• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baskerville residential school/ hospital Yewcroft School

Thanks for your prompt reply l am looking for years between 1955 to 1961.

Hello Carol
just come across this thread

I was at Baskerville for 12months between 1960/61
I can remember the Littley,s mentioned in earlier posts and David Seymour along with a few others there

Regards
Mark Jackson

I was at Baskerville school from 1955 to 62 l remember it with fond memories. I recall bonfire nights watching from our dormitories with hot chocolate, also the shows we put on l was a black & minstrel.

hi carol i was at baskerville from 53_58 would love to talk to you about all those memories

I was at Baskerville 1953/ 5, Miss Hazel was our teacher. I had been in Little Bromwich Hospital 52/3 nearly a year with Alan Sambrook. He was also at Baskerville. I was a C red badge when I arrived and when blue and green A Could go on Animal duty and look after Tessa the donkey and all the goats. Remember the old car replica Genevieve which we loved to play on. We always went to a patomime each year. Sunday was first visit to the local Methodist church. and in the evening a Mr Warwick lead a service in our assembly room ( Still have my Golden Bells Hymn Book ) address... Baskerville. My name is David Sealey [email protected] I have lived in Munich 44 years and have just turned 75. Thank you Baskerville for a long and very eventful life.. Been around the world a few times......Nurse Bell was the heart and Soul of the place for me. I even passed the exams 12 + for Bournville Technical School while at Baskerville.

upload_2017-11-8_17-55-18.jpegMiss Hazel, my teacher, with Johny Johnson just outside the schoolrooms at playtime for the children who wore yellow ( D) who were not well enough to play in the grounds and gardens.

upload_2017-11-8_18-12-0.jpegI am 4th from the left standing in front of Rovert Norris, the first small boy was Alan.. We were all so smart to be off to the huge Scout Jubilee at Sutton Park with special appearence of one of the guys who climbed Everest.

upload_2017-11-8_18-23-11.jpegMe on the left of Alan Sambrook, we were together for about 9 months in Little Bromwich Hospital. He left first and came to Baskerville earlier than I did. I am looking quite ill here, bloated after 9 months in bed. I had to learn to walk again, and had both feet 'broken' reset in plast of Paris and huge 'climbing boots at the Woodlands Hospital, had to wear them for c 3 months.

upload_2017-11-8_18-27-38.jpegThe House from the garden and orchard. The girls lived in the old house, we boys were in two wards built at right angles at the side of the house. one with a ward for the younger boys and the other for the ones up to 13. Only girls were allowed to stay until 15/16.

Hi there,

I was a pupil at yewcroft school from 1982 - 1985 my name is Karen Harbourne if u was there same time as me would love 2 hear from u.
Hi I had the most amazing days at yewcroft remember so many hazel gibbons Mary hardy the list goes on would be nice to see some pics

Hi MIKEJEE, the maps you display are very interesting - this links into another thread that I have been looking at which has this Baskerville as a boarding school for asthmatics, etc which I attended in the early 60's and am very interested in the building and its origins - I note it is not there anymore, I rode past a short while ago and was devastated to see that it had gone. Any ideas what happened to it, and where could I get further information, plans etc?
Hi Dave
when was you at Baskerville Residential School for sick children. I was there 18months 1962/1963 my name was christine Roberts/Tina Roberts
often called Trina by Miss Faulkener. in 70s it was a naughty boys school who burnt the beautiful house. I put a picture of the back of the house. and grounds. not been on for a few years

An early image of Baskerville House which I wouldn't even hazard a guess at the date. As for the demolition of the building I suppose when it came to the end of its use it was deemed surplus to requirements and with the amount of land it was on it was thought more profitable to erect little box type apartments than convert the existing buildings. In the 1980's we worked on the conversion of Court Oak House next door into apartments and that looks much better than the ones next door.

Harborne Baskerville House Handicap School.JPG

I am trying to find out about Harborne history as my family lived there and my relation Freda Strawbridge was killed in a motorbike accident in 1936, I am trying to learn what the area was like at the time and I have just looked at a map and seen Baskerville House.

Can anyone tell me about Baskerville House, and any other places that may be of interest to me in Harborne.

Was there a link between Harborne and the Baskerville House in Cambridge Street?

I had Rheumatic fever at the age of 10 and I remember being there in the early 60’s. A cold winter springs to mind. I will never forget returning home and the rooms seemed so small to what I had become used to.
when I drive down Court Oak rd, see the park, brings back so many memories.

I was a resident of this school from 1962 until 1964. I was sent there to convalesce after I got rheumatic fever. I was initially very sad and homesick and missed my family terribly but I made friends with a boy called John Whitehouse (a friendship which lasted well into my teens) who helped me recover so much that I would call the period I spent at Baskerville one of the happiest of my life. A poster on this thread David Seymour I remember well and also the people he mentioned and many more. One reason for the homesickness was that visits from family were restricted to only one two hour visit per fortnight and only two people per visit. The sweets left by visitors were put in a box and we were only allowed something from the box on rare occasions, I think only after tea on Sundays.
Like David, I recall Nurses Bell and Southall and there was also an Irish and Scottish nurse there whose names I have forgotten. The husband of the Irish nurse would sometimes take us Catholics up to St Mary's church in Harborne for Mass. Also, we would sometimes be taken on little trips to the Clent Hills and once to see Aston Villa play Manchester United. Villa won 2-1, Denis Law was sent off and I remember the shaven headed Derek Dougan.

The headmistress was Miss Jenkins who seemed very severe and from another era. She had quarters on the first floor and I remember going there to earn part of my Cubs housekeeper badge. I was part of a class she supervised preparing for the 11 plus. She tried very hard to inculcate us with Greek mythology and also English literature.

Teachers I remember were Miss Burfitt who had a broad Lancashire accent. She was very warm and kind and led the assembly for us Catholics every morrning. A Scottish teacher Mrs Faulkner gained a reputation for giving lines as a punishment. Mr Edwards who gave some of us lessons in elementary woodwork but one of my dearest memories was him giving chemistry lectures and demonstrations in his house which was separate from the main school building. Unfortunately, these were spoiled as he insisted on total silence and things usually descended into him bawling at the top of his voice, which was sad as he clearly worked very hard to prepare these lessons for us. There was also a tall female teacher with a deep voice who encouraged my first efforts at English composition.

We slept in large dormitories. After lights out, we would spend many happy hours listening on small 'transistor' radio's to pirate radio stations Caroline and London as well as Luxembourg. Some of us would go for nocturnal walks around the school grounds on exciting 'dares'. Sometimes we would even meet up with a party from the girls dormitories.

Other inmates I recall were Michael Noonan, whose sister Pat also worked at the school, Peter Stewart, Michael Ullah, Alistair Kavanagh, Pat Naughton, Janice Robinson, Michael White and Tony Douglas. There was a system of coloured badges which indicated how active or quiet you had to be which ranged from yellow with green stripe (quiet D) who had to only walk and talk quietly to green who could run and shout.

When you had a cold you were sent to a separate ward called Isolation until you were well again. We had different teachers to the rest of the school and I remember getting lessons in art from a teacher who taught us to closely observe the lovely garden scenes through the windows and try to paint them.

There was a room near the front door which was used as a TV room where we watched the very first episodes of Doctor Who and also Diskjock Jury (I'll give it foyve). This was near the magnificent entrance area which had a beautiful polished wooden floor and carved wooden staircase. The fireplace also was impressive which in the winter often had a real fire. On the first floor there was a banister which went all around. At Christmas the staff would all gather around this banister and together with us children sing Christmas carols before the beautifully decorated Christmas tree. It was here that I read in the morning newspaper about the death of President Kennedy.

It was really hard to begin with but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
I am the MICHAEL White you refer to. I can’t remember names in such detail, I

Just found this photo of headmistress of Baskerville circa 1960 . Taken on a boat trip at Evesham L to R , Barry Baker, Me ,Ms Jenkins and David Littley. Also a random view from the play area.

Attachments

• A9D2E74C-E98E-47BC-829E-0EAC0BB7CFA6.jpeg
    A9D2E74C-E98E-47BC-829E-0EAC0BB7CFA6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 2E25B473-04C2-4281-A729-C8E70D39232B.jpeg
    2E25B473-04C2-4281-A729-C8E70D39232B.jpeg
    910 KB · Views: 33
Back