• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eli Griffiths & Sons Ltd 102 Bradford Street Birmingham.

Can you help me ID this mast light?
Hi. I just put g. Bocock into search area as I was watching something about titanic and said to my husband I was working for g.bocock and co for many years in mott street I think some of there lamps were on the titanic. I didn’t expect to see the seashore company logo mentioned. Very old fashioned company director George bocock, I did him a milky coffee at 11am each day. They wore white over coats to go into the factory to check all the ships lighting being made. Lots of memory’s. prob by now as I’m 59yrd old they cannot be still alive. The son might. Martin bocock.

Hi I to have found an Eli Griffins &Sons lamp
The lamp is a starboard ships lantern. The problem is the
Lens is missing. Anyone know where I might get one please

John,

Welcome to the Forum. Any competent glass merchant should be able to make you one, providing it is not a lens. I've done a history of one of their smaller competitors here:- http://mscrete.com/genton.htm
and there were many small companies of a similar nature in Birmingham.

Maurice :cool:

I think my Starboard lamp, is a lens type. The lens is approx. 4 1/2" high x8 1/4", the lens is curved.
Straight across it it approx 61/4" but on the curve it measures 81/4".
Thanks for your help.

Hi. I just put g. Bocock into search area as I was watching something about titanic and said to my husband I was working for g.bocock and co for many years in mott street I think some of there lamps were on the titanic. I didn’t expect to see the seashore company logo mentioned. Very old fashioned company director George bocock, I did him a milky coffee at 11am each day. They wore white over coats to go into the factory to check all the ships lighting being made. Lots of memory’s. prob by now as I’m 59yrd old they cannot be still alive. The son might. Martin bocock.

Hi Tina,

My grandfather used to work for G Bocock from the 1950s to the 1970s, retiring just a few years before the company closed. You might remember him? He was the travelling salesman, Jack Rooney from Liverpool. He worked as the sole salesman for years until Martin Bocock started helping.

The company was a victim of Britain joining the EEC in 1973. Until then, the UK Board of Trade, who regulated shipping, insisted ships' lamps must be made of copper and brass. After 1973 we were forced to accept EEC regulations that allowed other materials to be used. Philips lamps (from the Netherlands) were made of plastic and considerably undercut the prices of lamps made from copper and brass, which not only lasted many years but were works of art to look at.

Tony

We have a Starboard Ships lamp complete with Blue Lens Paraffin Lamp like you in perfect condition. Has plate of Griffiths on top and address in good condition. Interested in History.
I used to live in Birmingham left in 2001 to N.Yokshire

Hi Tina,

My grandfather used to work for G Bocock from the 1950s to the 1970s, retiring just a few years before the company closed. You might remember him? He was the travelling salesman, Jack Rooney from Liverpool. He worked as the sole salesman for years until Martin Bocock started helping.

The company was a victim of Britain joining the EEC in 1973. Until then, the UK Board of Trade, who regulated shipping, insisted ships' lamps must be made of copper and brass. After 1973 we were forced to accept EEC regulations that allowed other materials to be used. Philips lamps (from the Netherlands) were made of plastic and considerably undercut the prices of lamps made from copper and brass, which not only lasted many years but were works of art to look at.

Tony
Hi I didn’t realise you had replyd. I don’t recall that gentleman. The 1 office had 4 females and other 4 males. The males did the selling females did accounts wages typing and so on. I recall rushing up the old wooden staircase in mott street there would me a mr fenn who would be looking at his watch I was not aloud to talk to the young girl in packaging she was my age as u were office she was not. And we had our own key to a private toilet while the others had different ones. But happy some happy memories. Some not. My switchboard had a direct line to another company genton and griffiths doing same work. But after hard times it all joined as one. I was young I never actually new what happened with it all. But seahorse signs were there Moto

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I didn’t realise you had replyd. I don’t recall that gentleman. The 1 office had 4 females and other 4 males. The males did the selling females did accounts wages typing and so on. I recall rushing up the old wooden staircase in mott street there would me a mr fenn who would be looking at his watch I was not aloud to talk to the young girl in packaging she was my age as u were office she was not. And we had our own key to a private toilet while the others had different ones. But happy some happy memories. Some not. My switchboard had a direct line to another company genton and griffiths doing same work. But after hard times it all joined as one. I was young I never actually new what happened with it all. But seahorse signs were there Moto
Thanks for your reply. My grandfather, Jack Rooney, was based in Liverpool and only rarely visited the office, I guess 2-3 times a year. His routine was to travel to a different area every Monday, returning on Friday. He would visit ships' and yacht chandlers in every port. In school holidays he would take my Nan and me with him. By the age of 16 I had visited most of Britain's ports. He covered the whole country until his 60s. Martin Bocock then took over the southern half while my Grandad covered the north, Scotland and Northern Ireland. He retired at 74.

Are you still in touch with anyone else from Bococks? I would love to get in touch with anyone who knew my grandfather.

Thanks for your reply. My grandfather, Jack Rooney, was based in Liverpool and only rarely visited the office, I guess 2-3 times a year. His routine was to travel to a different area every Monday, returning on Friday. He would visit ships' and yacht chandlers in every port. In school holidays he would take my Nan and me with him. By the age of 16 I had visited most of Britain's ports. He covered the whole country until his 60s. Martin Bocock then took over the southern half while my Grandad covered the north, Scotland and Northern Ireland. He retired at 74.

Are you still in touch with anyone else from Bococks? I would love to get in touch with anyone who knew my grandfather.
No I’m not all we’re old when I was there so most must be dead now. I’m 61. Best wishes

I have s rather old Starboard Blue lamp parrafin, its very old but want to know morw about it. The lamp is Blue its got brass plate on with E.L.I. Griffiths, 102 Bradford Street Birmingham on it and brass platw with Starboard. Want information on it age, type and possible value. Its parrafin

Attachments

• 20220919_150642.jpg
    20220919_150642.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220919_150649.jpg
    20220919_150649.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220919_150649.jpg
    20220919_150649.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220919_150655.jpg
    20220919_150655.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
I have s rather old Starboard Blue lamp parrafin, its very old but want to know morw about it. The lamp is Blue its got brass plate on with E.L.I. Griffiths, 102 Bradford Street Birmingham on it and brass platw with Starboard. Want information on it age, type and possible value. Its parrafin
That is quite old!

the red light indicates a vessel's port (left) side; the green indicates a vessel's starboard (right) side. Sternlight: This white light is seen only from behind or nearly behind the vessel. Masthead Light: This white light shines forward and to both sides and is required on all power-driven vessels wreck buoys have blue lights fitted.

Back