• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtown shopping centre

many thanks to sylviasayers who has sent me through the post about 18 photos of the shopping centre taken possibly in the late 80s early 90s.... most shops are closed down ready for demo but they are still of interest to those of us who knew the shopping centre...i will scan them and post them on this thread asap...thanks again sylvia you are a star :)

lyn

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: ade
ok folks here we go....these photos will not have been seen before...as always we have no objections to them being posted on other networks which no doubt they will be.... all we ask is if you do please credit the birmingham history forum as your source...thank you im sure they will bring back memories to some of you..they do to to me..thanks again sylvia...

lynimg379.jpgimg380.jpgimg381.jpgimg382.jpg

My play ground when it was being built....The Paddock was our headquarters....I can recall walking in there with a few friends one night probably around this time of year in 1967 just after the builder had concerted the floor....I bet he wasn't very happy next day....we were probably called vandals, we didn't mean to cause any damaged on purpose....

My play ground when it was being built....The Paddock was our headquarters....I can recall walking in there with a few friends one night probably around this time of year in 1967 just after the builder had concerted the floor....I bet he wasn't very happy next day....we were probably called vandals, we didn't mean to cause any damaged on purpose....

just kids being kids john...... :)

lyn

Yes The Paddock good old pub I moved to Selston Rd in 1976 , The gaffer of the Paddock at the time was good old Dick Patterson , shortly after he brought Tommy Swords in to run it for him who I think ended up owning it . If I ever went into the Barton Arms when Tommy was on his tea break as he called it He always bought me or anyone else that used the Paddock a drink . Thinking back wonderful days indeed ..... Thank You Lyn and thank you Sylvia how's Ray nowadays ?

thanks for that pedro...i found that very interesting..of course all that precinct refered to in the article has gone now to be replaced by the one thats there now...my sister had a stall in the old round market in its hey day..was a nice place to shop...

lyn

Does anyone remember the stall in the round market called " fiona crock shop. " love to know what happened to them.

Does anyone remember the stall in the round market called " fiona crock shop. " love to know what happened to them.

hi shaun and welcome...my sister had the sweet stall in the round market so i will ask her if she remembers the crock shop

lyn

Shaun I remember the remember the record shop also the butcher shop one of the partners being John Shakespeare . I'm sure seeing a photo would jog the grey matter

Does anyone remember when Arthur Askey opened The Bandwagon? Other shops i remember vaguely were Halfords, Oswald Bailey, Pat,s Cafe, Dewhurst,The Pet Shop ,Fruit A Shoemenders, and when the Precinct first opened their was a shop by Sainsburys that used to sell cooked chickens they were on a rotisserie outside and you could smell them as soon as you entered the Precinct. The Hairdresser,s above Dillons is where i had The feather Cut which i quite liked but had a disasterous perm done in The Market.
yes i was with the owner of the Bandwagon Harry Hewston when Arthur Askey opened it however 2 years later after alterations Barbra Windsor opened it as Arthur Askey was in hospital Sadly today 11 December 2020 Barbara sadly has died

yes i was with the owner of the Bandwagon Harry Hewston when Arthur Askey opened it however 2 years later after alterations Barbra Windsor opened it as Arthur Askey was in hospital Sadly today 11 December 2020 Barbara sadly has died

Welcome Mike I hope you enjoy the forum , yes I remember both occasion's . I also remember those shops you mention as I lived in Selston Road for twenty years . Wasn't the hairdressers Burberrys , I only used those for my hair , good old days

I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF ITS STILL THERE. I USED TO WORK FOR WILLIAMS FURNITURE MANY YEARS AGO AND WE HAD A BRANCH IN THE CENTRE OTHER NAMES COME TO MIND HARDY'S FURNITURE , RUMBLELOWS , BURTONS , THERE WAS BIG SUPERMARKET AND ALSO A BIG OUTDOOR LEISURE AND CAMPING SHOP. A FISH AND CHIP SHOP THE POST OFFICE , SEVERAL BANKS AND TWO PUBS ONE ANSELLS ONE M&B .I THINK THE GRAPES WAS ONE ?? IN THE CENTRE WAS THE MARKET HALL UNDER COVER. IF I AM CORRECT A SECURITY GUARD WAS MURDERED TRYING TO STOP A ROBBERY THERE BUT I MAY BE WRONG. IN THE MIDDLE OF IT ALL WAS A TALL BLOCK OF FLATS I AM GOING BACK 30 PLUS YEARS SO THINGS MAY NOW BE DIFFERENT NOW.
JOHN
Hi I started work there in 1966 at Walter Smiths butchers opposite Dewhursts. Happy days. Now live in Australia

hi folks does anyone have any photos of newtown shopping centre from the early 80,s and can anyone remember burberrys hairdressers in newtown shopping centre from the early 80,s ? cheers

Back