• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

In the 1950s a mother and daughter push their prams across Wordsworth Rd at the junction with Coventry Rd.
View attachment 139902

Today the buildings on the left still exist although somewhat changed.
View attachment 139903
Have a look round with street view
Many many more cars and lots of litter! Great photos...….

I love street view I can drive my pc over the roads that I rode by bike on all over Warwickshire Malverns you name it . Also S/V has walking ones also, I walked all through downtown Brum and the Museum great stuff lots of fun
I often use Streetview/Google Earth to look at places where I worked overseas.
Looked at Sanford NC where I spent many weeks and shocked to see large plants I worked in have been demolished.
Kanazawa in Japan, I'm still wandering around a complicated street layout trying to find places where I stayed.
Togliatti in Russia which was the USSR when I was there and now amazed that Google streetcam visited streets I knew.
For some reason streetview seems rather sparse in Germany and France.

As you say it is good fun ... :)

Thank you Jon.That picture as bought back so many good memory's. It's really appreciated again many thanks.All the vans had Staffordshire Registration like that one URF or LRF

Last edited:
In the 1950s a mother and daughter push their prams across Wordsworth Rd at the junction with Coventry Rd.
View attachment 139902

Today the buildings on the left still exist although somewhat changed.
View attachment 139903
Have a look round with street view
I occasionally have to drive along Coventry Road in Small Heath and parking discipline is usually suspect. But that particular 'parking spot' on the junction takes the biscuit.

I love street view I can drive my pc over the roads that I rode by bike on all over Warwickshire Malverns you name it . Also S/V has walking ones also, I walked all through downtown Brum and the Museum great stuff lots of fun
139903 Looks like Small heath park off the Cov Rd use to go on the paddle boats there

Loved the picture 139902 of the old Austin 3 Way Domestos van.Used to work on them as a mechanic for Marsh & Baxter in the 50 s
Austin 3 Way ?.
Thank you I have just spent some time looking up the history of the Austin 3 way.
I could hear the Austin works as I lay in bed at night, I walked past the factory in the way to school.
How I missed the 3 way I do not know a good looking van even a little before it's time with the aero frontal design.

They were so easy to work on.We had about 10 to maintain.They were called 3 way because they had 2 doors each side and the back doors.We had 60 vans and reps Morris minors to service every month as well as going out to punctures and such.But it was a good firm to work for,and the gaffer old Walter Marsh really appreciated the work you did to keep the vehicles on the road.

WW2 bomb damage in Smallbrook Street but the Sydenham Hotel on the corner of Pershore St/Edgbaston St looks undamaged.
View attachment 132966

A modern view from approximately a similar position but the corner where the Sydenham stood is behind the part of the building where the bus has stopped.
View attachment 132967
WW2 bomb damage in Smallbrook Street but the Sydenham Hotel on the corner of Pershore St/Edgbaston St looks undamaged.
View attachment 132966

A modern view from approximately a similar position but the corner where the Sydenham stood is behind the part of the building where the bus has stopped.
View attachment 132967

Back