• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Edward Poyser (born 1920)

this is why i asked the question MWS...also i take it that dilys and edward divorced ??as on the 39 davies is crossed out replaced by poyser then thats crossed out and replaced by davies...

My first thought that she re-married a Davies, especially with the date, but I suppose all name changes had to be listed whatever the reason for it. So probably divorce, couldn't see a marriage.

I wonder if the marriage was one of those wartime marriages hurried into and then when the war was over they realised it was a mistake? Think that's how it was for my nan and grandad.

Also notice on the 1939 register she's listed as incapacitated.

im a tad confused by the info on the 39...the date of 2/3/45 i thought was the date of marriage to edward yet the marr cert gives the date of 11/12/44...then there is the other date alongside her name which looks like 21/11/67 or 69...was this indeed a remarriage to a davies... will have to check back but i think edwards 2nd marr was in 1965 think i will have a cuppa:rolleyes:

lyn

Are you sure that's correct? On the 1939 register her dob is 20 Aug 1917 and there's a death registered Jun 2002 Denbigh for a Dilys Mary Davies with that dob.

Thank you kindly. Not sure where I got the other date/place from on my FTM but having seen the headstone, you're right it has to be the same DM Davies so I've amended it accordingly.

this is why i asked the question MWS...also i take it that dilys and edward divorced ??as on the 39 davies is crossed out replaced by poyser then thats crossed out and replaced by davies...

I'd noticed that too. I was also puzzled by the notation 2/3/45 M ZNA? I didn't know they had divorced but the dates would certainly tend to suggest that. Certainly neither of them had died when Edward married again in 1965. I'll ask my friend when I speak to him on Friday.

im a tad confused by the info on the 39...the date of 2/3/45 i thought was the date of marriage to edward yet the marr cert gives the date of 11/12/44...then there is the other date alongside her name which looks like 21/11/67 or 69...was this indeed a remarriage to a davies... will have to check back but i think edwards 2nd marr was in 1965 think i will have a cuppa:rolleyes:

lyn

Yes Lyn. Edward's second marriage was 20th June 1965 in Blackpool to Frances May Whipp. I also have his first marriage as 11/12/44 to Dilys May, as per the marriage certificate.

It would be interesting to see how he described himself on his second marriage certificate. Single ? Widowed or divorced? Pity divorce record aren't online - at least I don’t think so.

I agree, Janice, very interesting. I will try to find out when I next speak to my friend and I also agree about divorce records ... I don't think so either. Keep watching this space as they say. :)

It would be interesting to see how he described himself on his second marriage certificate. Single ? Widowed or divorced? Pity divorce record aren't online - at least I don’t think so.

Hi Janice

Well I told you to keep watching this space and as I know you and possibly others may be interested, I have now received Edward's second marriage certificate and have just finished scanning it in and as you can see, it's listed as "previous marriage dissolved", which presumably is another way of saying divorced. Anyway I'll attach it and send. :)

Attachments

• Marriage Certificate Edward Poyser and Frances May Whipp reduced file size.jpg
    Marriage Certificate Edward Poyser and Frances May Whipp reduced file size.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi Janice

Well I told you to keep watching this space and as I know you and possibly others may be interested, I have now received Edward's second marriage certificate and have just finished scanning it in and as you can see, it's listed as "previous marriage dissolved", which presumably is another way of saying divorced. Anyway I'll attach it and send. :)

The difference between divorce and dissolution of marriage may be of some interest, as dissolution seems to be an amicable agreement by both parties on issues such as property and custody.

Hi Nick - interesting. It would seem it was "divorce" by agreement when the couples had parted amicably. Not come across it before. I assume he must have had to provide proof. Wonder how you find out?
Thanks for the update.

My first marriage ended in divorce and the second certificate said "Previous marriage dissolved". It doesn't mean the marriage ended amicably!!
In my experience you have to provide the Decree Absolute before another marriage can take place.
(Second time around has been very much better!!)
rosie.

My first marriage ended in divorce and the second certificate said "Previous marriage dissolved". It doesn't mean the marriage ended amicably!!
In my experience you have to provide the Decree Absolute before another marriage can take place.
rosie.

I think the “amicable” description comes from the understanding that both parties agree to settle the differences without the court deciding if parties cannot agree upon the child support, financial settlements or division of debt.

“A dissolution of marriage is a no-fault legal proceeding. Both partners agree that the marriage should end, and they agree upon how to divide the property and the debts. They also agree on custodial and child-support issues. A Decree of Dissolution must be filed with the court and both parties must appear before the judge on a designated court date.”

(Edited. To include a web site...)

Last edited:
rosie.
once is enough ta:mad:

I didn't have a Decree of Dissolution, or have to appear in court for the divorce itself.
rosie.

Hi Nick - interesting. It would seem it was "divorce" by agreement when the couples had parted amicably. Not come across it before. I assume he must have had to provide proof. Wonder how you find out?
Thanks for the update.
Yes very interesting. I've not come across it before either. Obviously I've heard of annulled in some cases where the marriage wasn't consumated but not disolved. How you'd find out the ins and outs, I've no idea either but as the saying goes, the plot thickens! lol

rosie.
So pleased to hear that 2nd time round is good for you, Rosie. My mother's second one was awful and believe it or not, she ended having to pay the man to leave the house as he refused to leave or give her a divorce yet he came to the marriage with very little financially. I guess that's why rich people these days use those pre-nuptual agreement things. :)

Pedrocut, I don't want to re-quote all of that fascinating/interesting stuff you kindly posted above just to say thank you so hope my appreciation and this thank you here will satisfy. :)

The 1945 rolls are online, and show Richard & Mary at 93 albert road in that year. A search showed no Edward Poyser in 1945. It has not been mentioned, and you may already be aware that the 1947 online rolls show an Edward Poyser with others at 9 Sandford Road in what is presumably a house converted into flats (see below:)
View attachment 140119

Hi Mike (and other lovely people who have helped too!), I've not been on for a while ... been having some almighty problems with my PC after a failed attempt to upgrade to Win10 from Win7 but all's well again now so could I ask if you have the full page for that please as I'd like to see if there may be other family members living nearby if possible. I'd be very grateful. If not no worries.

Back