• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Street Hockley

Carolina

Found the following in the Baptism record for All Saints Hockley if you are interested/.

Dec 31 1899 - baptism of Arthur Henry Hudson, born 8/12/1899 son of Arthur William and Rosa Hudson - of 19 Lodge Road. Occupation Butcher.
Lily-Mae - Yes I remember his shop on The Flat and Mrs Hudson had a little shop there also. Their son John went to All Saints School

I had direct family also Hudson who lived in heaton street. Not some across a farm street connection yet. 1898-1920 ish. Also Barr street where my grandmother lived with her family.
I had Smiths at 145 Farm Street about 1926, my uncle Howard Reeves remember visiting his grandmother there when he was very small.

Apologies if this photograph is already on the forum (I have searched the Farm St thread and could not find it) but I think it is worth posting:

Villa Street - Farm Street Hockley Birmingham - The White Swan 1964

The White Swan_Villa Street - Farm Street Hockley 1964.jpg

hi BB very good chance i posted this one on the villa st thread but no matter as it needed to be on this thread anyway and it is better to have them twice than not all all so thanks...ps the bucket and ladders you see in the photo are most likely our dads and again most likely he was inside the white swan having a pint :D

lyn

hi BB very good chance i posted this one on the villa st thread but no matter as it needed to be on this thread anyway and it is better to have them twice than not all all so thanks...ps the bucket and ladders you see in the photo are most likely our dads and again most likely he was inside the white swan having a pint :D

lyn
Crikey Lyn, I didn't notice the ladders on the right!

Apologies if this photograph is already on the forum (I have searched the Farm St thread and could not find it) but I think it is worth posting:

Villa Street - Farm Street Hockley Birmingham - The White Swan 1964

View attachment 138496
I've never seen this photo of the White Swan before. It was the local of my uncle, Stan Wheeler, who live almost opposite in Farm St (5/56 up an entry). Does anyone remember a small grocery shop, again almost opposite in Farm St, run by two ladies known as the 'Grindrods' ?

I've never seen this photo of the White Swan before. It was the local of my uncle, Stan Wheeler, who live almost opposite in Farm St (5/56 up an entry). Does anyone remember a small grocery shop, again almost opposite in Farm St, run by two ladies known as the 'Grindrods' ?
hi my wife Pauline greening used to live at no 55 and remembers playing with two lads named wheeler one of which was called tuppence her house was next to grind rods shop

hi my wife Pauline greening used to live at no 55 and remembers playing with two lads named wheeler one of which was called tuppence her house was next to grind rods shop

Hi m j,
That's quite incredible. The two lads you refer to are Raymond and Graham Wheeler - my cousins ! Graham was nicknamed "tuppence" although I can't remember why. Ray was exactly the same age as me give a month, and Graham was the same age as my younger brother Derek, who was two years younger than me.
We lived just around the corner in Bridge St West next to St Saviours Church and we played together all the time, sometimes having sleep overs at each others houses.
When I was 8, our family moved to Northfield but both our families used to meet up as often as possible. Raymond and Graham and their parents Stan and Elsie stayed in the area and moved into a new tower block called I think 'Rea Tower'. All the old houses were demolished around 1964/65 and eventually everyone was rehoused in other new tower blocks and houses.
Sadly, Graham - tuppence - died a few years ago at the age of about 65. He is survived by his wife and two grown up daughters.

Hi all, I know that it has been a little while since anything was posted on this forum but I wanted to make an enquiry with those of you who lived in Farm Street between 1955 and 1965. Are any of you aware of, or remember, Tony and Peggy who I believe ran a Café on Farm Street itself?

If anyone has any information about this I would really appreciate you getting in touch with me privately or replying to the thread. Many thanks.

Carolina

Found the following in the Baptism record for All Saints Hockley if you are interested/.

Dec 31 1899 - baptism of Arthur Henry Hudson, born 8/12/1899 son of Arthur William and Rosa Hudson - of 19 Lodge Road. Occupation Butcher.

My name is William Hudson and I live in Austin, Texas. I am related to the Hudsons, butchers of Lodge Road. Their pedigree looks like this:

John William HUDSON ( b. 1946), m. Margaret Clements > Arthur Henry HUDSON (b. 1899), m. Lilian HACKETT > Arthur William HUDSON (b. 1867), m. Rose Lydia WILKINS and then on back to the Hudsons of Birdingbury, near Leamington Hastings.

Back when I was doing our genealogy in the 1970s, I was able to talk to Lilian Hudson (née Hacket). I understand that John and Margaret had a daughter, Lynn, born in 1968. I would love to get in touch with both John, if he is still around, and with Lynn.

Naturally, if you are not comfortable sharing their contact info. then at least you could pass my email on to them: [email protected]

My name is William Hudson and I live in Austin, Texas. I am related to the Hudsons, butchers of Lodge Road. Their pedigree looks like this:

John William HUDSON ( b. 1946), m. Margaret Clements > Arthur Henry HUDSON (b. 1899), m. Lilian HACKETT > Arthur William HUDSON (b. 1867), m. Rose Lydia WILKINS and then on back to the Hudsons of Birdingbury, near Leamington Hastings.

Back when I was doing our genealogy in the 1970s, I was able to talk to Lilian Hudson (née Hacket). I understand that John and Margaret had a daughter, Lynn, born in 1968. I would love to get in touch with both John, if he is still around, and with Lynn.

Naturally, if you are not comfortable sharing their contact info. then at least you could pass my email on to them: [email protected]
Sorry I cant help as I havent had any contact with John for many years. I know that Lynn married someone called Yeomans if thats any help.

Last edited:

hi if you are interested we have a thread for lodge road with a few photos on it...hudsons the butchers is mentioned...click on link below

lyn

hi if you are interested we have a thread for lodge road with a few photos on it...hudsons the butchers is mentioned...click on link below

lyn

Thanks again.

Hi. New to the forum and I've found it really interesting to read about a street that has lost so much of its original character. I know that my Great Great Great Grandparents were among the first proprietors of the Queen's Head, 381 Farm Street. William Watson (born 1821, by trade an electro-plater/ Silversmith) and his wife Mary Ann nee Linforth, (1823-1858). At the time they ran the place, it was called the "Castle Inn". I know that they were there on the 1851 census and until 1858 - by 1861 Thomas and Elizabeth Mountford were in charge and had re-named it the "Queen's Arms" - her Head must have taken over later.

Does anybody remember drinking at the pub? What was it like inside? What sort of pub was it? I've been trying to imagine it!
They had one son, William Henry Watson, born in 1842 in Clerkenwell - died 1909 (I don't think they lived in London for long). He married a Farm Street girl - Mary Ann Lichfield, daughter of Charles Lichfield and Mary nee Evans - a pork butcher. The Lichfields were at Number 28 in 1851, Number 395 in 1861 and moved around the corner to 232 Bridge Street West by 1871.
What sorts of houses were those? Hope you don't mind all the questions - I've been fascinated to discover that William Henry and Mary Ann Lichfield lived so close to each other growing up!

Hi. New to the forum and I've found it really interesting to read about a street that has lost so much of its original character. I know that my Great Great Great Grandparents were among the first proprietors of the Queen's Head, 381 Farm Street. William Watson (born 1821, by trade an electro-plater/ Silversmith) and his wife Mary Ann nee Linforth, (1823-1858). At the time they ran the place, it was called the "Castle Inn". I know that they were there on the 1851 census and until 1858 - by 1861 Thomas and Elizabeth Mountford were in charge and had re-named it the "Queen's Arms" - her Head must have taken over later.

Does anybody remember drinking at the pub? What was it like inside? What sort of pub was it? I've been trying to imagine it!
They had one son, William Henry Watson, born in 1842 in Clerkenwell - died 1909 (I don't think they lived in London for long). He married a Farm Street girl - Mary Ann Lichfield, daughter of Charles Lichfield and Mary nee Evans - a pork butcher. The Lichfields were at Number 28 in 1851, Number 395 in 1861 and moved around the corner to 232 Bridge Street West by 1871.
What sorts of houses were those? Hope you don't mind all the questions - I've been fascinated to discover that William Henry and Mary Ann Lichfield lived so close to each other growing up!
hi and welcome...sadly this pub has been closed for some time now but at least its still standing...it was my gt nans local and also my nans...most of my family have drank in there the last time i was in was about 4 years ago but over the past 10 years its had so many changes of landlords...lovely old typical back street pub probably built about 1850 but that would need checking..there are old photos of the queens head on the forum and also if you put bridge street west into the search box we have a thread for this street with loads of pre demo photos...i will ask our pub expert to take a look at your post as he is always interested in people who had rellies who ran pubs

lyn

Back