• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Welch, Sarah

daid rathgen

master brummie
Sara Welch was a Minor from Easy Row, Birmingham, "a publican's daughter" when she married Edwin Withers 5 Oct 1837 at St Thomas’ church. She gave her address at “Albion Street” and her father as William Welch. (MC Dec 1837 Vol 16 page 391, FreeBMD)
I have been unable to find a publican named Welch in Albion street. I did find a William Welch in 1839 Robson's Directory at 68 New St, who was an accountant and general commission agent. Under the heading Taverns, Inns, Hotels and Public Houses 1839 I could only find 'Windmill' in Spon Street with John Welch and a pub called 'Woodman' in Bishop Str with William Leigh.
Apart from those there is also a Sarah Welch born 1820 at Lichfield Staffordshire; but that seemed to be a fair way away from Birmingham.
Your assistance, as always, is appreciated.

In the 1841 and 1845 directories there is no public house in Albion St./so probably her father's establishment was not there

Addresses on marriage certificates were often false or temporary.

On the 1871 census Sarah's birthplace is listed as Lichfield so the birth you found seems probable.

It also appears that John Welch a possible brother of Sarah's, born in Lichfield was living in Aston in 1851, having married an Eliza Smith in 1848.

William Welch b1794 Rugeley, a provision dealer is living in Lower Temple Street in 1851 with wife Sarah, a son Henry and 3 others.

Sarah's birth is listed as Ashby and that ties in with the marriage in Longdon between William Welch and Sarah Cheatle, 24 Aug 1818. There is baptism for a Sarah Cheatle 27 Jan 1795 in Ashby de la Zouch.

In 1841 the family was also in Lower Temple St, listed as Walch. William's occupation is listed as cook shop. Apart from William, there is Sarah (wife), daughter Mary, son Henry, married daughter Ann (Buller), grandson Henry Buller and a servant.

Sara Welch was a Minor from Easy Row, Birmingham, "a publican's daughter" when she married Edwin Withers 5 Oct 1837 at St Thomas’ church. She gave her address at “Albion Street” and her father as William Welch. (MC Dec 1837 Vol 16 page 391, FreeBMD)

On the marriage cert Sarah's address is given as Easy Row it is Edwin who lived in Albion Street.

In 1835 there is a William Welch listed at the Red Lion 2 Bull Ring.
1850 a William Welch is at an "eating house" in Lower Temple Street,

Very much appreciate these helpful comments. Found Albion Street but not Easy Row. How close were they to each other? Thank you

In 1835 there is a William Welch listed at the Red Lion 2 Bull Ring.
1850 a William Welch is at an "eating house" in Lower Temple Street,
I am guessing the Red Lion is now no more, or is it the lost one from Church St, or from New Meeting Street?

Very much appreciate these helpful comments. Found Albion Street but not Easy Row. How close were they to each other? Thank you

easy row was off broad st city centre...long gone..albion st is in the jewellery quarter which is quite a distance away from where easy row was...useful map site below..you can go all over the country with it...i have left it showing where easy row was just move the blue dot along and the map will fade out to show what is there now

lyn

Back