• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tenpin bowling

Not living in Birmingham at the time...I got obsessed with 10 pin bowling around 1962. Was a member of the BTBA and played in several leagues. Our team would travel around the country challenging teams, nothing serious though. We did go to Brum, I recall the Stirchley Bowl, maybe because I was in top form there. I still have achievement badges from Stirchley Bowl. I also recall a bowling alley at the bottom of Hurst st, it was upstairs...
Dave A
Do I recall this correctly Stirchley Bowl was also a moving picture house ?
I recall my folks in a bowling league there and even going myself with friends to play, renting those cream and cherry red shoes.

Thanks, Elmdonboy. I'm surprised, to be honest, but good to know that tenpin is still alive. I'd love another go, but I don't think my old knees are up to it any more.

G

I used to really enjoy tenpin, played every Friday after work at the Stirchley Bowl. Later at the one down the Hagley Road, forget what it was called, but it seemed to be where the real whiz-kids played. I did get quite good at one time, but haven't played for 40 years, since we lived in the USA. I remember I used a 14lb ball. Are there any tenpin alleys still in Brum?

G

hi G i am sure there must be one or two allys dotted around brum...i tried it a couple of times years ago but the problem i had was remembering to swing and let go of the ball :D :D

Last edited:
Great bowling action in Photo 1, Lyn, but what happened in Photo 2? It hurts, doesn't it....? How do I know? Need you ask......

Slightly off-thread, I tried indoor short-mat bowling a few years ago, partly because my employer actually made the mats and as their sales-manager it was felt I should have hands-on knowledge. Obviously a much less dramatic and physical game than tenpin, but pleasant and also not at all easy.

G

Great bowling action in Photo 1, Lyn, but what happened in Photo 2? It hurts, doesn't it....? How do I know? Need you ask......

Slightly off-thread, I tried indoor short-mat bowling a few years ago, partly because my employer actually made the mats and as their sales-manager it was felt I should have hands-on knowledge. Obviously a much less dramatic and physical game than tenpin, but pleasant and also not at all easy.

G
Any chance of a discount!

It's strange how the memory works, I just remembered how intreaged I was with the machine that cleaned the bowling balls it had a clear top and you watch it work and it was free !!!

Back