• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtown

Great pictures by Spargone, couldn't resist a little clean up on my favourite...
Hard to know when to stop cleaning?

All of these photos were taken by my mum using a Canon Dial 35 camera. I think that was the only time that she used it. Previously she had taken a couple of photos each summer with her 8-exposure 'box Brownie' so she was no photographer.
The camera was purchased by my dad during a car testing trip to Kenya and subsequently mostly used by me or him. This camera changed the whole approach to photography for us, it was almost like being in the digital age as instead of only having eight shots to the roll this had 72 (and sometimes an extra couple if the processor was kind!). That did mean we could be quite free when it came to shooting.
candia35.jpg Camera halfframe.JPG Half-frame slide compared to modern penny.

However there are some down sides! First, we have a lot of slides, second, many are rubbish, three, being slides they are mounted in cardboard frames. That brings some more down sides. The slide is the original film, there is no negative and no spare prints. The cardboard frame uses a 'Prit'-like adhesive and hairs and paper fibres stick to the frame edges. The frame also provides a pocket that traps dirt, being half-frame the 'dirt trap' area around the edge is large compared to the film area. Another 'problem' is that the frame number data on the film itself is hidden, that can be quite useful when trying to put together a time sequence. (Not helped when it is obvious that slides have been returned to the wrong box).
The camera was quite easy to use, having a clockwork motor that wound on the film for you, and it took care of the exposure for you. Speed and focus were set manually, I am quite sure that mum never changed those deliberately.
Given the (surprising!) interest these slides have attracted maybe I should dig them out and give them some more attention and start using the scanner's capability properly. (The priority before was just to get all of the slides captured just so that I could see what we had). Maybe if they have historic value I should donate then to the city library? The work of 'Astoness' and 'Mikejee' would be invaluable here, (much appreciated!), for cataloguing, (still some locations to be identified).

Thank you all for the many 'appreciations' of what are in many ways just 'ordinary' family snaps. (The 'jam' on top would be for someone to recognise themselves!)

Last edited:
thanks for explaining all that spargone...now i know what those paper fibre marks are that we have seen before on slide photos...as regards donating them to the library of birmingham...it is the obvious place to lodge them but my advise would be to get as many as you can off the slides and keep them in a folder on your pc before handing them over...there is no maybe about them being of historical interest especially on the social history side ...every so often we get photos like this turn up and it really is a treat to see them...i know its time consuming but when time permits we would love to see more of these photos and just post any that you need help with locations we will do our best to help with that..as you say all we need now is for people to recognise anyone in the photos...that really would be super...

many thanks again...

lyn

I don,t see a launderette on the list,though i can,t for the life of me remember the name of it.

The newsagents shop on the corner next to harts is where I bought my first ever pair of tights I cannot remember what brand but I know the colour was American tan I was not allowed to where tights at school till the 3rd year at marsh hill girls school .I think it was around 1970 but we always used this newsagent in the 60s.

Opposite Harts before they knocked that side down there was a pub there I thought it was called the sportsmans inn but I cannot find any reference so I must of got the name wrong .Iwas certain there was a pub there as when I was young I use to go with my mum while she done some cleaning in there for them also I vaguely remember a chip shop somewhere along the same side as harts .Maybe someone might remember if they were there so I can see if my memories are correct.

so you are thinking there was a sportsman pub on newtown row sugar? off hand i cant be certain but i will try and find out for you

lyn

cant buy a cup of tea for that now though pete :rolleyes:
1.the news agents shop was it on the corner of miller.st?
2. was there a factory called perry pens on the opposite side of the rd... .Just past that was a cafe where we hung out.
anyone remembers them, or has pics. please........ My little grey cells are working over time now.

1.the news agents shop was it on the corner of miller.st?
2. was there a factory called perry pens on the opposite side of the rd... .Just past that was a cafe where we hung out.
anyone remembers them, or has pics. please........ My little grey cells are working over time now.
The picture that you sent down shows the newsagent on the corner of st Stevenson street with the spartan steel works on the other corner.

The picture that you sent down shows the newsagent on the corner of st Stevenson street with the spartan steel works on the other corner.
brilliant thanks.. i only remember a few... the drysalters, the bingo/cinema. i never went up that end much.

Lyn. it would be nice. to see pics of that end of n.t.r. thanks
[/QUOTE

pete its always and idea to use the search engine to see if we have threads you are after...to save you the trouble this time we do have a long thread covering newtown row/high st some good photos on it...here is the link but start reading from post 1

thought i would put this pic on. its taken in new john st west Newtown 1967. on the right you can just see the old houses are still up. maybe someone will recognize these three lads. wales
shame they have gone..have you stii got them lyn?

Well I would of dreaded playing football at that park it was all concrete ground only a couple of patches of grass but of course there was no mambie pambie safety rules them days also that big train that we all climbed there if anyone did fall off I'm sure they would of been badly hurt so I was one of the lucky ones that did not fall off.I also remember the small sweet shop on the corner of Ashford street it was only small I think it was one house turned into a shop it had a few steps up to the entrance and sold just sweets and frozen treats and drinks .

pete i think i still have that missing photo..will post it when i find it but have you seen my post 96 leading you to another thread?

lyn

Back