• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Just wondered if anyone had any photos which showed anything camera or photographic related... I noticed one photo in the thread of a chemist on Potters Hill with Kodak and Ilford signs in the window which is great, but wondered if anyone had any photos of photographic studios or works, or camera related buildings in?
This is one of my favourites (not taken by me), I used to look in the window each time I passed, I would dream of owning the cameras on display, photography has been prominent throughout my life, and still is. I did eventually manage to buy a decent camera.

Attachments

• astonx-parklane1.jpg
    astonx-parklane1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 148
so pleased you managed to get that camera john...looking again at that photo there were some nice buildings down that way...shame they have all gone

lyn

You started this thread back in 2017. There have been 28 replies.
I thought I would try a different tack which may give different results... the posts already mentioned from this question have been useful

Re photo 61, Craelius, Cheston Road
Was there a Council Public Works Depot at this location?. My uncle used to live in a building at the side of the depot entrance. Could this be the same one.

st peters place and st martins place off broad st dated 1969

View attachment 117397

monument road/ledsam st ladywood dated 1960

View attachment 117398

clifton road aston dated 1969..i love this one its so busy..

View attachment 117399

heathfield road dated 1965

View attachment 117400
I moved to Birmingham in 1987 and was living in Ladywood and working off Paradise Circus. My first day at the new job was the day the demolition of St Peters Place area started to make way for the ICC.

I know I'm writing again but these photos bring such happy memories.I worked at McGaulies toy shop in Villa Road in the sixties.

Hi Carolyn,

Whereabouts in Villa Road was McGaulies? I can't seem to picture it at the moment. I was a paper boy for Colletts newsagents next door to Baines (corner of villa Road / Hunters Road) & a couple of doors down from the Chicken Inn chippie. My cousin worked in a gents fashion shop (double fronted place) just below Barker Street. I also did a Saturday job at Wrensons on Villa Road as a delivery boy riding a very heavy bicycle especially when the basket on the front was fully laden with produce ha ha.

Lozellian.

Hi Carolyn,

Whereabouts in Villa Road was McGaulies? I can't seem to picture it at the moment. I was a paper boy for Colletts newsagents next door to Baines (corner of villa Road / Hunters Road) & a couple of doors down from the Chicken Inn chippie. My cousin worked in a gents fashion shop (double fronted place) just below Barker Street. I also did a Saturday job at Wrensons on Villa Road as a delivery boy riding a very heavy bicycle especially when the basket on the front was fully laden with produce ha ha.

Lozellian.

Hi Carolyn,

Just an update from my last reply to your post, age may have addled my brain somewhat; I got it wrong my Saturday job was actually for George Masons and not Wrensons doh.

Lozellian.

Lyn just going through the photos .Came across No84 Yardley Church.My friend lived in the house on the Left in1960 .His father Vic Saunders lived up the yard just past the bend were the Blacksmiths shop just sticks out.Great photo brings back memories.

Please could anyone tell me which post the pic of No84 is in? There are lots of posts in this thread, I have had a quick look, but as I haven't seen a pic of my families blacksmith forge I am interested to see this pic.

I remember Trippas Bakery on the corner of Ladypool Road, they baked wonderful bread, I always called in for a large cottage loaf when I was down the Lane. They tell me the cakes were great as well but never being a cake eater I wouldn't know personally, but I'm sure they were.
My mom worked at the bakery early morning, used to call in on my way to school for a piece of bread pudding.

This was on Twitter, posted by Birmingham Museum Images. It's Bordesley Green with the tram going to High Street. My husband thinks the roads to either side are Blake Lane and Churchill Road.BG.jpg

safe_image (3).jpgDoing a Google street view from my old home on Moat Lane Yardley I went down the street to Bilton Grange Road and Charlbury Cresent, to where my dear Mom went shopping every day. The grocers, butchers even a sweets shop, Of course with progress I should have expected this, BUT all the shops now are gone, now houses? anyone have a photos of how it was?

View attachment 140180Doing a Google street view from my old home on Moat Lane Yardley I went down the street to Bilton Grange Road and Charlbury Cresent, to where my dear Mom went shopping every day. The grocers, butchers even a sweets shop, Of course with progress I should have expected this, BUT all the shops now are gone, now houses? anyone have a photos of how it was?
Where my mom used to go to the post office to collect the family allowance.

Back