• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Just Outside Birmingham by Post Card.

In 1965 I worked for Harris of Calne .Used to deliver to Wrensons in the High St every Tues & Thurs cooked meats.

When the High Street looked like that my dad used to take us to the Manor House on Sundays where the Presbyterian Church held services in the large upper room. He was inducted as an elder there in 1957. The minister was Rev. Ferrie, followed by Rev. Mercer. The church seemed to be a natural home for exiled Scots. They moved out when St. Ninians was built on Caldwell Grove, now demolished and replaced by a Coptic Cathedral, presumably a home for another exiled community?

Turning around from the views in post#329 we would see those below.
Solihull High Street in the 1950s. On the left by the black Austin car is a pole standing in a decorated bucket. On the top of the pole I think I can see 'E R' so maybe the photo was taken in early 1953. Buildings on the left are still there today.
1950sSolihull.jpg

And Google also turned round to get a modern view. The buildings used by Maplins (partially behind the trees) are seen in the 1950s pic.
SolihullHighSt.jpg

Solihull High Street in the 1950s. On the left by the black Austin car is a pole standing in a decorated bucket. On the top of the pole I think I can see 'E R' so maybe the photo was taken in early 1953. Buildings on the left are still there today.
View attachment 138486

And Google also turned round to get a modern view. The buildings used by Maplins (partially behind the trees) are seen in the 1950s pic.
View attachment 138487
Old buildings still look very good!

According to Birmingham Mail it was taken in 1954. The 'ER' pole is perhaps a coronation 'left-over'.

Seems a long time to leave a coronation decoration in place but who knows.
Someone is selling the pic on ebay for £3.25 ... :)

This is probably the reason:
Still inclined to think it is coronation related because of the 'ER'. The 'Princess Margaret' flag poles have crossbars and two flags. The High Street pole looks quite sparse and as if pre or post-coronation.

A few 1949 High Street shop images here. Presumably Historic England holds the complete collection?

Back