• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

Hello All. I am interested in locating any records or information about Hope Lodge in the late 1940s. I was born Nancy Jones at the Dudley Road hospital 8 December 1948. My mother and I were then sent to Hope Lodge. I was adopted from there in March 1949. I've since reunited with my birth mother and she told me a bit about her time at the home. I would love to find any photos of that time period. I'm curious to know how many babies there were at the time I was a resident, how many staff members, what it was like, etc. If anyone knows anything I would be very grateful. A previous post mentioned the Fostering services at Tamebridge and I will try there. I have been to the Birmingham library, but as was said earlier, they have few public records and any private ones (I believe there are daily reports and other records) are closed for 100 years. I'm not sure if that is 100 years from the date it opened, or 100 years from the date of the baby's birthday! I would dearly love to know what the first three months of my life were like! Thank you, Sylvia

My husband was born in Hope Lodge in 1944 his birth name was Graham Dean Peckover his mother lived in the Harborne area. He Was adopted in 1944. He has left it a long time to search. Does anyone recognise the name. Mother Mary Elizibeth.

Last edited:
Hi there.

Can't help you with photographs, but my mother was adopted from there in 1945. I have her original adoptioncertificate, with matron's departure report!. My mother passed away in 1985, and I have for many years been thinking about trying to find some information on her maternal mother, as I do have her name. Do you know where any records are kept?:)

Hi we applied for my husbands adoption files. The adoption society applied to the courts to open the files. We have received them today together with his original birth certificate and a lot of other details.

Thank you Brenda, this is interesting. I have my adoption proceedings record, which states that I was at Hope Lodge and the dates, but there is no information other than that about my first three months. My mother told me a few details of what her experience was like in 1948. She was kept in a separate room from me as interaction between mother and baby was discouraged except for feeding, which my mother was unable to do due to a medical condition. The mothers were given work, I believe and once a week had to attend a religious service (Church of England, I imagine) in which she said they were chastised and warned not to think of keeping the baby, but instead giving the baby up so it can have a good life with two parents. They were allowed out to shop and go to the pictures. My mother told me more than once she thought about taking me and running away, but knew this would not be the best thing for me. She told me at the time of my being chosen (and subsequently adopted), by my adoptive parents that one of the staff came into her room and said, "You can leave now, the baby's gone." She said she never got the chance to say goodbye to me. I don't think the mothers were badly treated, and I am sure they were given some kind of support and advice, but it must have been so very difficult for them. That time period (and earlier, as some of the previous posts talk about) were not likely to be easy times for single mothers. I hope this helps others know a little bit more. As said, Hope Lodge on Clarendon Road in Edgbaston is now Magdalene Court with apartments that sometimes come up for sale. I have visited the building which looks much nicer than it would have looked before, with nicely kept lawns. Occasionally I check the estate office photos online for a unit that is for sale, out of curiosity. Although they look very different, you can imagine mothers looking out of the same or similar windows and what it must have looked like inside then.

Hi Sylvia . Thank you for your reply. I have. Photo of Hope Lodge but don’t know how to post it on here. It’s very sad the way things were in those days.

Hi Brenda, I have some too of a recent visit to Clarendon Road. My adoptive mother used to say, whenever we passed that road, "You were born down there." I know it was a residence for unwed mothers, but don't know if it was also a maternity home. My records show I was born at the Dudley Road (City) hospital. My birth mother hated hospitals, I learned. It's no surprise why - especially as the old City hospital was - like many hospitals - converted from the workhouse buildings. Some people who had spent time in a workhouse would never go near a hospital. My birth mother was never in a workhouse but would certainly have been familiar with them and not enjoyed her experience there. Where do you live? I am living in the United States now. We'll have to find out how to post our pictures, but you can see the building online when they have flats for sale.

Hi Sylvia we live about 3 miles from Holy Lodge. I have a really old photo of the building and would love to post it. Are you on Facebook.?

I would love to see the photo Brenda. I am on Facebook but am not really a user of it. I mostly check it to see what family and friends are doing. My email address is: [email protected] if you could send it there. I only have pictures from a few years ago, but if you live there you will know what it looks like now. I am looking at this thread and underneath where you write your reply I see a link that says "attach files" - I wonder if that is how you attach a photo? If you would like to use my email, I would love to hear more about your husband's experience. Did he find his birth family? I learned that my mother gave me her middle name, which was also her mother's name!

Brenda
I am sure other forum members might be interested in seeing the photo. As Sylvia points out, if you have the photo on your computer, then click on "attach files" which will take you to the files on your computer, and then go to the relevant place where the photo is and click on it. this will attach the photo to your post

Hi Sylvia we live about 3 miles from Holy Lodge. I have a really old photo of the building and would love to post it. Are you on Facebook.?
The are step by step instructions for uploading photos in link below ... :)

Hello All. I am interested in locating any records or information about Hope Lodge in the late 1940s. I was born Nancy Jones at the Dudley Road hospital 8 December 1948. My mother and I were then sent to Hope Lodge. I was adopted from there in March 1949. I've since reunited with my birth mother and she told me a bit about her time at the home. I would love to find any photos of that time period. I'm curious to know how many babies there were at the time I was a resident, how many staff members, what it was like, etc. If anyone knows anything I would be very grateful. A previous post mentioned the Fostering services at Tamebridge and I will try there. I have been to the Birmingham library, but as was said earlier, they have few public records and any private ones (I believe there are daily reports and other records) are closed for 100 years. I'm not sure if that is 100 years from the date it opened, or 100 years from the date of the baby's birthday! I would dearly love to know what the first three months of my life were like! Thank you, Sylvia

Hope Lodge then and Now. It is no longer a nursing home . Like many large old buildings it has been converted into apartments.31E6A218-6230-4BF4-94C6-21BC020387C9.jpeg

Attachments

• 4E60AF78-6586-400A-8227-11C2A2D21537.jpeg
    4E60AF78-6586-400A-8227-11C2A2D21537.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 26
Hello Fellow B H F Members. I am a new boy having joined this morning and am after info re Hope Lodge please. I was born on 15th September, 1941, and was told I was born at Hope Lodge but now I have my doubts, were people actually born their? My birth was registered in the name...Malcolm Green...and 9 months later I was adopted and became Robin Andrew HOWLE and lived at the Maypole. If anyone can tell me please how I go about searching for my birthplace then please contact me. If needed I can give my email address...Regards...

Hi Malcom do you have your adoption paper work and birth sertificate. This should give you all the details you need. Yes it was a maternity home. My husband has recently gone through the same thing. To get your adoption papers is quite a long process. The papers tell you your mothers name where she lived her age etc.

Hi Brenda T,
Yes I have all my A Papers but not in very good condition and can't read anything about where I was born BUT you have answered my query, when you say it was a Maternity Home! I have a lot of details of my birth mother and father, I posted my details asking for help tracing them and a lady from Australia answered who used to be a Social Worker, did it all for me so I was lucky, she does it now as a hobby. Needless to say my B Parents are both deceased, as are my A Parents of course, I am 78 +. Now I am registered on this forum I shall keep in touch with it, I live in South Devon, have done for 55 years now but have an inkling to come back to Brum and live, the people are so much friendlier. Incidentally do you have details of any sort of society or association for adopted people, if so would you let me know please? Have just been on the internet and checked out 'Magdalen Court' where there are apartments for sale and to rent, very tempting! Best Regards and thanks for you help, Malcolm/Robin.

Back