• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Street Mission Church

A suggestion regarding the removal of the turrets might be for easier maintenance - maybe they let in rainwater?
The children's photo (post 16) mentions the shop. This reminded me that shops that were allowed to be opened on Sundays, in past times, were generally only allowed to sell certain goods. I remember going to a small store in 1954 and being told by the shopkeeper that the batteries (for a portable radio I think) that I wanted were not allowed to be sold on Sundays. Be that, as it may have been, I still got the batteries - and without any fight!! :D

A suggestion regarding the removal of the turrets might be for easier maintenance - maybe they let in rainwater?
The children's photo (post 16) mentions the shop. This reminded me that shops that were allowed to be opened on Sundays, in past times, were generally only allowed to sell certain goods. I remember going to a small store in 1954 and being told by the shopkeeper that the batteries (for a portable radio I think) that I wanted were not allowed to be sold on Sundays. Be that, as it may have been, I still got the batteries - and without any fight!! :D

Hi Radiorails,

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm sure this was the place where both my Mom & Nan used to go to get their Co-op dividend prior to Christmas.

Lozellian.

I doubt it Lozellian, it was a small place in South Devon, where I have lived since 1954. I never lived within Birmingham city boundaries, but south of them in Warwickshire and a brief spell (3 - 5 years old in Worcestershire).

Not a great photo, but the Band of Hope Choir deserves some recognition here. What a big shield that is ! Viv.

Screenshot_20230716_193639_Chrome.jpgSource: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
As I was reading all this about Lozells St. Methodist Church I was trying to imagine where it was. I had an aunt who lived in Lozells St., Olivier Wiggin and we visited her many many times, but I still can't remember seeing the Church. I would appreciate it if someone can tell me exactly where it was. Also the address of my Aunt, I am not sure if it was 92 or 96,
Thanks in advance

She lived at 92 Johnny. Viv.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717_105352_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717_105352_Chrome.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This is #92 Lozells Street - still there 2nd front door from te left) The houses are named as Trafalgar Place.

Screenshot_20230717_110342_Maps.jpg

The Church/Hall/Centre is a little further down the street on the opposite side. Also still there. Screenshot_20230717_110116_Maps.jpg

Nice to be able to say, much of the street in terms of buildings remains as it was all those years ago.

Viv.

The history of the Hall and Chapel/Church from British History Online:

"Lozells Street chapel, a brick building seating 1,000, was opened by the Wesleyans in 1894, and cost £4,462. In 1909 a second chapel hall and a social club were added, and there were further alterations in the 1930s. In 1940 the premises comprised a main hall seating 900, and twelve ancillary rooms, of which three were built as school halls. The church originated as a mission founded before 1878 in rooms in Porchester Street, and taken over in that year by the George Street church. The mission was shortly afterwards transferred to the Lozells Street Board School, where in 1892 there was a Sunday evening congregation of 820. Church membership in 1932 was 289".

Viv

1894 + 57 give 1951

But mission founded 1878. So 1878 + 57 gives 1935 and Oct 27th 1935 was a Sunday.

Last edited:
jan i was going on vivs post saying lozells st chapel was opened in 1894...the original one in porchester st was opened in 1898..
Doesn't 1894 + 57 give 1951?

But mission founded 1878. So 1878 + 57 gives 1935 and Oct 27th 1935 was a Sunday.
typo error jan.....edited my post

According to this piece on the LMCC site it has Grade 2 listed status. Viv

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717_111509_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717_111509_Chrome.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 11
and this from planning..i must make sure those chimney stacks are still there next time i go past unless street view will show them

Application NumberSite AddressDevelopment DescriptionStatusDate ReceivedApplication Decision
2018/10129/PAMethodist Church 163 Gerrard Street Birmingham B19 2AHListed building consent for the demolition of two chimney stacks to rear of hallFinal Decision17-12-2018Refuse

Back