• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Porchester Street

if our map expert mike spots this he maybe able to post you a map highlighting no 59 porchester st

In the 1910 Kellys no 59 is listed as Mrs Sarah Hodgetts, beer retailer. this could be either a beerhouse (pub) or just an off licence, but the 1901 census lists it as a pub. It seems to have disappeared by the 1912 edition. Below is a map showing no 59 in red.

map c 1950 showing 59 Portchester St.jpg

Thanks that's really interesting. Are there any photos around that you know of?

When I asked mum what the name of the place she lived in she said the Porchester at the corner of Clifford/Porchester.

I know each flat was numbered, as you would expect. I'll ask more questions of my other aunties as they are all still around.

I've been told about the pub/flats since I was a kid, with dad wheeling his Motorbike through the gates into the yard.

I see the logic that it could be the place you have suggested, plus it's a corner building....but the memories don't match from several separate memories. If you have any other thoughts........

Regards
David

The Porchester Arms was on the corner of Porchester Street and Clifford Street, and existed from at least 1878. it belonged to Holt Brewery Co. in 1908. It was still hanging on in 1961.

sorry empty just seen your post how wonderful for you to get such good photos of the porchester and as you said you can even see your dads name above the door...makes it all worth while me posting my photos..surprised you have not seen them before though as they have been on the forum for at least 2 years...better late than never :)

lyn

Thanks for the info, looks like I have the wrong corner. I'll have another chat with mum. I did visit my Aunt just before Christmas and chatted about old times, as you do, and she talked about Porchester street. She mentioned living in a flat in a former pub and at one point she said it used to be called "the Old Mill" now I dismissed this as a false memory but based on the info above it seems I need to ask a few more questions.

I thought the Porchester Arms was on the corner of Porchester Street and Summer Lane. I vaguely remember playing darts there in the mid-1960's. As far as I recall, Porchester Street ran from Summer Lane to Clifford Street, but in later years was shortened by a park and no longer reaches Clifford Street. Unless there were two pubs called the Porchester Arms....

The 1891 census confirms that no 59 was the Old Mill Inn

View attachment 140168

brilliant mike thanks...that now confirms that the converted pub that davids parents lived in was the old mill inn and not the porchester arms...as this pub disappeared very early on its doubtful we will find a photo of it...the only chance is if a photo turns up of it after it was converted into flats..shame really as i do have a photo showing the old outdoor that was on the next corner up from the old mill :rolleyes:

hi G no porchester arms on summer lane as far as i know

lyn

ly

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help in solving the mystery.

I spoke to my mum again this morning and rephrased a few questions. She said Furnace lane was directly opposite the flats. She also said that it was originally converted to house Irish workers during the war, munitions workers.

All in all 3 couples in my family lived in those flats and it enabled each of them to save for deposits on their first house. They all have interesting and humorous stories of their time. The cellar was huge with steep steps to access it, of course my dad fell down them.

I'm hoping one of my aunts who lived there has some photos, if they do I'll post them.

Once again many thanks.

Best regards
David

In the 1910 Kellys no 59 is listed as Mrs Sarah Hodgetts, beer retailer. this could be either a beerhouse (pub) or just an off licence, but the 1901 census lists it as a pub. It seems to have disappeared by the 1912 edition. Below is a map showing no 59 in red.

View attachment 140164
On an other note...this map must be post WW2 as you can see the bomb peck on Paddington St, with lavs in the middle of the yard and the brewhouses to the left. I lived just below them in the lower SW corner 4/52. The map brings back many memories to me...The button factory at the bottom of Furnace Lane where my cousin was a charge hand. Actually, opposite #59 was a green grocers.
Dave A

Back