• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Edward Poyser (born 1920)

I have been checking the word above home address on Edward's marriage certificate. I wonder if it is Lillington a small village in Warwickshire very near the Royal Warwickshire Regiments home base at Budbrooke. If he was in the army that would form his main address with home added underneath. So he gave his Father's address. He would not appear on an e roll as he would not be able to vote until 1941 - the first e roll would have been 1945 and by then he was married. I can only search Birmingham rolls but he could have been anywhere with Dilys.

Thank you again for your valuable insight, Janice. My only thought on that is to me it looks more like Allington? If you compare it to the line on top where the church is, it's in a place (Rossleth??) which seems to be *in* Allington? What do you think? Also have you had any joy with the occupation square? I can make out No (number?) then 857 etc or 257 etc ... then private, Royal Warwickshire Regiment then something in brackets I have struggled to make out for ages ... why can't the damn registry office type the damn certificates instead of photocopying them?! Or at least give you a transcription of them. Oh well.

As you rightly say, he could well have given his father's address and he could have been anywhere with Dilys. If only WW2 records were available now. Might help a great deal. :)

ww2 records are but you have to be next of kin (I think) to apply. The address is on the forum but I can only do links if on my laptop.
Think you are right about Allington. Maidstone barracks. Think it might be to do with transport.

Last edited:
I've just joined forces-war-records and done some searches on the National Archives website as well Google for what I think is his service record number from the marriage certificate but nothing comes up at all. I have a lot of E Poysers but none with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment either. Yes you're right about having to be next of kin, which my friend is, so I guess from that point of view, he's the one who will have to deal with it when he can. I will see if I can find anything regarding Maidstone Barracks so thank you again Janice. You're a mine of information. :)

Hi Nick - I may inadvertently have given you a red herring there. Apparently Allington is a suburb of Wrexham as well as a village near Maidstone. So a bit more digging needed.

It looks like architect and designer in brackets to me. Was that his civilian occupation?

And must be Allington Wrexham, as it says in the county of Denbighshire. Though it would be a great coincidence if he was living in one Allington and got married in the other.

Hi Nick - I may inadvertently have given you a red herring there. Apparently Allington is a suburb of Wrexham as well as a village near Maidstone. So a bit more digging needed.

Don't worry - Allington Wrexham would be correct as you rightly say. I'm sure Maidstone is completely the wrong area so thanks.

It looks like architect and designer in brackets to me. Was that his civilian occupation?

And must be Allington Wrexham, as it says in the county of Denbighshire. Though it would be a great coincidence if he was living in one Allington and got married in the other.

Thanks a million for that. I've taken another look and yes, it certainly seems to be as you say and would certainly make sense. I have no idea what his civilian occupation was but when I speak to my friend tomorrow, I'll ask him. :)

And yes too much of a coincidence to be the one near Maidstone rather than Wrexham but we'll see. :)

Agree about the Allington - I was trying to see where the Royal Warwicks were based. The number on his marriage cert seems to bear no resemblance to those numbers on Forces Records.

Last edited:
Yes thank you and I agree with what you say about the number looking different to war forces. I've just spoken to a friendly and helpful chat at GRO HQ and I've sent them a copy of the cert by email and he apologised for the bad photocopy and has offered to either send me another better more readable copy or will take a look and try to make sense of it, so hopefully in the fullness of time, we'll find out. :) My friend said he thinks they served in India at some point and family had suggested they served with or alongside the gurkhers but without a service number and being able to get hold of his service record, I think that's about as far as I can take this for now?

hi nick i will try and post it on here later on as its on ancestry...one thing puzzles me and that is i cant see why edwards name should be blacked out...my understanding is that anyone over the school age will not be blacked out unless i have got that wrong

lyn

hi nick i will try and post it on here later on as its on ancestry...one thing puzzles me and that is i cant see why edwards name should be blacked out...my understanding is that anyone over the school age will not be blacked out unless i have got that wrong

lyn
Lyn - think it is 100 year rule not school age unless person has died and record has been updated.

1576938543474.png

Last edited:
thanks jan...only reason i wondered is that i have found a lot of my rellies on the 39 register who were in their teens ie aged 14 and over and their names were not blacked.. out...also visible is my uncle dennis who was only 11 in 39...

lyn

As far as I know names should be visible if the person is dead or would be over 100 years if age. That said there are errors (my Dad's name is visible) and updates seem slow sInce reg was first published.

thanks jan yes i think there are many errors with the 39 register...bit hit and miss me thinks

lyn

There are two mentions of
Edward Poyser in the newspaper archives. The second is in response to the first. They are reproduced below, from April and October 1944. The address given is 93 Albert Road

Ev Despatch 20.4.1944.jpgEv. Despatch. 18.10.1944.jpg

how amazing mike no wonder we could not find edward on the 39 register...he was in india by the looks of it..i am sure nick will be delighted with the newspaper articles you have found

lyn

Thanks Mike. I hoped you (or someone) would be able to access the info.
Fascinating story and a photo of him as well.

Last edited:
Back