• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

Then, as I remember it when I left Brum 1957 and NOW Gold leafed WHY??? Another example how Brum has changed PROGRESS????

I like the gold leaf look.

A few changes since 2013.

August 2013 - a month before the Library of Birmingham had opened. The 1974 - 2013 Birmingham Central Library would be demolished in Chamberlain Square during 2015 - 2016.

December 2019 - and three days before the Westside Metro extension was opened to Centenary Square. They are calling this tram stop Library. One and Two Chamberlain Square at Paradise Birmingham are practically complete. Pricewaterhouse Coopers will move into One Chamberlain Square soon.

View attachment 116885
Mary Street in Balsall Heath. I had cause to drive down here when taking pictures for the book and I was delighted to see those unusual balconies still in place.

The popularity of smoking in the 1950's in made clear by all the signs on the corner shop - Player's, Will's "Gold Flake" and "Three Castles" and Capstan.

Victoria got in touch to say that the shop next to the corner shop was run by a lady called Zelda. Then Maria was kind enough to provide this amusing story about another resident of the street:
"There used to be an Egyptian Dr called Dr Dearey, he had a very strange set up, what ever the ailment he always gave you an injection, my father like most of his patients would tip him and he took it. The larger the amount the better consultant you got to see if you needed to be reffered to the hospital for anything.

I always remember he had a skull on his desk with a cigarette hanging from his mouth and a plaque which read Poor old Fred died in bed. I kid you not, it was quite a scary thing for a child to look at. I'm sure he died in the 70s and his son took over the surgery. Not sure if he is still running it now though"
Photo by D J Norton, words by his son.
I live here now and no his son no longer runs it, in fact even the shops in this picture no longer exist, they are all terraced houses now

So, does anyone know the story behind gilding the statues? Were they originally supposed to be gilded when they were made but it didn’t get done, or were they done on the cheep with gold paint that went dull.

This might be of interest ... scroll down a bit in the website for the notes and pic ...
The larger-than-life size figures are in bronze, with a gold finish, on a pedestal of Portland stone and are depicted discussing engine plans. The piece is in a temporary position and was originally intended to stand outside a Planetarium, which was never built, but which would have stood outside what is now the Repertory Theatre.
quoted from the following ....

Last edited:
Hope they bring this sign out of storage in 2020 as well.

William Bloye's statue of three of Birmingham's most famous figures was commissioned in 1939 but was not installed in this location until 1956.

The statue was originally intended to form part of an ambitious new Civic Centre complex - the only parts of which were built were Baskerville House and the Hall of Memory in Centenary Square.

The bronze statue was originally gilded but this gradually faded over the years. It was regilded in 2006 to return it to it's original appearance.

Could have been installed outside of the never built Planetarium.

When it returns in 2020 near Symphony Hall (when the foyer rebuild is completed) it might be close to where they originally envisioned it to be. So 81 years late.

Best view of the future location of Boulton, Watt & Murdoch from the Library of Birmingham, Discovery Terrace. Or if you are brave from the Star Flyer at Ice Skate Birmingham.

Coat of arms on building on Bennetts Hill now and 70 years ago, when I and two other employees of William Bloye the Birmingham sculptor, we carved the coat of arms from a clay model we did in the studio

Attachments

• safe_image (5).jpg
    safe_image (5).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 26
  • 12034222_1143829038978282_6642894455585141859_o.jpg
    12034222_1143829038978282_6642894455585141859_o.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 26
Painting is not quite 200 years ago, as RBSA building not built till 1829, and I suspect some of the other buildings are also a bit later
Was not sure of the exact date, but knew it was 1800s Close but no cigar Eh!! Love the painting very Christmas time, any idea who did it?

This might be the closest modern snowy view to that painting.

18th January 2013 near Starbucks and Tesco Metro. That Thomson Airways travel shop is now Tim Horton's Coffee

This view is closer to the Town Hall.

I got the shot on my posting from Google street view today, the building on the left is the same but mine did not have any snow

Back