• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Temperance

Anyone who's read 'Tom Brown's Schooldays' will recall that the boys were given weak beer to drink in preference to (possibly contaminated) water.

One of the oddest things I recall from when I was a nipper was an 'outdoor' (off-licence) in Witton, run by an elderly couple. Usually the old man served, but occasionally his wife did, and whatever alcoholic beverage was bought she would advise us along the lines that 'temperance is next to Godliness'. Not that I bought booze when I was a kid (made up for it since, though) but I'd sometimes go and help my dad bring back the drinks if we had a party, or at Christmas.

Somewhere here I have my mother's 'Temperance Certificates' from when she was at primary school - Canterbury Road if I remember correctly. She hardly ever drank alcohol, and even a few sips of wine of Christmas sent her 'into a tizzy', as she'd have said.

Cheers!

G

In the wider sense Temperance could also mean moderation in the indulgence of the "natural appetites and passions." In their pursuance of "Welfare capitalism" the Cadbury family would ally themselves to various voluntary and municipal agencies. Here is one called the Birmingham and Midland Counties Vigilance Association which, from 1888, had sought to repress ‘Criminal Vice and Public Immorality’, with the aim of engendering ‘social purity’.

In the previous annual meeting one speaker suggested that a society similar to the Snowdrop Band should be formed for boys with some such name as the "Life Guards."

3E12004F-D2E5-4F88-99F5-D16EE0D62850.jpeg

In the wider sense Temperance could also mean moderation in the indulgence of the "natural appetites and passions." In their pursuance of "Welfare capitalism" the Cadbury family would ally themselves to various voluntary and municipal agencies. Here is one called the Birmingham and Midland Counties Vigilance Association which, from 1888, had sought to repress ‘Criminal Vice and Public Immorality’, with the aim of engendering ‘social purity’.

In the previous annual meeting one speaker suggested that a society similar to the Snowdrop Band should be formed for boys with some such name as the "Life Guards."

View attachment 138687

Well Pedrocut if you looked at Richard Tapper Cadbury he certainly never practiced Temperance of natural appetites and passions 11 children prove that

Well Pedrocut if you looked at Richard Tapper Cadbury he certainly never practiced Temperance of natural appetites and passions 11 children prove that

There are numerous members of the Cadbury family, and around the time of old Tapper the "family" were lamenting the fall in the birth rate. Of course he might argue that he is doing his bit to redress the balance, but others think otherwise.

The Birmingham Library’s Iron Room article on Temperanc...

Back