• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Cross Cinema

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread but for info...

The opening of Bosco's New Picture House at Villa Cross was advertised in May 1915 (not 1913 as stated in Cinema Treasures), and built from designs of C Sharp-Smith, architect, Bull Street, Birmingham.

thanks viv...its amazing that even though this was hard times for everyone folk still did their bit for the war effort:)

A couple of photo's I have on my computer.....I did see a few films in the late 1960's there but I cannot remember what the inside of the cinema looked like, I think it looked classy compare to the Orient ... Villa20Cross_[1].jpg

Attachments

• Lozells%2520Picture%2520H[1].jpg
    Lozells%2520Picture%2520H[1].jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 42
hello aston lad...yes the interior of the villa cross was lovely...ive just been through this thread and noticed that for one reason or another some photos have been lost...i will try and find time today to repost the ones i posted which do include interior shots and also a couple of the demo of it...spent many happy saturday morning there..sad to see its gone to be replaced by a car park:mad:ps i have reposted the demo photos and one of the foyer but i do have more of the foyer that are on my desk top so will sort those out tonight

lyn

Last edited:
ahh my old villa cross picture house banjo...we wernt posh round there :D happy days

lyn
THE VILLA CROSS PICTURE HOUSE
Seeing this post reminded me of the time, around 1963 that me & my friends were stopped from entering on the steps of the Odeon by the manager because we were wearing drainpipe jeans. At that time the Villa Cross always showed the same film as the Odeon so, we went there and got in without any problem. The thing that makes me smile now is the film was Walt Disney's "Sword & the Stone".

Attachments

• Villa Cross int old4.jpg
    Villa Cross int old4.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 20
  • villa x int 2.jpg
    villa x int 2.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 17
  • villa x int 3.jpg
    villa x int 3.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 19
  • villa x old 1.jpg
    villa x old 1.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Villa X Ext Snowy day1a.jpg
    Villa X Ext Snowy day1a.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 25
wonderful photos of my villa cross pic house chris...many thanks all but one new to me...happy days

lyn

Brings back a lot of memories! Looking from the front right just out of the last picture was Mrs Brants Sweet Shop was always really busy on a Saturday morning and just before the regular shows started!

hi richard if you used the villa cross where did you live....new housing on the site of the old villa cross pic house now...the white building to the right in street view below was the little shop we used to use every saturday...would this be your mrs brants shop

lyn

hi richard if you used the villa cross where did you live....new housing on the site of the old villa cross pic house now...the white building to the right in street view below was the little shop we used to use every saturday...would this be your mrs brants shop

lyn

Lyn, I lived on Radnor Rd, it kind of behind the Villa Cross. If you went down Heathfield Rd toward Perry Barr, a short left on to Heathfield Ave and there is Radnor Rd.

hi richard i think i remember you telling me that some time ago...memory not as it was lol...yes i know radnor road as one of my teachers lived there....went to her house for tea once....was that the sweet shop you were on about...i posted a link to it ..think its grade listed but as we all know that does not really count for much these days

lyn

hi richard i think i remember you telling me that some time ago...memory not as it was lol...yes i know radnor road as one of my teachers lived there....went to her house for tea once....was that the sweet shop you were on about...i posted a link to it ..think its grade listed but as we all know that does not really count for much these days

lyn
It might be the Sweet Shop, the owner was Mrs Brant.

well if mrs brants was on the right as you face the pic house then yes i would say so...its the only one i remember...we also used to buy a glass of tizer pop from there for a penny :)

Radnor Road was on my bread round route when I was part timing for Bradfords back in around 1948, we also had the flats in Hampstead Road where a blind lady would give me 1d for a tip when I delivered, she said it's not much but if every customer gave you a penny and you saved them you would soon be rich. :)

Are those flats still there?

Radnor Road was on my bread round route when I was part timing for Bradfords back in around 1948, we also had the flats in Hampstead Road where a blind lady would give me 1d for a tip when I delivered, she said it's not much but if every customer gave you a penny and you saved them you would soon be rich. :)

Are those flats still there?
Don't know about the flats Eric, I haven't lived there since 1962! About pennies, my grandfather used to say, pennies make pounds then we have real money!

Google Earth says yes, and looking good too.

View attachment 140284
Are thay the flats the late noel gorden from crossroads fame .?she used to park her rolls Royce in hall road outside our house and walk up to the ville ge to do her shopping. Our back gate on hampsted rd
faced Radnor Rd had I have seen that small quadrant of the villa cross window in that rubble back then when thay tore it down I might have given the demolition men a drink for it .what a wonderful bit of nostalgia to be on the front of any home.

Are thay the flats the late noel gorden from crossroads fame .?she used to park her rolls Royce in hall road outside our house and walk up to the ville ge to do her shopping. Our back gate on hampsted rd
faced Radnor Rd had I have seen that small quadrant of the villa cross window in that rubble back then when thay tore it down I might have given the demolition men a drink for it .what a wonderful bit of nostalgia to be on the front of any home.
I got the wrong flats. Sorry I went past thosed flats this morning trying to avoid perrybarr new lay out.????? Joining the walsall rd from the aldridge rd into town is looking for an accident . The flats were actually about 100 yards down the hampstead rd from the old mists garage , remember them? Nice photo anyway.

Back