• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis's Department Store

Santa looks more like an extra from Aladdin on this photo, and the rest, the nurses from the carry on movies :)

I used to go there with Mom, during the war, when Dad was in Africa, and Italy. Father Christmas (as we all called him) was REAL to us, we didn't even think of his beard being false, we were children, with a child's outlook. Unlike some children these days, who are far too grown-up, and worldly wise, carrying their own phones... Google: Is Santa real? etc: etc, Such a shame..... Happy days.

Like you Gerry, I feel modern children have had their childhood stolen, purely a generational thing I suspect, but to my generation totally sad.Paul

Totally agree, it is sad. But then I guess they would call me a dinosaur, with old fashioned views. I remember the absolute excitement of lining up in Lewis's, the anticipation that I would meet the great man, and get a present! The journey in on the bus was exciting enough, let alone meeting Father Christmas! OMG! (as they would say today...... ha-ha.

Totally agree, it is sad. But then I guess they would call me a dinosaur, with old fashioned views. I remember the absolute excitement of lining up in Lewis's, the anticipation that I would meet the great man, and get a present! The journey in on the bus was exciting enough, let alone meeting Father Christmas! OMG! (as they would say today...... ha-ha.
Totally agree, the joy of Christmas has definitely changed now, kid's are just bombarded with toy adverts then on top of that the peer pressure of having the "cool" gift or toy and who's had the most.
I loved the build up to Christmas, the first thing was early December getting your radio and TV times magazine and sitting there on the night planning your Xmas viewing on only 3 channels, putting up the tree writing your cards for school , and, like you say that all important trip to see the big fella. Happy days, where did it all go wrong

Totally agree, the joy of Christmas has definitely changed now, kid's are just bombarded with toy adverts then on top of that the peer pressure of having the "cool" gift or toy and who's had the most.
I loved the build up to Christmas, the first thing was early December getting your radio and TV times magazine and sitting there on the night planning your Xmas viewing on only 3 channels, putting up the tree writing your cards for school , and, like you say that all important trip to see the big fella. Happy days, where did it all go wrong
Check out my post #153

Radio rails,what days did you go to see Father Chrismas that you could get to see him by the lift.Only time my Mom could take me was a Sat morning after working all week

I have no idea as I only went once and that was just after WW2 when I was nine, however, I suspect it was a weekday when not at school. The lift was always used from what I remember in all our visits to Greys and the Lewis store. At the time the gates were see through lattice as was the back and I used to watch for the counterweights to come up or go down.

Back