• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

I have at times used all of those buses, the 29 terminated at Kingstanding circle, 29A at Pheasey Estate, 33 at Finchley Road/Kings Road, 28 at Hawthorn Road (when I were a lad), later extended on through to Aldridge Road.

As a youngster I also used all of those buses and when I was very young I was taken on a 33 which was towing a 'producer gas and coke' trailer. It struggled up the hill to Greenholm Road were we caught it, made it's way to just past Goodway Road, but then came to a halt by the drill hall and could not make it up the hill to Hawthorn Road.

Remember that incline (and others) along Kingstanding Road in the snow. They often had trouble getting up the hill. You always had to be prepared to get off and walk. Viv.

My Sisters Brenda and Gertrude and I lived with my Mother and Father at 106 Atlantic road, next to our house there was some waste land known as the dip opposite the Dip there was a right of way through to Kingstanding Road, this was a short cut To and from Cranborne road school and the 29 bus stop for people who lived in Birdbrook Rd Rodlington Ave and the back of the houses on one side of Corbridge ave ( I think that was the name , its been a long time ago since I was in that aria. Al.
Looking at a earlier post of yours I believe your Sister Brenda was a friend of my late Sister Jean when they were teenagers .regards Diane

Hi Diane, I do remember one of my Sisters friends by the name of Jean Perks or something like that, would that have been your sister? Al.

Had a breakthrough on this today, I’ve now found the name of the nursery: Grasmere Nurseries. Seems they sold a lot of shrubs, just as I remember in the 1950s/60s. They seem to have opened on a Sunday. I have a very vague memory of going there on a Sunday morning followed by Sunday School at the Settlement, then home for Sunday lunch.

In the 1940s they seem to have bought up lots of turf. Maybe this is when the gardening/home improvement movement got going.

The first advert is from 1965, the second two from 1948.

Viv.

I bilevel the land behind that nursery was part of the old Ryans farm he was the brother of Miss Ryan who that had the post office and paper shop, further along on the opposite side of the road near the Hare and Hounds Pub there were several cottages either side of the P.O. me and my sister used to deliver newspapers from the paper shop.
I have a photo of the cottages somewhere but cant put my finger on it at present

Yep Eric, I also remember the pigs and the sties, also the sheds behind the shop, some with farm machinery in them.
My paper round was from the shop along the kingstanding road to Hotspure road then back upto Harringay road and then Stretham grove. Thursdays the big day with all the magazines. Al.

Looking at a earlier post of yours I believe your Sister Brenda was a friend of my late Sister Jean when they were teenagers .regards Diane
Hi Diane
I spoke to my sister Brenda on the phone yesterday and she came up with lots of information, One she was a very close friend of your sister Jean, in fact they went to Switzerland together and by all accounts had quite a ball, she also remembers you and your Mother very well also that your family lived next door but one to her husband's family. Mick and Brenda now live in Great Barr.
You would probably know that Mick's two brothers (I cant remember there names) have both passed away.
she has asked me to pass on her regards.

As reported elsewhere on BHF the trials were a government attempt to save fuel but a total failure.
Hi,
I also remember the Gas trailers the buses towed also that some cars had large gas bag on there roof, I don't know how that came about unless they were government vehicles as I think petrol was strictly rationed at that time and was also coloured, White for private cars and red for commercial vehicles.

Yes, I'm afraid he passed away just over 3 years ago after a period of ill health.
I used to visit Harry and Joan his parents with my father many times and remember the house well.

I attach a picture of Don and his wife Margaret from the late 70's I think. He had two sons.

Attachments

• e77e0952-1737-4867-aa0d-8d31bfc90bc5.jpg
    e77e0952-1737-4867-aa0d-8d31bfc90bc5.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 33
Yes of course, on Thursdays my magazine would arrive (Atlantic Road). Completely forgotten that Trident. But yes it was Thursdays ! When I was quite young Harold Hare was delivered, then Look and Learn and later Judy. That’s a blast from the past for me. Used to get very excited at the arrival of the magazines through the letter box. Viv.

Back