• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mount Pleasant, Balsall Heath Road

No, but are you one of the children that used to tease my guard dog at the top of the road about 1971?

No, but are you one of the children that used to tease my guard dog at the top of the road about 1971?
No I was NOT, I either walked on my own or my father picked me up/dropped me at school on his motorbike. I wouldn't even of thought of doing that. I loved school and was not a trouble maker, although once two girls decided to follow me up the road trying to get me to fight by trying to kick me, I kept on walking, perhaps they were your girls ?

Sheila,

I have to say that we had nothing but trouble with the schoolchildren from that school. Every night when school closed I had to close the gates as they stood and teased the dog because I used to chain him up and close the gates when school finished. I even wrote to the head mistress complaining and warning her of the danger of what was going on. She wasn't interested and more or less said so. So I cured it myself and used to open the gates and let him off the lead. He was too well trained to go outside the yard no matter what (unless told to). So he just sat there and watched them all go past. It's amazing how quiet they could be when they wanted to be.

Sheila,

I have to say that we had nothing but trouble with the schoolchildren from that school. Every night when school closed I had to close the gates as they stood and teased the dog because I used to chain him up and close the gates when school finished. I even wrote to the head mistress complaining and warning her of the danger of what was going on. She wasn't interested and more or less said so. So I cured it myself and used to open the gates and let him off the lead. He was too well trained to go outside the yard no matter what (unless told to). So he just sat there and watched them all go past. It's amazing how quiet they could be when they wanted to be.

Well I can honestly say that I do not remember seeing a dog on my way to or from school neither do I remember seeing any trouble makers. As soon as school finished I was on my way home fast. My family then and now love
Animals when my 3 children were young they were bought up to respect animals. So please don't think I was teasing your dog. I hope who ever did are being teased themselves.

Sheila

It was never a serious enquiry concerning yourself, but it was nevertheless true what I wrote. Our yard was at the top of Balsall Heath Rd and the previous tenants were Fahey & Joyner GPO Contractors. The owner was Morris Goldstein the tailor on the corner. A good tailor who made me many a suit over the years.

I was one of the first lot of pupils to start the school I started in miss fursiers class in the first year and then to mrs hlinka until i left. It seemed massive and scary at first but i grew to love it. names i remember are kokila gina adrian lane wells robert trotter .

marina

QUOTE=Sheila Eastwood;457085]did anyone go to mount pleasant between 1967 - 1974 ?[/QUOTE]
i was one of the first lot of pupils to go to this schhol i loved it once i got used to it my first form teacher was miss fursier and after that mrs hlinka who used to teach artr

Hi Sheila

I went to Mount Pleasant from 67 to 70 i was in Mr Wells class (the Music Teacher Room 48 ), some name I remember are Paul Smith(I see Paul sometimes his wife is Paula Smith the Councilor for Hall Green ward), Paul Allen, John Crump, Kath Keene, Pat Bird, Carol Burke. The school was demolised a couple of years ago.

Bill

My younger sisters, Rosie and Ellen Dowling went there from the first year and the year after it opened, I started there in about 1969 after being expelled from hole grammar for fighting and absence.......I was often picked on so I fought or did not attend the grammar school........on my first day I met Antonio D' Ambrosio, and after a quick face to face before class started, he became a good friend.....mr phelps was my class teacher.......

QUOTE=Sheila Eastwood;457085]did anyone go to mount pleasant between 1967 - 1974 ?
i was one of the first lot of pupils to go to this schhol i loved it once i got used to it my first form teacher was miss fursier and after that mrs hlinka who used to teach artr
[/QUOTE]
My aunt did her name was heather Barrett

Back