• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I can now reveal it was, Ann George.
I'm joking, it was actually John Forgeham, who played Jim Baines, who I think was a mechanic in the soap. He was quite an accomplished actor; he was one of Michael Caine's gang in The Italian Job and he was in one of the scariest play's ever shown (it was to me, any way) on British television, The Stone Tape. Sadly he died after breaking his collar bone in 2017.
The Guardian obituary link is very informative:

I can now reveal it was, Ann George.
I'm joking, it was actually John Forgeham, who played Jim Baines, who I think was a mechanic in the soap. He was quite an accomplished actor; he was one of Michael Caine's gang in The Italian Job and he was in one of the scariest play's ever shown (it was to me, any way) on British television, The Stone Tape. Sadly he died after breaking his collar bone in 2017.
The Guardian obituary link is very informative:

Thanks for that info. I didn't realise he was brought up in Birmingham, I always thought his accent was a little bit "forced". I also didn't realise he was a talented footballer and on Aston Villa's books in his youth.

Anyone got any memories and information about nighclubs in Brum, from any time last century?

Some names of ones that I remember and went to...

Samanthas (was over Silver Blades ice skating rink in Hurst? St)

Pollyannas (Newhall? St.)

The Locarno (definitely Hurst St. with the Bali Hai one at the back)
I remember this band..
John Kerton fronted the successful U.K. function band Red Sun who were the resident band at the Birmingham Locarno for eight years. https://www.brumbeat.net/andicaps.htm

Just found this out
The Tower Ballroom closes its doors at the end of 2005 after more than 50 years https://www.saga.co.uk/1057fm/pages/lisEvent.asp?id=5373
went there once...

Snobs (didn't like that one much)

There was one in the same road where Bingley Hall was (can't remember what it was called..brain's not working too good lately :D) saw Herbie Hancock there...and Deaf School, and AC/DC :eek: (not my choice...just a crowd I was with at the time)

Any more? ...or any memories? :)

I remember seeing The Move at the Belfry. We were at the back and decided to stand on a table in order to see them. Alright for 5 minutes then the weight of half a dozen teenagers became too much for it and the legs gave way. We were unceremoniously dumped in a huge heap on the floor and covered in spilt beer! :oops: :oops: :)

I remember seeing The Move at the Belfry. We were at the back and decided to stand on a table in order to see them. Alright for 5 minutes then the weight of half a dozen teenagers became too much for it and the legs gave way. We were unceremoniously dumped in a huge heap on the floor and covered in spilt beer! :oops: :oops: :)

Hi jmadone,

Check out you tube there's a lot of film re: Birmingham Pubs & Nightclubs of the 70's & 80's, last time I looked there were 3 parts available to view each lasting around 10 minutes or so; brought back a few memories I can tell you ha ha.

Lozellian.

The name Ridgeway Georgian also rings a bell but I think it was Knickers before or became The Ridgeway Georgian after, but would not swear to in a Court of law as time erases but definatlty was Knickers at some stage, just to confuse matters next door to the RAF club used to be home to a club called ' The Oasis ' bar opposite what is now the FCH social club
It was The Ridgeway Georgian and became Nickers on a Sunday Night. I had wonderful times there. Going to the Garden Gate pub before the club - left at lights bottom of hill!. Loved Maggie May by Rod Stewart because a girl I think was called Maggie would always dance to it -beautiful as I recall. I think she was going out with the owners son at the time. I recall Steve Dutton and his brother being there each Sunday too, actually it was always the same people. Wonderful.

Anyone got any memories and information about nighclubs in Brum, from any time last century?

Some names of ones that I remember and went to...

Samanthas (was over Silver Blades ice skating rink in Hurst? St)

Pollyannas (Newhall? St.)

The Locarno (definitely Hurst St. with the Bali Hai one at the back)
I remember this band..
John Kerton fronted the successful U.K. function band Red Sun who were the resident band at the Birmingham Locarno for eight years. https://www.brumbeat.net/andicaps.htm

Just found this out
The Tower Ballroom closes its doors at the end of 2005 after more than 50 years https://www.saga.co.uk/1057fm/pages/lisEvent.asp?id=5373
went there once...

Snobs (didn't like that one much)

There was one in the same road where Bingley Hall was (can't remember what it was called..brain's not working too good lately :D) saw Herbie Hancock there...and Deaf School, and AC/DC :eek: (not my choice...just a crowd I was with at the time)

Any more? ...or any memories? :)
We used go to Night and Day and then to Mr Moons - by the old ATV studios ....

I'm coming into this later (but better than never!), so forgive me. I grew up as a teenager in Birmingham in the 1970s and used to pass many of the clubs that have been mentioned when I wandered around town whilst waiting for my mom who
worked in the Coop restaurant in the basement of the building in High Street (I recall it had a tunnel under the road that linked the two buildings owned by the Coop.

Anyway, by the time I started going to clubs in the late 70s many had changed. My first experience was an 18th birthday party at Snobs in December 1978 and which moved only a couple of years ago. I recall going to the Romulus on the Hagely Road and the two at Five Ways, Faces and Maximilian's.

One place l frequented a fair bit was Boogies which, in 1980 when I first went was seen as the height of sophistication. During the Motor Show that was on at the NEC it opened until 4.00 which I believe is pretty normal now bit was regarded as decadent and I stuck it to the end but I remember only a handful of people being left (and the bouncer Nobby being asleep on a couch!!!)

One place I really enjoyed which, though not a nightclub, was a weird and fascinating place for an 18 year old in 1978; Hosteria Number One on Hurst Street which was one of the new wine bars to open. I have heard that Boy George used to go there when he was working in these parts and that Duran Duran used to play there before they became famous. At some point or other I think I went to every other place in Birmingham but remember that because it was free to have a party there, going to loads of birthday events at Peppermint Place which always had a feeling of being slightly ramshackle. I also remember going to a fair few parties in Pollyannas on Newall Street.

Great days and, by and large, I never saw any trouble (or drugs). My big regret is that I didn't take a camera so I'd now have photos to see how those places looked.

Last edited:
I'm coming into this later (but better than never!), so forgive me. I grew up as a teenager in Birmingham in the 1970s and used to pass many of the clubs that have been mentioned when I wandered around town whilst waiting for my mom who
worked in the Coop restaurant in the basement of the building in High Street (I recall it had a tunnel under the road that linked the two buildings owned by the Coop.

Anyway, by the time I started going to clubs in the late 70s many had changed. My first experience was an 18th birthday party at Snobs in December 1978 and which moved only a couple of years ago. I recall going to the Romulus on the Hagely Road and the two at Five Ways, Faces and Maximilian's.

One place l frequented a fair bit was Boogies which, in 1980 when I first went was seen as the height of sophistication. During the Motor Show that was on at the NEC it opened until 4.00 which I believe is pretty normal now bit was regarded as decadent and I stuck it to the end but I remember only a handful of people being left (and the bouncer Nobby being asleep on a couch!!!)

One place I really enjoyed which, though not a nightclub, was a weird and fascinating place for an 18 year old in 1978; Hosteria Number One on Hurst Street which was one of the new wine bars to open. I have heard that Boy George used to go there when he was working in these parts and that Duran Duran used to play there before they became famous. At some point or other I think I went to every other place in Birmingham but remember that because it was free to have a party there, going to loads of birthday events at Peppermint Place which always had a feeling of being slightly ramshackle. I also remember going to a fair few parties in Pollyannas on Newall Street.

Great days and, by and large, I never saw any trouble (or drugs). My big regret is that I didn't take a camera so I'd now have photos to see how those places looked.
Thanks for your memories- I loved Boogies and like you never saw any sign of drugs but perhaps I was too naive!
We never took cameras out with us in those days, not like having an iphone now was it?!

Welcome Steven Mc. Great memories. I too had similar experiences, though at different clubs during the 70's, especially daddy long legs. Some great memories from those days, & as you say, no trouble (or very little) & definitely no drugs, though there were a few out of the city which I kept away from.

Yes great days I remember Nobby I worked with him at Fruit Veg Market 3;30 am Strart

Back