• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Eagle And Tun Pub

I read the article but it I could not find any agreement that the Black Country Museum would take it, even if the money could be found.

ahh i see pedro...well i cant speak for the black country museum but at the moment they are busy undergoing a massive new project to bring in a lot more of their own at risk buildings and rebuilding them at the museum so i doubt they would be interested in birminghams buildings..shame that the powers that be here could not have had the same idea when they had the chance

lyn

Well now I am upset this HS 2 deal may not be the best what I thought was the loss of a great old pub has turned into sad news budget over runs completion dates pushed way into the future.
Lies being told to a forum member when the money to Sava a pub is so small in the grand scheme of things.

Wouldn't having the pub inside the new station be cool a real shame.
I could have a pint before going to Crewe at 250 MPH on a train ? If I can afford a ticket in 2040

Last edited by a moderator:
I took this photo on Boxing Day of the Eagle & Tun from Banbury Street near New Canal Street.

Was also a hole in the window.

Noticed a lot of HS2 demolition sites all around.

Hope this is saved.

It reopened in 2016.

It was like this during March 2016.

The car park behind is now hoarded off.

According to Tripadvisor it was open until at least last month. But sadly it gets terrible reviews. Viv.

A very confusing picture emerges about the Eagle & Tun. The place does appear as part of the Curzon re-development but the Mail article suggests otherwise. I must admit if it is to be a part of the new HS2 Curzon development then it would have to close (4th. January, 2020 is mentioned) and be re-furbished. Broken windows and other less likeable features would have to be remedied, after all this area is designed to prestigious, and some 'old boozer' would not fit in well. Maybe the exterior will remain and some of the fixtures but upgraded it would have to be.
One thing I am not sure about is the Black Country Museum choice. If you are going to dismantle 'brick by brick' then somewhere in the city could be found and would be as good as anywhere. The BC Museum already has a pub. The Bottle & Glass and two other refreshment places besides the fish & chop shop. Somehow I doubt they would want more.

thinking about it again i dont see why the black country museum should save the eagle and tun...its not one of their buildings and they have been busy for almost 50 years saving their own history and are still doing so...just a shame birmingham did not have the same vision...just think what buildings we could have saved...

thinking about it again i dont see why the black country museum should save the eagle and tun...its not one of their buildings and they have been busy for almost 50 years saving their own history and are still doing so...just a shame birmingham did not have the same vision...just think what buildings we could have saved...
Indeed Lyn, it is not that the city did not have anywhere when you think of all the large former industrial and railway sites that have become housing estates and tin shed style business parks.

What about the Avoncroft Museum of Historic Buildings near Bromsgrove?

not sure but i think avoncroft have been mentioned ell they have one of our old prefabs..to be honest no one wanted to save the 17th century fox and grapes or the 16th century golden lion which still lies rotting in cannon hill park so i cant see much hope for the much later eagle and tun..

It's just become one more bit of Brum history that is about to disappear forever, which is a great shame. Even given the cost of removing it elsewhere - and that has not been forthcoming - it would not look the same in a museum or park setting. As you say, Lyn, the Golden Lion is just rotting away.....................

Maurice :cool:

When I see what has become of the city center with the loss and tower crane all over, I have to ask myself what chance does a old pub like the Eagle and Lion have

According to information on the Hs2 Curzon st station map, the Eagle and Tun pub will be incorporated into the new Hs2 station. No mention of demolition etc. Have things changed?

hello bob..have you read post 25?...there is a new link to click on and also the map on that post is an old one i was given by HS2 some years back when they assured me that the eagle and tun would be incorporated into the new station...load of rubbish of course which i did not believe for one second.. the eagle and tun closed its doors a few days ago and will soon be demolished...once again the people of birmingham who care about their historical buildings and have fought to save them have been sold down the river with false promises... :mad:

lyn

According to information on the Hs2 Curzon st station map, the Eagle and Tun pub will be incorporated into the new Hs2 station. No mention of demolition etc. Have things changed?
I mentioned this some posts ago Bob. But I did say that renovation, particularly the inside, would be required if it was to fit in with the prestigious plans for the area.

as i said earlier and shown on post 25 this pub closed a couple of days ago and awaits demo unless of course someone with a lot of money can afford to rebuild it brick by brick at another location and i really cant see that happening...so if anyone would like to grab a brick as a momento i have quite a few from various pubs (4 i think) that have been demolished keep your eyes on the site...

lyn

Or even better a glazed tile. Doubt if they will bother to try and preserve them

thanks ell that would be great...i would go myself but with my knees i think i should call it a day now for entering buildings...never say never though depends on the degree of difficultly getting in :grinning:

lyn

Think the Facebook group admin organised with the landlord a 3 hour slot. Although sounds like some people went last Saturday.

as i said earlier and shown on post 25 this pub closed a couple of days ago and awaits demo unless of course someone with a lot of money can afford to rebuild it brick by brick at another location and i really cant see that happening...so if anyone would like to grab a brick as a momento i have quite a few from various pubs (4 i think) that have been demolished keep your eyes on the site...

lyn
I fear that's a collection that could become a large one.

Got this view from the ramp down to Moor Street Queensway. I think the West Midlands Fire Service HQ on Vauxhall Road will need to be demolished for HS2. Depending on which way the line comes into Curzon Street.

Back