southall who still teaches, regards,
Hi Dave, thank you for your welcome, I well remember McEwans, I think you had to knock the door and the lady who ran the shop would come from her sitting room which was behind the shop. I will look for the Camp Hill thread, guess you will remember Len Bowles, Dennis Marsden an Alan Cholmondeley, perhaps Mike Southall who still teaches, regards, Mike.
Do you remember the machine in Freeman Hardy an Willis to X Ray you feet?

I remember Freeman Hardy and Willis on Hall Green Parade but not an X-ray machine there (I could well be wrong). There were definitely some shoe shops in town where feet could be X-rayed. Small point regarding #292, but the pub at the bottom of the hill from the parade, going into town, was the College Arms not The Mermaid. Thanks for the extra information on Willmont's shop. Dave

I remember Freeman Hardy and Willis on Hall Green Parade but not an X-ray machine there (I could well be wrong). There were definitely some shoe shops in town where feet could be X-rayed. Small point regarding #292, but the pub at the bottom of the hill from the parade, going into town, was the College Arms not The Mermaid. Thanks for the extra information on Willmont's shop. Dave
You are quite right, The Mermaid was further down the Stratford road on the junction with Warwick Road. Opposite the Mermaid on the Y junction was V A Luck timber merchants. A little further down was a barber shop by the name of Vincenzo Di Matteo which I believe is still there after 55 years and a little further down the car dealership Mario Delliotti. As I mentioned before There was A Ferrari Dealership of Colmore Depot at the top of the hill up from the College Arms, didn't realise what an exotic location it was! Between Doctor Johnson's and the Co Op milkyard was the Post Office where my Mum would pick up the family allowance on her way to Mac Fisheries. I also remember her taxing our car with a big green cardboard log book. Does anyone remember the name of the record shop next to Enterprise hardware, Studio Musica was in Shirley, was it Midland Music?

No one has mentioned that in the 60s or 70s ATV news reader Pat Astley owned the petrol station on the hill up from The Mermaid to the parade, he drove a coffee brown Rover 200 P6 Registration number ATV 1 or ATV 2 on the opposite side of the road, at the top of the hill was a Ferrari dealership run by Colmore Depot. I have also posted details of many other businesses on other threads. Don't forget MacFisheries supermarket that opened on the opposite corner to Colmore Depot an enormous shop at the time!
Sorry another senior moment, it was the College Arms, I had a knife pulled on me in the Mermaid by a digruntled claimant as I worked at the DHSS in Poplar Road, next to the abattoir and he wasn'y happy with a decision he had received in the morning and recognised me from the office, I had nothing to do with it, I was a clerical officer there as my father told me it was a propper job! Wasn't there long!

Back