• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

West Midlands Metro trams going blue 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pair of trams at Town Hall Tram Stop

29 Cupid and 22 Dasher

From the other end of Paradise Street with the Town Hall.

Now a view of the dome of Birmingham Cathedral.

Boxing Day trams.

But tram 30 was broken down on Corporation Street, so no trams could get to Grand Central and on to Library.

Tram 28 Jasper Carrott at Bull Street also looked broken down or out of service. Was also a car behind.

But tram 22 was in service.

Some blue West Midlands Metro photos from my latest visit to Wolverhampton.

First up at Grand Central in Birmingham.

Wolverhampton St George's.

From Ring Road St George's.

More later from the Bilston Road and Priestfield.

Priestfield Tram Stop

Tram 18 (I missed catching this one).

Tram 30

Tram 32 (I got this one to Bull Street).

Another superb set of pictures. Three queries
1. Is the red on tram 30 advertising?
2. Why has tram 19 got white around it?
3. How many trams are there and did they follow on in fleet numbers from the original ones?

Off theme for a minute, just finished binging on 28 alerts, trust you all enjoyed your Christmas day, spent mine in the sun, waved to Maurice as we flew over Crete, sorry Ray that I was not there for North Devons rain and wind.
Back on theme, you showed a picture of a broken down tram. Does this back up the rest of the trams? Are there breakdown engineers on call around the system or do they come out on request from the depot? Where is the current terminus in Broad Street and finally how is the Wolverhampton extension going?

Bob

Bob
To answer some of your questions. The red is advertising for 'Just Eats' a mobile app to order takeaways. The present terminus in Broad Street is by the former registry office.
The original fleet of 16 trams have now mainly been scrapped although 4 are still in store at Long Marston. The present fleet consists of 21 CAF Urbos 3 trams with a further 21 on order. The numbers run on from the T69 trams

Another superb set of pictures. Three queries
1. Is the red on tram 30 advertising?
2. Why has tram 19 got white around it?

Bob

Tram 30 is fully blue with no adverts.

Tram 18 has the red Just Eat adverts. As David says it for an app.

Tram 19 has the 20th anniversary livery. Assume that will be taken off sometime in 2020, then go fully blue?

Bob
To answer some of your questions. The red is advertising for 'Just Eats' a mobile app to order takeaways. The present terminus in Broad Street is by the former registry office.
The original fleet of 16 trams have now mainly been scrapped although 4 are still in store at Long Marston. The present fleet consists of 21 CAF Urbos 3 trams with a further 21 on order. The numbers run on from the T69 trams
How times have changed. A city that was well known for building passenger vehicles - Metropolitain-Cammel (Weyman) and BRCW now has Spanish trams. Admittedly CAF seem to have cornered the market due to their expertise, but something was seriously wrong to loose such an industry. As we are still in the season of goodwill I won't point a finger.

How times have changed. A city that was well known for building passenger vehicles - Metropolitain-Cammel (Weyman) and BRCW now has Spanish trams. Admittedly CAF seem to have cornered the market due to their expertise, but something was seriously wrong to loose such an industry. As we are still in the season of goodwill I won't point a finger.
Commercial economics I'm afraid. The shareholders have got to be fed.
If someone offered me as an example £20,000,000 for my house, I wouldn't hesitate to take up the offer.

Privatisation of the railways meant that BR stopped buying new trains continuing to run time served rolling stock. The new franchisees needed time to sort out the buying requirements etc. By which time railway manufacturing had disappeared from this country. What manufacturing we still have is foreign owned.

Bob
Thanks very much

Bob

Privatisation of the railways meant that BR stopped buying new trains continuing to run time served rolling stock. The new franchisees needed time to sort out the buying requirements etc. By which time railway manufacturing had disappeared from this country. What manufacturing we still have is foreign owned.
I suppose you could say it was a lack of forward planning; or more to the point no planning at all!

Bob,

At 30 plus thousand feet I wouldn't have seen the plane let alone you waving - but thanks! :)

This is what worries me about trams - a high cost infrastructure and when one (or two) break down, a chunk of the system breaks down too.

Maurice :cool:

Bilston Road, Wolverhampton.

Tram 19

Tram 18

Tram 32

Good picture.

To the left of the tram as we look at it was a 'Spencer Abbott' fuel depot. Spencer Abbott of Erdington once had a canal boat building business on Tyburn Road, they later moved to the 'Esso' site in Wood lane Erdington.

Bob,

At 30 plus thousand feet I wouldn't have seen the plane let alone you waving - but thanks! :)

This is what worries me about trams - a high cost infrastructure and when one (or two) break down, a chunk of the system breaks down too.

Maurice :cool:
That, Maurice, was one of the main reasons Birmingham abandoned it tramway system in the mid 20th. century. It had been intended to have happened a little earlier but WW2 gave the system a short reprieve. Of course in those times the streets were narrow and trams impeded other road traffic which was expanding. Now it seems that the once favoured city of big roads, devoted to the motor vehicle, has given way to tramways with no other traffic than emergency vehicles in some places it seems.

They have got cross over track near certain tram stops.

When a tram breaks down, the stops beyond the broken down tram can't be reached until they remove it.

Cross over track at Priestfield in Wolverhampton.

If trams can't go beyond Priestfield (i.e to Wolvehampton St George's) the trams turn back towards Birmingham.

A question re the new battery trams.

When a tram leaves or rejoins the overhead wire system to run on batteries, does the driver of the tram have to raise and lower the pantograph manually or does it happen automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back