• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Cinema Managers

Chris B

master brummie
Managers edited.jpg

A Photo thought to have been taken around Christmas 1938, venue could be The West End Cinema. Some of the people are Managers of Birmingham Cinemas, and some are believed to work for Trade suppliers. If anyone knows any of the people with no name and can fill in the blanks please do.

Back Row Left to Right
1. Charles Baker
2. Dick Freeman (Manager Solihull Cinema)
3. ?
4. ?
5. David Ludlow
6. Charles Aston (Manager Sheldon Cinema)
7. ?
8. ?

Centre Row Left to Right
1. J.H. Rogers (Bristol Cinema / Victoria Playhouse Group)
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. Fred Hood (Rock Cinema Alum Rock)
6. Bill Webb (CInema Equipment Supplier)
7. ?
8. Jack Hodge (Era Cinema Bordesley Green)
9. ?
10. Frank Riego (Plaza Stockland Green)
11. ?
12. ?
13.?
14. Len Melsom ?
15. Chum Stanford (Coronet Small Heath)

Seated Left to Right
1. Henry Cornforth (Scala / Futurist)
2. Arthur Dowding (Kingston Small Heath )
3. Alf May (Bristol / Warwick Cinema)
4. Frank Cozens (Grand Cinema Alum Rock)
5. Bill Hodge (Northfield Cinema)
6. Bernard Muggleton (Hon Sec B'Ham & Midland Branch C.E.A.)
7. Bertie Bull (Kings Norton ?)

Last edited:
smashing photo chris...not see it before..sorry i cant help fill in any names but maybe other members can help

lyn

Im so curious. How do you know the names? My great grandfather was Bertie Bull. I never knew him of course but the gentleman on the far right does look a lot like my grandfather.

Hi Julia, I only knew a few of the names personally, for instance I worked for Charlie Aston, and Mr Stanford, I used to go to the Grand kids matinee when Frank Cozens was Manager, the other names were filled in for me by Mr Clarke who owned the Victoria Playhouse Group of Cinemas and he was also Chairman of the Midlands Branch of the C.E,A. so he knew a lot of the people in the trade

View attachment 113241

A Photo thought to have been taken around Christmas 1938, venue could be The West End Cinema. Some of the people are Managers of Birmingham Cinemas, and some are believed to work for Trade suppliers. If anyone knows any of the people with no name and can fill in the blanks please do.

Back Row Left to Right
1. Charles Baker
2. Dick Freeman (Manager Solihull Cinema)
3. ?
4. ?
5. David Ludlow
6. Charles Aston (Manager Sheldon Cinema)
7. ?
8. ?

Centre Row Left to Right
1. J.H. Rogers (Bristol Cinema / Victoria Playhouse Group)
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. Fred Hood (Rock Cinema Alum Rock)
6. Bill Webb (CInema Equipment Supplier)
7. ?
8. Jack Hodge (Era Cinema Bordesley Green)
9. ?
10. Frank Riego (Plaza Stockland Green)
11. ?
12. ?
13.?
14. Len Melsom ?
15. Chum Stanford (Coronet Small Heath)

Seated Left to Right
1. Henry Cornforth (Scala / Futurist)
2. Arthur Dowding (Kingston Small Heath )
3. Alf May (Bristol / Warwick Cinema)
4. Frank Cozens (Grand Cinema Alum Rock)
5. Bill Hodge (Northfield Cinema)
6. Bernard Muggleton (Hon Sec B'Ham & Midland Branch C.E.A.)
7. Bertie Bull (Kings Norton ?)
I recently posted this picture in the Grand Hotel thread but as I believe the party goers are members of the 1930's cinema trade in Birmingham I thought it was worth a second outing. My late mother in law who worked for Mr Rogers in the Victoria Playhouse group is in the picture as a very young lady. I also remember her mentioning Mr May.
img069 (2).jpg

I recently posted this picture in the Grand Hotel thread but as I believe the party goers are members of the 1930's cinema trade in Birmingham I thought it was worth a second outing. My late mother in law who worked for Mr Rogers in the Victoria Playhouse group is in the picture as a very young lady. I also remember her mentioning Mr May.
View attachment 138641
I can spot a young Alf May and Albert Rogers but that is about all.

yes it was, I used to go there with my Grandad to see Disneys Cinderella and for the Saturday Matinees, the other side of the shop on the left was a semi covered queuing area where we all waited for 2pm opening. I had to behave myself because my Mother knew the head Usherette

Back